Join TexasGunTalk

Frustration with some people

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by pawncop, Sep 26, 2013.

1. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I was at the P D today, seeing how I would do as far as stamina since I had pneumonia diagnosed last Sunday. (one nice aspect of being a reserve officer, I set my own hours).

So I get a call from a citizen telling me he has found his air compressor in one of the local pawn shops.

I start looking into the case. Back in June he reports a blue air compressor stolen. No brand, no model, no serial number, no psi, no nothing.

Now the facts seem to indicate he MAY be right. But the courts do not accept it MAY be his.

I have encouraged him to locate any documentation that will assist him in proper indentification regarding his property.

But it is so frustrating to have someone get upset because they perceive I will not take action because they KNOW the item is theirs.

Knowing is not proving.

Record your serial numbers and/or have complete description and engrave your drivers license on this items without serial numbers.

Your local pawn shop detective will thank you.

2. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    You got to be able to prove that it is yours

3. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Yep, I have worked several cases where folks swear it is their property and when investigation is completed it ain't theirs. I had one lady so mad at me because she was certain a ring set was hers. Turned out the rings had been pawned two (2) years before she made her report.

4. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    most of my tools are engraved .

5. jordanmills

jordanmills Well-Known

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    For real. How do people not keep serial numbers?

6. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Happens all the time. When I was on patrol and would go to a theft or burglary report, many many times I would hear "They took my TV!!!" When asked to describe it I would get - "It was black". Nothing else. You would be amazed the poor descriptions I got then and we still get now. Part of my responsibilities now is to review and document property reported in burglary, robbery, and theft reports. Fully 30% of the items reported do not have even the brand. Maybe 3-5% if that much will I get a decent description. Around 1% will have a serial number.

7. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Hmmm, I have my gun serials recorded but I never even thought about doing that with my tv. I'm going to go take pictures now. Curious though how you would go about recovering something like a stolen custom built pc? There's no serial or anything I can think of recording....guess this is where engraving comes in handy. Would it work if I just scratch my dl# in an inconspicuous place on the case?

8. PhulesAu

PhulesAu TGT Addict

Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    does the HD or other part have a serial number? gotta be some factory number on stuff , just for warranty if nothing else.

9. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Many items do not have true serial numbers. Black and Decker tools are a great example. There is a number but it is a manufacture date code and not unique (learned the hard way on that one). A great habit to get into - for any major purchase take a photo of the serial number of the item and a photo of the item itself. Use your phone if you want to.

Then engrave your state drivers license or ID number. Social security numbers are not helpful. That is a federal database that state agencies will not have access to. Initials are not helpful. I have a camera in evidence now with ATI initials on it but no idea of the owner. BTW it has 297 photos of a construction site. I went through all 297 images trying to get a clue as to ownership. Any help from out there would be appreciated.

I appreciate the interest and responses.

I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. jordanmills

jordanmills Well-Known

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Most of the internals will have serial numbers. The hard drive and CPU will for sure. You might need software to read them, but they're there.