• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I planted a couple of low-chilling apple trees that were developed in Israel back in the 1980's. It was a variety called "Anna". I got fruit and they were great for pies. They way they manipulate varieties now, those may be gone and replaced by 100 others. As for the trees I planted, I sold the house and when I went back to visit someone in the neighborhood 3 years late, they were gone. The guy who bought the house cut all the trees down to make "dog runs" for the guard dogs he was raising. I'm pretty happy I didn't see him.

There's a huge blueberry farm near Conroe. Blueberries do fantastic in this area, and they don't require pesticides. They grow about 10 feet high and there are at least a dozen varieties. I've often thought that if I had some acreage, I'd like to have some blueberries on it. I'd also like to carry around gold coins to give as tips and vacation in Tahiti. Unfortunately, the lottery people keep picking the wrong numbers.

I have eaten persimmons. Wild ones when I was young. When they are COMPLETELY ripe - meaning about 10 seconds before they turn to mush - they are very sweet. Before that, they are astringent, meaning that one bite and your mouth will dry up to a point where you can't talk. Deer love them, so they would be good on hunting property. Someone told me that there are commercial varieties that are larger and better, but I can't confirm or deny that.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I'm thinking I would like to get some fruit trees for the new place. What to get? Never ate a Persimmon but I know they grow. I think Mayhaw would be good on my property. Pomagranate should work being related to Crape Myrtles.
    What variety of apple & peach do I want? I think a blueberry bush & pear tree might be in order too.
    There's a LOT of varieties out there, as others have mentioned. They can help you with soils, etc., all the stuff you need to know to be successful in your fruit tree endeavor.
    Apparently you can’t bring citrus across state lines? Didn’t make sense to me but that’s what they said. I mean, this is state to state, not from a foreign country.
    Texas - like Florida and a few others - gets substantial income from citrus production, and there are too many parasites that can travel, so 'importing' citrus (and certain other crop trees) is prohibited.
    Best bet would be to get with your local Ag Extension Agent and find out which varieties are best for your climate.
    This!
    I'd recommend contacting your county agent and see what they suggest.

+1

Eli

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I have a pretty brown thumb, but I've managed to keep a Meyer lemon tree alive for over a year so far. Bought one of those potted ones from Home Depot because the kids wanted to mark the occasion of moving to the new house. We planted it in November 2020 and it's been doing well. I'm really hoping for some flowers this spring, but we'll see. I think I might plant a Mexican lime tree on the opposite corner of the back yard.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There are several species of persimmons, and some are native to East Texas. We have quite a few that are native and grow all over our place here in Anderson county.

Commercially and in general, there are two types of persimmon fruit: astringent and non-astringent.

Many animals love fresh fruit, and will destroy young and smaller trees if not protected in some way. Fencing is probably the best method. you can fence an entire area, or use individual fencing around each tree. Also need some sort of watering system. The first two years are what make or break growing fruit and nut trees in a new orchard.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Fruit tree.

1420976147-120_rainbow-tree-app.jpg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There are several species of persimmons, and some are native to East Texas. We have quite a few that are native and grow all over our place here in Anderson county.

Commercially and in general, there are two types of persimmon fruit: astringent and non-astringent.

Many animals love fresh fruit, and will destroy young and smaller trees if not protected in some way. Fencing is probably the best method. you can fence an entire area, or use individual fencing around each tree. Also need some sort of watering system. The first two years are what make or break growing fruit and nut trees in a new orchard.
    There was a persimmon tree next to use in Houston. It always had fruit every year. A couple of pomelo trees that always bareee fruit. The pomelo you would want a trebechete to launch all the fruit they dropped.

Top Bottom