• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abntxn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Hey ya'll, any MP's or Chemical guys on here that went to Basic/AIT or served at good ol Ft McClellan before it closed? Looking for information about disability claims for having been there. Hear a lot about it every few years, but getting ready to retire and don't know how much I need to worry about getting it documented other than on my DD 214. Thanks much.
    Venture Surplus ad

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I went through basic there in 1984 - I remember reading something about it, but can't seem to remember.

Remember this, though: Make a copy of your medical records - mine were "lost" when I retired, and I've been arguing with the VA, who are saying "Well, there's nothing in your records."

abntxn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks much. I just ordered a copy of mine so hopefully it will work out. I have some stuff, but pretty much nothing after 2004 -sigh- To be young and invincible again, lol. What was your MOS?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Hey ya'll, any MP's or Chemical guys on here that went to Basic/AIT or served at good ol Ft McClellan before it closed? Looking for information about disability claims for having been there. Hear a lot about it every few years, but getting ready to retire and don't know how much I need to worry about getting it documented other than on my DD 214. Thanks much.

If you are still on active duty and getting ready to retire, there is nothing you will have to do other than clear your accounts, and get a retirement physical.

The retirement physical includes a VA disability evaluation. Make sure the Doctor does that! Before you get your physical, the clinic should give you a VA form on which to annotate all the service-related injuries or illnesses
    you suffered while on active duty.

The Doctor will look at your claims form, then review your medical records. If anything you listed is substantiated in your medical records, the Doc will list that on the VA disability claim.

Here is where lots of folks "game" the system:

They tell the Doc that they suffer from sleep apnea, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, got flat feet, a stiff neck, and any other real or imagined service-connected ailments.

Finally, if the Doctor finds health problems you did not claim (high blood pressure, cardiac anomalies, diabetes,etc.), he will record those on the form.

Once the physical is done, your physical and entire medical file will be sent to a Regional VA for disability evaluation.

Then, you will get a call from your nearest VA hospital. They will tell you to schedule (many appointments) to confirm your disability claims.

They will then stick a tube up your ass and pump you full of barium enema. Then, they will make you walk a tread mill with an oxygen mask, etc, etc.

Once that is done, you will get a final determination about six or more months later.

The best part is that if you qualify as a "Disabled Veteran" you can fish and hunt in Texas with a DV License at no cost.

And, Disabled Veteran License Plates for the first vehicle are only $3.00 per year.

Think about it.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I cannot help you with your question but I was drawn to this discussion because I grew up in Anniston Alabama, my first job out of high school was at the base PX in 1970 during the Vietnam War before I was drafted and enlisted in the Navy. I worked for the electrical contractors that wired the barracks and rifle ranges in 1976 before I reenlisted for another tour...Ft. McClellan all belongs mostly to the City of Anniston and is fast becoming commercialized except for a small part that the ANG controls.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom