• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Order arrived today, puts arrival time at just under 2 weeks. First thoughts are that it looks pretty clean, and I'm a big fan of the plastic boxes over the cardboard. I put 10 647gr FMJ rounds in the caliper and have to say that this is not $2/rnd match ammo. Max difference in COAL was 11/1000". That is from one coming in at 5.430 to 1 at 5.420. Most came in between .421 and .425. Some of it could also be on me cause I was havin alittle trouble keeping the rounds lined up good in the caliper which was about maxed out. Plan to shoot some by saterday and see how they do :)

05172012714.jpg

05172012715.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, I couldn't wait. Went out to shoot a few rounds and see if they would solve my stuck case problem, and theyy did. As far as the ammunition itself. Chambered 4 rnds, fired 3. The first didn't go boom. Thinking it was more the rifle than the ammo. The primer had an indention but seing as I am running an upper it still probably doesn't strike quite as hard. I did try the rnd twice though. The next three fired first time no problem. Horizontal spread was .7 inches, vertical was 3.2. Mostly meaningless I guess due to being only 3 rnds fired. I blame the vertical spread on an $80 scope that just can't take the recoil. I figure it's enough to show the rounds PROBABLY arn't scattering all over the paper unless my scope was bouncing just right to compensate horizontally.

Anyways, for those that were interested, thats what I got so far. That was the 647 gr ball. Looking forward to playing with some APIs and incendiaries this weekend.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I had to put an extra power spring in my lower to guarantee consistent first hit firings. Sometimes surplus military stuff had real hard primers, don't usually see if on reloaded ammo though.

Sounds like you like it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Those rounds are freaking HUGE! LOL
    That's it I have nothing relevant to add, I just thought I'd point out how damn big they were.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, the lower came with a stronger spring. Looking back at the cases the 3 that fired had noticably deeper primer strikes. It was also the first time fireing it with a new lower so it may be possible that had something to do with it I guess but I doubt it. Gonna be on the look out for any extra extra stiff springs incase it becomes a recurring problem. I figure it's most likey the one round had an extra hard primer cup since I've had no problems with any AE milsurp fireing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Shooting a Saftey Harber SHTF50 upper on an ATI lower with PRS2 stock and limbsaver recoil pad
    SAM_2144.jpg

It's the top one BTW

and thanks for the excuse to post another pick.

Where you at?

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Shooting a Saftey Harber SHTF50 upper on an ATI lower with PRS2 stock and limbsaver recoil pad
    SAM_2144.jpg

It's the top one BTW

and thanks for the excuse to post another pick.

Where you at?

Hamilton County. I like that. Where and how much was it if I may ask?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The upper is out of florida from safety harbor firearms. It was just under $1600 for a 29''.

I've got about 600 tied up in the lower, stock bipod, ect. And need to drop some cash on a scope.

Maybe we can figure out somewhere near meridian for a range day sometime.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    One word of caution, don't buy any of the Hornady 750gr A-Max bullets.

First they are $5 a shot

Second, and most important, they are too pretty to shoot!

Got a few boxes, and have not yet been able to bring myself to load and pull the trigger on one
    So just a waste of money, now have "safe queen" ammo as well as guns.

(If you are man enough to overcome those hurdles, I understand they are unbeatable for performance.)

AMax.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    considered getting a box someday, wonder if they will ever give them a green tip for zombies

At the ranges I'm shooting now I definatly can't justify buying any match grade ammo.

Top Bottom