• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Steve Urban, former Marine (GySgt 77-95) and retiring soon from Civil Service here in 29 Palms. CA Native (1959) but moved around some as a kid (dad was in Air Force) and even more as a Marine. My wife and I really like 29 Palms due to the small town environment, along with the shooting/recreation opportunities it offers and would happily stay here if it was in AZ or NV. However the CA PC liberal/EBT BS is getting too much to bear.

Looking to possibly move (in a year or so) to Graham where my son and his family live. Another possibility is somewhere in Palo Pinto county maybe south of the 20 near Gordon or around Graford. I'm not entirely new to TX since I previously lived in Del Rio as a kid when my dad was stationed there but honestly don't remember anything of it.

While my son has recently gotten back into shooting, he has only done so at his mother-in-law's property and has no knowledge of what's available, so if anyone has any info on where to shoot in those locations please speak up (here or via PM). Also open to leads on properties in those areas that might be available. Living in 29 means we will not be selling the stereotypical $500K+ CA house and sitting on a wad of cash, so the cheaper the better.

In 29 we have a great members only range that has facilities for pistol/rifle/shotgun/and more for only $60 a year. Is there anything like that in the Graham area?

In 29 we can also just head out to BLM land in the desert and blast away but I get the impression that's not the case in TX.

Thanks in advance.
    Semper Fi
    Hurley's Gold

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Buy enough land, you don't much care what the surrounding law is. I just bought 33 acres along a hillside - turns out I have a natural 50 yd flat spot that makes a great handgun range. Near Granbury, a somewhat long bit SSE of Graham (Graham does have some remarkable countryside but not enough water!). Point is, land isn't so expensive you can't buy around 10 acres or more, and have your own range. Just pick your spot!!

The general case is 10 acres is about what you need for a private handgun range. You can still get close enough to a populated area, but out of the immediate developments with of 80' lots; you have a bunch of flexibility, but the grocery stores, Home Depot, and some restaurants, are still close enough.

House is near-built. Gonna love it out there!

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Welcome to TGT and Semper Fi! I dimly recall knowing a SSGT Urban when I was at Camp Pendleton at either mainside or 2/1 who was a tech of some kind (radio or crypto tech?). I was a 2512/2513 at this time and would have been with either a wire platoon/comm company at H&S Battalion 1st MarDiv or 2/1 Comm Platoon...This would have been in the 84-87 time frame..

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    maybe south of the 20 near Gordon or around Graford.

Howdy and welcome.

First, thank you for your life-long commitment to keeping my family and me secure and free.
    And God bless your family for their sacrifice to you doing so.

Second, lose the "the" in front of 20.

;)

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Truly, thank you for your service.
    I'm an escapee of the San Fernando valley.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Howdy and welcome.

First, thank you for your life-long commitment to keeping my family and me secure and free.
    And God bless your family for their sacrifice to you doing so.

Second, lose the "the" in front of 20.

;)
    LOL I forgot that "the 20" is a CA thing. At least I know enough to say North/South/East/West Texas and not Southern Texas. :D

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Well that sounds suspiciously like ME!

As a 2861 (Radio Tech) I was the Comm Maint Chief for 2/1 Comm from 86-89 and did two WestPacs with them. Though I don't look anything like you might remember from back then....think balding Santa now. LOL

What's your name?

Welcome to TGT and Semper Fi! I dimly recall knowing a SSGT Urban when I was at Camp Pendleton at either mainside or 2/1 who was a tech of some kind (radio or crypto tech?). I was a 2512/2513 at this time and would have been with either a wire platoon/comm company at H&S Battalion 1st MarDiv or 2/1 Comm Platoon...This would have been in the 84-87 time frame..

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Yeah I had figured out the "lots of land" part but there was a small 6 acre farmstead with a house built in 1874 on the edge of Graford that I wouldn't mind, as long as there was someplace close I could shoot. Though since that looks like it isn't really an option and I can't shoot on the property itself since it's too small and next door to the school, I guess I will cross it off my list.

I gather the "10 acres" is for within city limits, as my son's MIL shoots pistol/rifle/shotgun on her 6 acre rural property north of Graham.

I had actually seen a place for sale in Granbury and while a nice area, I crossed it off the list since it was too far from Graham and too close to Dallas for my taste.

Buy enough land, you don't much care what the surrounding law is. I just bought 33 acres along a hillside - turns out I have a natural 50 yd flat spot that makes a great handgun range. Near Granbury, a somewhat long bit SSE of Graham (Graham does have some remarkable countryside but not enough water!). Point is, land isn't so expensive you can't buy around 10 acres or more, and have your own range. Just pick your spot!!

The general case is 10 acres is about what you need for a private handgun range. You can still get close enough to a populated area, but out of the immediate developments with of 80' lots; you have a bunch of flexibility, but the grocery stores, Home Depot, and some restaurants, are still close enough.

House is near-built. Gonna love it out there!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I had actually seen a place for sale in Granbury and while a nice area, I crossed it off the list since it was too far from Graham and too close to Dallas for my taste.

60 miles is a decent buffer, but the metrosux is definitely headed this way.

When I moved here, Granbury was a nice little burg with all the drawbacks and politics that comes with a small town.
    30 ears later and the traffic sucks and the politics hasn't changed much.

This 4th of July weekend, with the lake full once again, "they" are expecting 50-75,000 tourists/visitors.
    I think I might go to the lease in Johnson City.

Not sure kind of spread you are seeking, but there some decent 10-50 acre parcels scattered between Weatherford, Mineral Wells, Jacksboro, Springtown area.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    I was thinking the Mineral Wells, Jacksboro line was further east then I wanted to go. I ideally would be somewhere just outside Graham within the Loving, Olney (I know about the drugs), Newcastle, South Bend circle. Though I have given some thought to something further out if the price was cheap enough.

Would prefer something in the 50 acre (sub $2K an acre) range but location takes precedence since we prefer as few neighbors as possible. Ideally I could drink a beer and plink from my back porch in my underwear.

We prefer something outside city limits and definitely DON'T want to be around any town with immediate Highway access to a Big City. Don't need any possible refugees being provided with easy access to my property.

Two lane roads in/out and sub-1K population wouldn't bother us at all. It's nice that even as the County Seat Graham is about a third the pop and has smaller roads accessing it then 29 Palms. 29 Palms has become too citified for me over the last 30 years I have owned a house here.

60 miles is a decent buffer, but the metrosux is definitely headed this way.

When I moved here, Granbury was a nice little burg with all the drawbacks and politics that comes with a small town.
    30 ears later and the traffic sucks and the politics hasn't changed much.

This 4th of July weekend, with the lake full once again, "they" are expecting 50-75,000 tourists/visitors.
    I think I might go to the lease in Johnson City.

Not sure kind of spread you are seeking, but there some decent 10-50 acre parcels scattered between Weatherford, Mineral Wells, Jacksboro, Springtown area.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom