• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmclain3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Spring, TX
    So, I should be getting my Texas CHL soon and I'm wondering which holster I should get to carry my Colt GM XSE. Although I might get a commander to compliment my full size government model I would like one holster that I can use for both when I decide to carry.

I was looking at either a Galco Quick Slide or perhaps some other SOB type holster (I have a Yaqui slide holsters but it's really for the range and doesn't do much to protect the weapon from dings and scratches). The key is to get a holster that would fit the Government Model Colt and be easy to conceal. Since my gun is blued, having a holster that doesn't cause much wear is a consideration as well. I'm not sure that an IWB is for me since I hate tight fitting pants (which mine seem to be most of teh time anyway).

The other concern is concealing in hot weather. Face it, it's hot here in Texas most of the time. How do you conceal in shorts and a t-shirt? Is an SOB holster right for that?

Your thoughts please!
    ARJ Defense ad

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    If the 2 barrel lengths you guys have are commander & full size, I suggest you buy a holster for the commander & the 5" gun will stick out only a little.
    Most holster makers build their "slides" to fit the short barrel & the long ones stick way out.
    I have a picture of my Tucker that I bought for a Commander length gun. For a long time I used it for my 4" Kimber & my 5" SA. The K did not reach the end & the Springer stuck out about 3/4".
    I have since bought another Tucker for the K so the SA is the only one I carry in old holster now.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Full-size and commander-size 1911's are all that I carry. In my experience, the best and most comfortable holsters are in fact IWB. If you're going to eliminate these then your choices are going to be a lot more limited in my opinion. An IWB holster will be concealed with only an untucked t-shirt over it no matter what you're wearing. I can carry my (aluminum alloy) S&W 1911SC in running shorts that tie with my IWB holster.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Quote: "If the 2 barrel lengths you guys have are commander & full size, I suggest you buy a holster for the commander & the 5" gun will stick out only a little."

Rex,
    With respect to Longtooth, I will have to agree to disagree on this point. First, I personally do NOT like my pistol barrels (and front sights) to protrude below holster opening. Second, many holsters are cupped at bottom (Sparks and Alessi holsters for instance) and a longer barrel can NOT pass thru this semi-closed mouth. With their holsters, you would need to order a holster for the 5" 1911 and let the 4.25" barrel gun sit in the slightly overlong holster. I use IWB holsters for concealed carry and frequently wear a light cloth vest to cover the weapons. Another option is to wear your shirt out whenever possible. This will cover a good IWB holstered weapon but may show a bulge with OWB rigs. See my e-mail reply for specifics on IWB holsters and belt used.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If you absolutly can't/don't want to, have an appropriate holster for each gun, I agree with LHB1 in using one for a 5". However, the tip may collapse some with you're carrying the 4"-4.25".

I'd recommend a good custom IWB for each. It'll retain better and be more comfortable.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    For years I thought that the Galco SOB was the way to go. i used them with a Sig 226 & a Glock 27. I find that they really suck after sitting, especially while driving. When i ordered my Les Baer SRP I wanted that to be my carry gun. After a bit of looking I settled on a Tucker Answer. I only wish I would of found these much earlier.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    An SOB holster looks like one of those items "made for Hollywood phony movies" where poor/dangerous/unrealistic techniques, equipment, and styles are used for dramatic effect. Looks like it would be uncomfortable to wear sitting down, print easily if you bend forward even slightly, and be dangerous in use because the gun would sweep such a wide arc in drawing and firing. Heaven help you if you ever fell backward against a hard surface wearing pistol in an SOB holster. Did I say that I don't like that style holster? :D

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    what i carry

I have been using a Don Humme IWB holster for a couple years now. One holster works for my STI Ranger and Ranger II or any odd 45 govt model I happen to have around. I don't bother with the snap model and at less than 40 bucks for a holster it's a deal.

I lke the leather to cover the front site as previously mentioned but have never had issue when practicing with a shorter length holster when i have a full size slide.

For a simple and easy to use daily holster i know they make better but the IWB Don Humme is what i choose. We don't sell this holster so my comment should not appear biased.

Chris

Moe Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    The Milt Sparks is a very good choice I have had one or two. However for 1911 IWB my personal preference in the BlackHawk leather IWB holster. It is thin, very comfortable, has a sweat shield, and very slim. I have had dozens of holsters for 1911s over the last few years, from cheap non molded models to full blown customs and the BlackHawk has always been my favorite. I have one on order right now,, everyone seem to be out of them.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Get a good belt or you'll either be wearing that 1911 around your knees or constantly pulling it up. Depending on whether you carry IWB or OWB don't scrimp on the holster. I prefer OWB and an FBI cant because it's faster to access and the angled holster is easier to conceal.
    DeSantis and Galco make some very good 1911 holsters, or you can go with some of the very fine leather crafters.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Using a holster made for one length with a longer or shorter gun is like driving a ferrari on re-treads. Just my opinion.

Well, having a holster that is long serves to wear out the holster faster. Good holsters will stay formed for a while, but it is leather, it will eventually collapse. A good holster for each length of gun is good to have. Of course, it isn't cheap and that box in the closet of holsters will be full to the brim :o

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Brommeland Max Con VII. It's an IWB, but it's one of the most comfortable holsters in my box o' holsters. If you want to carry a 5" 1911 that can easily be accomplished as barrel length really does not matter with an IWB holster. If you are limited to an OWB, you are going to have to dress around it. Longer shirts or a cover jacket. It's possible to conceal a Full Size gun OWB but it takes work.

I wouldn't limit myself to OWB, and you don't need tight pants to wear IWB, you just need your pants to be a size or two larger than you would normaly wear. Some people aren't willing to make that compromise, but for a 5" barrel, it's by far the easiest.

For OWB, Milt Sparks 1911 or the Brommeland Def-Con, but your probably going to have to make some compromises in the cover garment area. I fear a regular T-shirt will make you very self conscious about printing and raising your arms.

Good luck.

You can find the Brommeland products here with no wait time...they are a pleasure to deal with.
    http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/holsters_brommeland.html

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    +1 on the Brommeland Max Con V. I have the older Presentation Grade but wouldn't hesitate getting the Service Grade (only thing he's making now) for distribution through Coal Creek.

FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    I concur with either Milt Sparks Sumer special 2 or the Versa Max 2.
    I carry daily either full size XSE or a P7M8 everyday in a Versa Max 2. They are the best simply put. Buy bigger pants if you have to because IWB is the best way to go.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Another vote for the Versa Max II over here. I have one for a 5" Government, but carry a Commander in it everyday. I just like to keep my options open.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I concur with either Milt Sparks Sumer special 2 or the Versa Max 2.
    I carry daily either full size XSE or a P7M8 everyday in a Versa Max 2. They are the best simply put. Buy bigger pants if you have to because IWB is the best way to go.

I know this is an old thread, but it got brought back up. :D

That's why I like the Max Con V over the VMII or SSII either one. Actually, it's the difference in a reinforced mouth or not. The VMII bulged more and would require larger pants to carry comfortably, but still will be bulky looking. The MCV simply melts into my hip. I got lucky and just scored a belt made by Gary also, and now even with a belt, it melts right into my hip hardly noticable.

I also have an Alessi Dual Talon that's not quite as slender but still is less bulky, but it's not broken in yet. The MCV is simply the best IWB I can imagine, even sitting in the truck driving on long trips.

Top Bottom