• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoinFinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2018
    Haslet, TX
    Hey All, I found this forum this morning while searching on TX gun laws.

I'm 50 years old, and recently went through some mid-life problems. In January I lost my mom due to cancer. At the time I was going through a divorce from a 21 year marriage. In June I was diagnosed with a similar cancer that my mom passed from, and so I chose to be treated at MD Anderson, and to facilitate that I bought a house in the Fort Worth area and dove immediately into treatment. I finished treatment in September and moved into my new house, and began the recuperation phase. That's been a very difficult road, and there was a lot of rough days and nights that I'm happy to say I got through with a much stronger faith and positive outlook that I gained in going through all of this.

Anyhow, I'm a long time shooter. I was an avid shooter in CA, and lived there all my life. Due to the politics, gun laws, traffic, high prices, and everything else, I was looking for just about any reason to get out of CA - and when I got my cancer diagnosis it was clear that TX was the place to go - it was on my short list already along with ID and NC, but MD Anderson being in Houston cinched the deal. I found a wonderful house in Haslet and bought it immediately, and have been very happy with it.

Other hobbies include Amateur radio and amateur radio contesting, fast cars, espresso and coffee and coffee roasting, metal detecting, fly fishing, and most geek things. I work in high tech.

Please don't hate me because I'm from CA - I promise I'm not like most of the CA types - I respect TX completely for what TX stands for, and am a very faithful person, law abiding, and very supportive of individual rights, religious freedom, and all the other things that are starkly NOT CA "benefits".

I really like the area I'm in, and am looking forward to learning more about local gun/sportsman clubs, training, and community service in ways I can give back a bit...

Thanks for making this community - I'm looking forward to reading, learning and getting to know folks here...

Jeff in Haslet
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The fly rod would be good on perch. Early in the morning or latter in the evening. You could probably get a gar cruising the top of the water to hit the fly.

The sunfish and bluegill should tear the hell out of it. Really go after it.

None of the waters around here are cold enough for trout. Texas Parks and Wildlife keeps trying to stock places though.

CoinFinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2018
    Haslet, TX
    The fly rod would be good on perch. Early in the morning or latter in the evening. You could probably get a gar cruising the top of the water to hit the fly.

The sunfish and bluegill should tear the hell out of it. Really go after it.

None of the waters around here are cold enough for trout. Texas Parks and Wildlife keeps trying to stock places though.
    Its on my list to start finding some fly fishing opportunities around me - I've been out of the sport for a while but my dad and I had a fly shop for ~30 years when I was a kid, put me through college, and I learned everything you can imagine about fly fishing. Most of that was trout and cooler water fly fishing, but I'm willing to try anything - its all good - so will likely be moving this direction in the spring when the weather becomes more conducive to it...

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Hey happy to have you and glad you're through your treatment. I wish you would have contacted us sooner. We have about a dozen members in the Fort Worth area and from what I've seen most of them are pretty awesome guys. I may be moving out of the area next month but if you need anything until then let me know. I've got a little free time.

CoinFinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2018
    Haslet, TX
    Hey happy to have you and glad you're through your treatment. I wish you would have contacted us sooner. We have about a dozen members in the Fort Worth area and from what I've seen most of them are pretty awesome guys. I may be moving out of the area next month but if you need anything until then let me know. I've got a little free time.
    Awesome, thank you - and I just found this place but am diggin it! I appreciate the kind offer, thank you!

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Welcome to Texas. We Texans welcome others as long as they leave their liberal ways at the border. Since you don't have any you will fit in just fine.Hope you beat your medical problems.

CoinFinder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2018
    Haslet, TX
    Welcome to Texas. We Texans welcome others as long as they leave their liberal ways at the border. Since you don't have any you will fit in just fine.Hope you beat your medical problems.

Liberal ways left far behind - but truthfully they never existed, so honestly never had any to leave :)

I think health-wise I'm on the mend and look forward to better times ahead.

For all my middle-aged male brethren here, if you have any anomalies in your throat that don't resolve in a couple weeks, PLEASE have them checked out. HPV+ throat cancer is becoming an epidemic in middle aged healthy men that DON'T smoke. I was as healthy and healthy living as it gets, and it got me, but I am beating it!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom