• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billviverette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2015
    I made a pretty good deal online on Good Friday. Fountain Firearms in west Houston was on the list of FFL's. I thought why not, they are not too far away and I have been going into their store more than 20 years.

So I went in and identified myself, and he pulled out my shipment. I filled out the 4473 and went to pay him. I handed him $40.00 expecting a standard $35.00 transfer. He said no sir that will be $85.00!!

They must be associated with cheaper than dirt in their outrageous fees.
    They will never see me in there again.
    I'm sure someone has asked this, but didn't you ask about the cost beforehand?

BillV
    Guns International

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    My current FFL in B/CS is reasonable. Now I have dealt with him several times now and recently had him build me 3 gun upper. Not that I'm ill-equipped to do so but wanted to step out of my comfort zone for a build. I think if you do so frequently enough most cut you a break.

I understand some charge higher prices to discourage transfers or to encourage you to buy from them. Transfers for the most part require very little work and it's all profit. To each their own and I'll gladly patronizine those willing to work with me.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    A gentleman came in the other day...said he went to the gun shops in Corpus and with the exception of one, said they would not do a transfer from out of state from a private individual. The one shop that said they would told him it would be $90.00.

Granted this is what he says happened. We charge $25.00 for transfers, and I know some folks think that is too high too. We did the transfer for him. I'm hearing transfers in San Antonio are $40.00 and up from some customers also. Seems transfer fees are on the rise and vary greatly from shop to shop.
    Maybe there are NOT in the gun business but in the paperwork business at those stupid rates...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Find a local FFL who charges decent prices, and give them all of your business.

There are tons of sources to find an FFL and their prices, even yelp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yakdung

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
    I believe the $85.00 fee goes away, if you purchase $85.00 worth of in store mechandise along with the tranfered firearm to their store. That's the way it was expained to me awhile back. You might want to give them a call to verify this. Me, I voted with my wallet and feet and moved on to another store.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Most all around here charge $25. I know of one place that charges $20, but driving 20 miles further through the traffic to save $5 isn't worth it.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    A gentleman came in the other day...said he went to the gun shops in Corpus and with the exception of one, said they would not do a transfer from out of state from a private individual. The one shop that said they would told him it would be $90.00.

Granted this is what he says happened. We charge $25.00 for transfers, and I know some folks think that is too high too. We did the transfer for him. I'm hearing transfers in San Antonio are $40.00 and up from some customers also. Seems transfer fees are on the rise and vary greatly from shop to shop.

When I lived down there. The cheapest transfer I found was 30 bucks(in corpus). In an actual retail store. The rest of the yahoos were in the 40 dollar range.

One guy had a sign. Private transfers 40 bucks. Transfers from Buds 65 dollars.

I’d always try to accessorize at the ffl. Magazines bag or case. But most of the time they were hostile. It’s a rough town.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You're right, I should set up a gofundme account.
    OT, but have you seen that Gun Collective video where they talk about how not to get into the gun business? Someone set up a gofundme to get money to open a gun shop. Period. They were promoting it as a pro-2A donation but they really just wanted free money to start a retail store.

So, you were joking. But some people actually do it and are serious about it. How entitled does someone have to be? It boggles the mind.

Top Bottom