• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    I am in contact with a a couple of 2/1 comm guys (Harry Houk, Abel Griego, and Ben Rodriguez) and maybe we need to have 2/1 reunion at some point if we can gather a few more jarheads. You should be able to find me on FB (if you use it) or my email addy is itsawondertoo@yahoo.com. I would really like to see the cruise book as I was transferred to Oki before they came in and I never got mine. In Oki I was with 4/12 (Arty) for 3 months until HQMC found out that 4/12 didn't rate a 2513 and then was transferred to HQ BN Comm Co at Camp Courtney. After Oki I was transferred to 8th Comm BN in Camp Lejeune and taught at the Comm School at Stone Bay for 1.5 years. I hated Camp Lejeune so much that I used my re-enlistment duty station option to go to Gitmo. Loved it there and extended and stayed there for 2.75 years and finished out my career at MARFORLANT, ASC-24 in Norfolk. I have been blessed since I got out in '94 and currently work in IT for a Seismic Company here in Houston.
    So are all those guys in TX as well? Houston with you?

I'm not a big FB guy.

I was at Camp Lejeune earlier in my career and I didn't think it was too bad but then I was at Camp Gieger and didn't have to deal with the traffic and Mainside BS. To fill out the time before 2/1 here is the rest of my career.

Started with Boot Camp at PI in 1977, then 29 Palms for a year in 2841 school (it took that long to get through if you didn't fail anything, some guys were there for 2 years), then to 2/5 and a UDP to Oki, then cross decked to 2/9 for another Oki UDP trip and finished up in Comm Plt HqCo 5th. Re-upped and did 2 years with JSOC at Ft Bragg/Pope AFB, then went to Camp Lejeune, first with CommCo 2ndMarDiv and then 6 months later was assigned as the Comm Maint Chief for 3/8 and did a Med Float (Lebanon). After getting back from Lebanon I re-upped again for 2861 school (another year in 29) then on to 2/1 and the rest I already told you.

I recently had yet another small world incident. Last week a guy (I have known at work for years) and I were talking about our times in the Corps and comparing notes. Things started to click and we figured out he had been my first Class NCO when I went through 2841 school all those years ago. He had been a Combat Engineer in Nam on his first enlistment and had re-upped to go to 2841 school. The light went on when I remembered him telling us about climbing poles to run wire under sniper fire.
    Gun Zone Deals

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Only Rodriguez is in Houston...Houk is in PA, Griego is in Colorado (I think) and last I heard Hellyer was in Alaska. I wouldn't mind hearing from Padilla, Boone? (the Cpl from Oklahoma), and the short SGT who was a national match shooter) and sharing a beer or ten with them. Did you run into Gunny Damery or LT Bohan after you left 2/1? Shoot me an email at itsawondertoo@yahoo.com and next time I am going north, we can grab a couple of brews or maybe go shoot some guns. Until recently, I was working with an older jarhead who was with 2/1 in the 70's. He got laid off but he still coaches our softball team. His son is a jarhead stationed at MCAS Cherry Point. It is a small wonderful world...

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    2-1WestPAC1986.jpg

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Well here's an update to this old thread.

After looking around in TX (and other States) for over two years and despite my son/grandson living there, we came to the conclusion that AZ would make better financial sense for us. We closed on a property outside a small town in NE AZ called St Johns (pop 3400) in May. 2bed/2bath 1452sqft log cabin on 36 fenced acres, well and co-op electricity on a County maintained gravel road. Good Verizon cell coverage. 6400 foot elevation. Closest neighbor is almost 1000yds away. Cost was $160K.

Here is the view from my front porch.
    Nvmrc3M.jpg

View from back porch
    ISOt97P.jpg

A look inside
    71SSmud.png

Top Bottom