• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    In my dungeon there are a set of double hung windows recessed into a cubby area with a seat. The seat lifts up for storage and sometimes things disappear in there and not paid much attention to. I do not look in there as often as I should, BUT there they were. I had a fascination with Early Colt Automatic Pistols by John Browning prior to the .45 Government innovation.
    Here are two of each 1902 Military Models and two of the 1903 Models all are in .38 Colt Automatic Rimless- Smokeless Calibers. The .38acp was popular until the advent of the .38 Super in 1929.
    Warning... The .38acp cartridge and the .38 Super are IDENTICAL! Many pistols chambered in .38acp were destroyed and shooters were severely injured by trying to shoot .38 Super in the older models.
    The two on top are the Military Models. The pistol with the serrations at the front of the slide is the Early Model and quite scarce,. The smaller two pistols are Model 1903 of the same .38acp caliber. The early model has the round spur hammer and different markings on the slide.
    DSC_0711-a.jpg
    DK Firearms

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    When I open seldom-used storage spaces, there's NEVER cool stuff like that in them.
    The first thing is to have memory like mine (a steel trap, all rusty and bent) put thing where you are sure you will remember where you put them....and you won't!
    When you find them again it is like King Tut's Tomb... archaeological DISCOVERY!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    The first thing is to have memory like mine (a steel trap, all rusty and bent) put thing where you are sure you will remember where you put them....and you won't!
    When you find them again it is like King Tut's Tomb... archaeological DISCOVERY!
    There is a RED FOUR FOOT LEVEL...........in this blame house.................somewhere....SAFE! as all get out!

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    @Mad John were the longer ones considered "target" models? I would have assumed the military would have wanted shorter ones.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Of course you can load .38 Super brass with the appropriate load for .38acp. .38 Super brass is readily available and I use it in my old Autos. I DO NOT own a .38 Super nor do I Want one! Why ruin a $2,000+ collectible by making a mistake?
    BUT, as it has been shown I could BE wrong....

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    @Mad John were the longer ones considered "target" models? I would have assumed the military would have wanted shorter ones.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    The "Longer" models were made before the shorter 1903 came into production. Many 1903 models were used by military officers and are marked as US Property, a scarce variation. They are both quite accurate and faster than the .38 Colt revolver in service use.
    I shoot all of them but tend to not use the one with the front serrations on the slide as often. They are just too scarce to find in really nice condition, kind of expensive too!
    BUT as has ben shown, I could be wrong....

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Now, comedy out of the way...

Do those have two links?

Friend of mine used to have an early .45... had two links, if I recall....??

Thank you kindly. (for showing all the NEAT stuff!)
    Yes, both, models have two barrel links. One at the front and one at the breech. The whole barrel toggles when fires and the slide retracts to eject. Then pivots forward and back into battery when closing and chambering the next round.
    Again, I defer to authority because I could be wrong....

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yes, both, models have two barrel links. One at the front and one at the breech. The whole barrel toggles when fires and the slide retracts to eject. Then pivots forward and back into battery when closing and chambering the next round.
    Again, I defer to authority because I could be wrong....

Hey MJ,

Thank you for your reply....

You do have/work on some really KOOL PIECES!!

Appreciate you putting up pics....

Later, Mark

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey MJ,

Later, Mark
    Mark,
    Each and every piece in my collection I bought for study and do research of the design and function. I take each one apart to see why it does what it does. That is my passion.
    I have made some serious mistakes along the way and destroyed a few guns too, not to mention getting injured...lol
    My first 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifle, I successfully blew the breach block out of the receiver by NOT knowing how to properly load the cartridges. I was only 15 and a slow learner.
    Even a couple years ago I chambered my right thumb in the breach of my 1919a4 Browning .30. I made the mistake of trusting the lock-open mechanism! I was cleaning the trunion plate and the breech closed. I invented NEW curses that time.
    was restoring a First Model Gallagher Civil War Carbine and dropped the hammer on my Left thumb as it was on the nipple. My thumb tip had a really neat hole punched through it. Looked like I got mad at it with a leather punch.
    I found on other occasions that factory manuals DO NOT tell you all you need to know... they LIE!
    Sometime I will tell you about firing the ramrod of a .58 caliber Musket through the ceiling of my shop into my living room. I learned how NOT to unload a musket that had been loaded for over a century.... safely! There is a method to learning!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey John,

Can tell you for fact....

A .50 caliber ramrod? Will bury itself in the backstop (so as to be irretrievably lost) at the 200 yard line...

Just sayin'.......

Never had M 1 Thumb! (even though two sons & I went through 5 barrels on two rifles, shooting the reduced 200 yd course every month)

Just recently (Tuesday?) spent about 30 minutes looking for a S&W trigger return spring that rolled off the bench. FOUND IT!

Dang RED 4' level? Been lost fer 10yrs or more....FIRE ENGINE RED. FOUR FOOT LEVEL! LOL

Some 4 screw S&W's? They have right hand threads on the ejector rod. Some have LH threads....keeps a man honest...

You Sir! Have some really KOOL STUFF! (and the scars to prove it) Won't tell you about practicing for a Match. Still cold (say March?)
    My Bride was still living... I got home...she asked what in the world was all that blame BLOOD?

I had caught the nail of my trigger fanger on the trigger guard, and ripped the nail clean off (and I keep my nails short)....Bled like a stuck pig for a bit....Took a couple years fer it to grow back (I ripped it off twice more...putting gloves on/off at work)

Later, Mark

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    In my dungeon there are a set of double hung windows recessed into a cubby area with a seat. The seat lifts up for storage and sometimes things disappear in there and not paid much attention to. I do not look in there as often as I should, BUT there they were. I had a fascination with Early Colt Automatic Pistols by John Browning prior to the .45 Government innovation.
    Here are two of each 1902 Military Models and two of the 1903 Models all are in .38 Colt Automatic Rimless- Smokeless Calibers. The .38acp was popular until the advent of the .38 Super in 1929.
    Warning... The .38acp cartridge and the .38 Super are IDENTICAL! Many pistols chambered in .38acp were destroyed and shooters were severely injured by trying to shoot .38 Super in the older models.
    The two on top are the Military Models. The pistol with the serrations at the front of the slide is the Early Model and quite scarce,. The smaller two pistols are Model 1903 of the same .38acp caliber. The early model has the round spur hammer and different markings on the slide.
    View attachment 261057

Have you ever thought of having Ian McCollum in your house and just doing videos of your stuff for the next 5 years?

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey John,

Can tell you for fact....

A .50 caliber ramrod? Will bury itself in the backstop (so as to be irretrievably lost) at the 200 yard line...

Just sayin'.......

Never had M 1 Thumb! (even though two sons & I went through 5 barrels on two rifles, shooting the reduced 200 yd course every month)

Just recently (Tuesday?) spent about 30 minutes looking for a S&W trigger return spring that rolled off the bench. FOUND IT!

Dang RED 4' level? Been lost fer 10yrs or more....FIRE ENGINE RED. FOUR FOOT LEVEL! LOL

Some 4 screw S&W's? They have right hand threads on the ejector rod. Some have LH threads....keeps a man honest...

You Sir! Have some really KOOL STUFF! (and the scars to prove it) Won't tell you about practicing for a Match. Still cold (say March?)
    My Bride was still living... I got home...she asked what in the world was all that blame BLOOD?

I had caught the nail of my trigger fanger on the trigger guard, and ripped the nail clean off (and I keep my nails short)....Bled like a stuck pig for a bit....Took a couple years fer it to grow back (I ripped it off twice more...putting gloves on/off at work)

Later, Mark
    Mark,
    There are some strange threads on many different guns for various reasons. Even the venerable Colt has left hand threads where you not expect.
    I have been to reenactments with Civil war groups at Grant's home in Galena, Illinois as a consultant and shooter. I have watched several "soldiers" in rapid fire displays, get in a hurry and fire an occasional ram-rod down range and end up with a red face. On one occasion a guy blew the breech out of his musket with an improper load. He didn't get hurt too bad but his original Springfield was destroyed and had the most spectacular "walnut" (bulge) in the middle of the barrel.
    My right thumb, the one that found it's way in to the Browning machine gun was a bloody mess. After i was finished running around my back yard with a roll of paper towels cursing. I started washing it out with cold water and soap. NOT pleasant! While I was watching my life blood going down the drain I noticed pieces of fingernail protruding out of the wound and I painfully plucked them out then poured some "Sea Breeze" antiseptic and Listerine over it. My wife cam in cursing about the squirrels gathering up the bloody paper towels for nests.
    She then noticed my hand wrapped in a once white towel. "WHAT DID YOU DO NOW?" she was concerned? "I mashed my thumb ant it's bleeding!" she asked , when did you do this? About three hours ago.... off to the emergency room. While waiting for the "Alamo" survivors to get their turn, the towel had become saturated and was dripping on their floor. Finally got in to see a Dr. He applied a pressure band to slow the blood.
    I explained what I did to my digit and it was off to x-rays. When he came in he asked me about the pieces of finger nail I pulled out. Then he told me and the wife that those were NOT fingernail but bone from the end of my thumb! No wonder that did hurt a bit. I had compound fractured my thumb between the joint and the tip. Required an appointment for a hand surgeon to rebuild the nail bed and a nerve block to damaged nerves.
    A couple days later as I cautiously approached the "beast" that bit me, I retracted the bolt mechanism and there it was... the rest of my thumb nail. When I f*** up I do NOT mess around. I could write a book of short stories of things NOT to do with guns. I have never shot myself, the Vietnamese did that for me.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey MJ,

Later, Mark
    I do not know what anyone would like to see next. If I have one or so I will gladly show them. I see and fondle them all the time. I have to be careful because drool makes rust!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    27 threads per inch....of course!

Why wouldn't they? LOL

Ever see a screw with a "chisel point"? (can't recall what it was on....)

Lot of rifles were made here in "Penciltucky"....(like most of the "Kentucky Rifles") By good Germans....

Top Bottom