8225551079_bd7b8253bf_z.jpg

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    what's the old saying....."there ya go, thinkin' again"

(gotta be some muzzle loaders here, somewhere - I used to shoot an 1862 .52 caliber Tower Lock but my Son has had it for the past 25 years, or so)

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I have noticed a lot of ranges don't allow black powder at all. Even outdoor ranges. Indoor I understand. Due to not being able to find a place to shoot, I haven't lit off a black powder round in years.

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    I have a place in Woodville and I am going to start shooting there.The trouble with shooting at a regular range is when you start shooting everybody and his brother come p and start asking questions about it.By the time you get ready for the next shot the range is closed.I use to shoot with the San Jacinto muzzleloaders.That was fun and good competition. :usflag:

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Not aware of any public access ranges that are muzzleloader friendly but..

Greenwood Gun Club outside Brazoria IS front-stuffer friendly and hold a BP match just about every month (1st Sat, so next one is Dec 7th)

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    Thanks detritus.Have you shot there recently?The phone # for the club is not workingA lot of the info on the club is 4-5 years old.Any info.thanks:machine:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Can't help the Houston area much, but Shiney Top Ranch in salado lets you shoot black powder. As far as I know, most of the outdood ranges in central Texas do. I shoot my .44 there

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Thanks detritus.Have you shot there recently?The phone # for the club is not workingA lot of the info on the club is 4-5 years old.Any info.thanks:machine:

Yeah the website is quite outdated, sent you a PM with the black powder Dir.'s contact info.

No I haven't shot recently, currently do not own an appropriate firearm. My plans to get into Muzzle-loading got sidelined about 18 months ago when both my wife and I were forced into job changes/loss almost back to back.

Overall I think that greenwood is a great club esp for the yearly cost. But there are a lot of places where I feel there is noticable room for improvement, presence on the web/ social media among them. the rest of the issues I have aren't really things that need airing at this time a place. just things I wish were a bit different (like more [any] support for rifle disciplines other than NRA High Power)

ETA:
    Oh and as I understand it the Ph# listed for the club even when it was still connected, hadn't been answered by anyone since the 90's! It was really only there for insurance purposes (ie to allow 911 calls if needed), and according to rumor the ringer was only turned on because some of the wives complained about not being able to reach their husbands (no idea if that's true :rolleyes: )

When I first joined (2003) the phone was inside an old dilapidated, wasp infested, classroom style trailer behind the restrooms. when they FINALLY De-wasped and demolished the trailer (around 05 or 06) the phone was moved to a box secured to the side of a tree in FRONT of the men's room. then a few years later the existing phone died and wasn't replaced since the ubiquity of Cell phones had made its original purpose obsolete.

Last edited:

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    Thanks.I talked to Ken and he said I could come out and shoot with them on the first Saturday of the month.He said he would set me up off to the side and I could shoot the same time frame that they shoot.He said that there are several people that shoot with them that are not members.I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes,I will post the results.Thanksagain:flag:

Top Bottom