• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Took the AR to the range today, went through a couple of black hills 223 boxes without any issues & then cracked open my first box of Freedom Munitions Reman 223.

Few rounds in & it jams, I was struggling to clear it (charging handle wouldn't retract) when the range officer popped over & gave me a hand.

Got it up and running but 4 or 5 rounds later it again failed to chamber the round:

1.jpg

This time I manage to clear it & take a look at the bullet:

2.jpg

Initially I thought this was a cracked case with a bullet wedged inside it (I've little experience with 223, under 1000 rounds):

3.jpg

Before finishing up for the day I showed the range officer the bullet & with a little twist he revealed what had actually happened:

4.jpg

The round shot before the failure had split in two, as it was extracted the top half remained wedged in the chamber and a fresh round was rammed into it....

My guess is that the 223 reman brass was weak & unfortunately FM's QA didn't catch this before it was reloaded, hence the split case.

I've shot a reasonable amount of their 9mm both new & reman without any issues so it's a shame for this to happen with the first box of 223

Luckily I only had the one box.

This could well be an isolated incident/batch issue, but if I was to order any significant amount of 223 from them today I'd spend the extra few bucks to get new & only get a few trial boxes of reman.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Military Camp

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thanks for the heads up. I have shot hundreds of their 9mm, .357 mag, and .45 ACP without incident. I was getting ready to go in on a pallet of their new 5.56. May just buy a couple of boxes and test them out first.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I have shot a good amount of their .233 and 5.56 reman stuff and haven't had any issues.

I also had some of their reman .45 ACP and noticed before I put it in the magazine of my 1911 that it was seated way deep in the casing.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I had similar issues with 556 and Freedom was very receptive when contacted and got a full refund.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is a very odd spot for a rifle case to split. Usually it is at the neck or the head seperates, one end or the other not the middle. That piece of brass must be very brittle. Not a good sign.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    Call them they will make it right. I just got off the range and was shooting reman 40s&w with out a hiccup
    pe4a4ase.jpg

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I had similar issues with 556 and Freedom was very receptive when contacted and got a full refund.

I was wrong ... my issue was with 300 BLK, not 556.
    And they made it right.

I have shot a lot of Freedom pistol rounds without an issue, though.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I've had no problems at all with their 9mm.

Even with this issue I'm still a big fan of FM, ~$10 a box is really significant when shooting 300+ rounds a week.

I'll probably just add a few bucks to each order to get new rather than reman.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    5.56 M-193 55 gr. FMJ New Box of 200 = $66

I feel confident in ordering it seeing that stand behind their product. Guess I'll order some with my fingers crossed.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    I've had no issues with new 5.56 & they did replace the box of 223 reman. Still a fan of fm, but I do keep an eye on the brass for issues. I think it's free delivery at the moment too.

Top Bottom