• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLMcC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Hello everyone, my name Is Jack and I've lived in San Antonio for 20 yrs now.
    Retired military (and retired again) with a lot of family around the area.
    I've been around long guns all my life but have never owned a handgun. Now seems like my time to change that. I'd like to get two handguns, one for me and one for my wife, and take a concealed carry course for both of us shortly thereafter. The only handguns I'm familiar with are the .45 caliber 1911s from my Navy days. I like those but they seem "supersized" for concealed carry (but just right for home defense).

I've been observing occasionally for quite awhile but figured I should get my two posts in before I start searching in earnest for sidearms.

Since I am a relative rookie, my goal for now is to gather good information and start processing. TGT seems like a great place for that.

Thanks for a Texas specific place to start looking and get smarter on guns.

Jack McC
    Texas SOT

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Howdy and welcome to TGT.

Pistols are like women, theres always lots of options but you know you've got the right one when your holding it.
    Tons of options...single actions like the 1911. Double action Cz75, Berreta f92. Striker fire would be Glocks. Then theres all metal, plastic & hybrid, has metal slide with plastic lower. Full size, compact & sub compact.
    Then theres the way each manufacturer has their controls, safety, slide release, etc.
    How does each gun shoot as far a perceived recoil... 380, 9mm, .40, 10mm & .45 vs barrel length & weight of firearm.
    Best thing to do is find a range that rents & try as many as you can.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Welcome to the forum, sir............. from just up the road a bit! There are some options if you were considering a 1911, the full size, commander, and the defender and these can be had in 9mm, 45ACP, (and 10mm if you're interested in cannons!).

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    orig.gif

Attachments

• orig.gif
      orig.gif
      5.6 KB · Views: 183

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Welcome from just outside 1604 near bulverde. If you like 1911s then look at the commander and defender sizes. I've been carrying a colt defender in ..45acp for over 3 years .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you feel the 1911 is too large to carry, look at some of the compact pistols like S&W M&P 2.0 Compact or Glock 19. I think Beretta even makes a compact 92 now. Or you can go even smaller with a subcompact Shield or Glock 43.

Top Bottom