From under the Window Seat.

DoubleDuty

Well-Known
Feb 9, 2019
DFW
Last week I opened a drawer in an old dresser I keep in the barn with tools in it.
Know what I found?
A bunch of baby possums!
That would be hard possums live in Australia. Sorry can't help myself

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
27 threads per inch....of course!

Why wouldn't they? LOL

Ever see a screw with a "chisel point"? (can't recall what it was on....)

Lot of rifles were made here in "Penciltucky"....(like most of the "Kentucky Rifles") By good Germans....
Hey Mark,
The only chisel point screws that come to mind is some foreign military rifle butt plate screws.
Some, actually all of them Lancaster County Pennsylvania full stock long rifles are incredible works of real Americana art. I think I posted some pictures of my nice one.
Oh YES... 27 threads per inch. Ebenezer Starr of Yonkers New York, the maker of Starr revolvers during the Civil War and a couple models of carbines. Actually Starr was the third largest contractor for revolvers for the US Government right behind Colt and Remington. In order to prevent using any other manufacturer making screws to replace his parts came up with 27 TPI on every size diameter screw in his inventory all had 27 TPI. Purist collectors of Starr guns will check the screws to see if they ARE Starr screws. Standard screws used to replace Starr parts will mess up the threads on the replacement Non-Starr screw and the female threads will also be botched! I run into what would have been a nice Starr but ruined with the wrong screws! Finding a proper Starr screw is difficult but I can make them. Took me a while to plot that thread per inch in different diameter stock. Even old Ebenezer had a strange head on his screws of an odd size that would not fit the boss or was too small. Starr revolvers are actually great and ahead of their time. Either the Model 1858 Double Action or the 1863 Single Action are fun! I have an 1858 Da that has probably never been fired and I won't shoot that one in 98% original blue. The other ones I do.
Sorry for being so long winded. Hope you didn't fall asleep....
John

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
Hey John,

Thank you kindly....

Later, Mark
You are very welcome!
At times I feel that what I post on this forum is being a real bore.
Even here in the Gulag those that know me are convinced that I am full of BS. The very few that I trust enough to let them actually see this accumulation of junk I have collected are finally convinced. Around here that is a strange situation of security because loose lips sink ships. I get a bit paranoid by where I am in this S-H State of gun haters.
All I can do to share and enjoy what I do is provide pictures of what I have and the whys and wherefores of my study.
I do not wish to come off as a "braggard" or superior.
My biggest concern is that living behind enemy lines is depressing because all I have done will be gone and forgotten.
HEY... I had a blast getting here!

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
Because I bored you to death with my Ebenezer Starr lecture here are pictures of the Model 1858 Starr DA revolver from one of my drawers. It has a few handling marks but that is to be expected after 160 years. All Govt. inspectors marks are clear and sharp.
No big deal....
starr-1858 (1).jpg
starr-1858 (2).jpg
starr-1858 (3).jpg
starr-1858 (4).jpg
starr-1858 (5).jpg
starr-1858 (6).jpg
starr-1858 (7).jpg
starr-1858 (8).jpg

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
You must have some excellent luck and great timing. If I had left pistols like that inside a window seat box, when I found them again later, either the dampness of the "dungeon" or a leaking window would have allowed them to rust to utter uselessness. Nice pieces you have there; old guns are almost always interesting and fun as well and those look as if they could be lots of fun.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
Rural Illinois
You must have some excellent luck and great timing. If I had left pistols like that inside a window seat box, when I found them again later, either the dampness of the "dungeon" or a leaking window would have allowed them to rust to utter uselessness. Nice pieces you have there; old guns are almost always interesting and fun as well and those look as if they could be lots of fun.
Thanks Glenn.
That particular window seat is really tight and cedar lined. There are three two pound desiccant cylinders in there too.
The two most destructive element to guns IS moisture and Democrats! I have 27 drawers in cabinets just for handguns in that room too... what a freaking mess!
John

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts