• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I went to the Friends of NRA dinner in Conroe last week. Had a great dinner, got to hang out with a bunch of gun-loving folks, and even won a few things. A great night!

But the attendance was about half of the most I've seen for Conroe. Several of the dinners I attended last year also had smaller crowds. I don't understand why.

FNRA is NOT the political part of NRA. They raise funds for things like improved equipment for local law enforcement, and for JROTC programs in area schools. It has a great positive effect on keeping the 2nd Amendment alive. The dinners include great food and many great prize drawings (for guns and such!) and a live auction. They go out of their way to honor veterans, even letting them eat first.

Take a look at the list of events and find one near you. Click this link: Texas FNRA Dinners. Try it and you may find that you have a great time!

But if there's some reason you just can't bring yourself to go, I'm interested in hearing what that is.
    DK Firearms

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Because you have to be a high roller to have a real chance to win anything more than a doodad.
    I have been to a couple. The last one I went to, at Conroe, my buddy and I spent about $600 combined. Between us, I walked away with water bottle. The people winning guns were spending thousands.
    I could just go to my LGS and buy the gun I wanted for that kind of money.
    As a fundraiser I guess it’s nice, though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We attend at least 2 a year - sometimes as many as 6-8. I have the Oliver North .45 ordered already, and will doubtless spend another $4-7k at our event. Supporting the various programs of the Friends of NRA is, IMO, vital to the continuance of our sport. I sincerely hope the day never comes that you WISH you'd have spent that $600.....

And I've seen more than one attendee win NICE guns that only bought one $20 raffle ticket.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Same reason I don’t do Ducks Unlimited, Turkey something or another, and any of the other causes. I’m burned out from giving. It’s gotten to the point that restaurants and grocery stores ask for a donation.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I just don't like PEOPLE. More of them are liars and cheats than aren't and the ones left are pretty much just lazy.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I just don't like PEOPLE. More of them are liars and cheats than aren't and the ones left are pretty much just lazy.

Damn......how cynical.

While I don't dispute there are plenty of liars, cheats and otherwise lazy 'ner-do-wells scattered amoungst us, most of the folks I choose to hang out with or otherwise call my friends and acquaintances are pretty decent at a minimum. Maybe I'm being naive, but seems that an NRA fundraising event might bring out a more decent class of the freedom-loving type.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Damn......how cynical.

While I don't dispute there are plenty of liars, cheats and otherwise lazy 'ner-do-wells scattered amoungst us, most of the folks I choose to hang out with or otherwise call my friends and acquaintances are pretty decent at a minimum. Maybe I'm being naive, but seems that an NRA fundraising event might bring out a more decent class of the freedom-loving type.

We are who we associate with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Damn......how cynical.

My own FRIENDS are as well. Me and MY friends could ALL sit around one table at McDonalds. I'll decide who my friends are.

I've "joined" up enough stuff and groups I'm not near as optimistic as you still are.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
      giphy.gif
      1.4 MB · Views: 391

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It seemed to be just a big raffle to win a gun, which is not a bad thing, but like was mentioned, you had to spend big money to have a chance.
    Other than that, I’m just not into benefit dinners like that.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Same reason I don’t do Ducks Unlimited, Turkey something or another, and any of the other causes. I’m burned out from giving. It’s gotten to the point that restaurants and grocery stores ask for a donation.

40 years ago, was a big supporter of DU and gave thousands yearly. Got to where the events were costing more in administration, and bringing in fewer dollars to put where it counts.

What started out as an effective organization turned into an industry pushing 'feel good', at the expense of the original goal.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    In NY, the only people who won firearms were the friends and family of the organizers. I didn't see the point of attending.

In NV, they were always held in establishments that prohibited firearms carry. I didn't see the point of attending.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas

They have a support group for folks with your issues. Meets at the local bar every night.

I guess if you've become a hermit, good luck with that.

There are still quite a few of us that are trying to affect change by encouraging the good folks who support the 2nd A. and give respect to good folks.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I joined the Friends of the NRA committee and worked for them. It was fun, the people were great and I helped at one of the banquets. But then, met the District Rep. Being nice here...…….. mouthy and a micro manager. Dropped it like a hot rock.

Sidebar...…. TXR. It's great to see you back!

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    In NY, the only people who won firearms were the friends and family of the organizers. I didn't see the point of attending.

In NV, they were always held in establishments that prohibited firearms carry. I didn't see the point of attending.

It might seem that way to you, but having worked on the committees since the year after they started, I can assure you that we buy tickets with the same odds of anyone else. Yes - there have been events I've attended where I "won" a lot of stuff.....but I also spent a lot of $$$.

The point of attending is to support the firearms sports. The forum in which they are held being anti-gun IS a shame - and one I WOULD be discussing with the organizers, but without knowing more about it I can't comment. It might be a situation where the only venues available have that posting, so it's either do your best or don't do it. But as my pa used to say - "Son, a man looking for an excuse can always find one. It's the one that continues because it's the right thing to do that you want to follow."

Top Bottom