funniest/scariest thing you have seen at the range

rubberdown

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 13, 2009
I was at Shiloh the other day on my lunch break and there was a mother and daughter there at the range. I was paying to go shoot and the mother walked out and said somethings wrong, the clip wont go in the gun. Freakin bullets were somehow in the clip facing backwards! It took the lady working there like 5 minutes to clear the rounds out and then explain the direction they are supposed to face. I laughed/cried/was greatful she didnt shoot herself or her kid.

cajuntec

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 13, 2009
San Antonio TX
Funniest -
1) Seeing three guys with a 9mm pistol all taking turns shooting at a target. They all shot the same - turned the gun sideways so that the sights were facing left. Then they would "throw" the bullets to the target. Every time they pulled the trigger, they would go from bent elbow to straight arm, and then back to the bent elbow. Kind of like the extra "thrust" of them moving their arm was getting the bullets to exit the gun. I laughed my butt off. After about 3 or 4 magazines, they had managed to hit the target about a half dozen times - none of the "hits" were anywhere near the center though. I was next to them popping off rounds with my .22 single six revolver, which they were making all kinds of comments about (making fun of it - "old school gun", "ancient gun", "toy gun", "little bitty bullets", etc...) But my target had a nice big hole dead center that was punched out by plenty of rounds. I made sure I held it up for them when I brought it in.

Not so funny at first - funny afterwards -
I'm at a public range during the middle of the week (Chickahominy gun range in VA). There is no supervisor there. It's the shooters responsibility to coordinate setting up targets with the other shooters, going cold / hot range, etc... Well, since it was Wednesday, I had the range to myself. I'm out there sighting in a new black powder rifle, but I had my .270 and a couple of .22's with me, as I was planning a "range day" and planned to just shoot everything I had for practice. An older gentleman pulls up in a truck and gets out. He walks up to me as I am cleaning my black powder rifle and asks if I mind if he sets up a target. He then begins to explain to me how he had picked up a good deal on a cancelled Cabelas hunt. He said that since someone else cancelled, he slid into the spot at a very reduced rate. Problem was - he had not shot his gun in years. I watch him walk out and set up his target. It took him FOREVER to get there and back. I'm thinking "poor guy... I should just go set up his target for him". Then I started thinking "Well, he is going on a big game hunt... maybe it's best if he does it himself". Anyway, he gets back and pulls out a very nice looking .30-06. He gets set up right as I'm about ready to start shooting again, so I figured I'd be courteous and let him get his first shot off before I start shooting again. He pulls the trigger and it dang near knocks him off the bench! After he rubs his shoulder for a couple of seconds, he exclaims "I probably shouldn't be shooting so soon after my open heart surgury" :eek: What????!!! So I ask how long ago he had surgury and he tells me "Two weeks ago". After two more excruciatingly painful shots from his .30-06, he is scanning the target with the scope to see where he is hitting. I look through my spotting scope at his target and see no holes at all, and tell him so. After a few more rounds, he asks to go cold range so that he can retrieve his target and see how he has done. I know how he has done because I have been looking through my spotting scope. He retrieves his target (again - took forever to get there and back), and when he returns with what looks like a brand new target in hand, he finally admits defeat and starts to rethink (out loud) whether he should have bought that Cabelas hunt. He leaves. I'm thinking "Thank God. I didn't want to see him split his chest open with that rifle recoil". I start shooting again, only to have him drive up in a panic again. "THEY LOCKED US IN!!" he is yelling. Huh? Nobody came down to tell us the range was closing, and I didn't see anyone else. So I start packing up my stuff to go look. He is nervously rambling about his heart and not being able to stay locked up in this range, etc.... Now I'm concerned that this old guy is going to have a heart attack out here and it will be up to me to save him. I subconciously started going over my CPR stuff in my head - compressions to breath ratio's, etc.... I have to ask him politely a few times not to touch my stuff, as he is trying to help me load everything up, and he is borderline banging my weapons up trying to help me get everything back in the cases and into the truck. I drive to the gate access and am greeted by a bar across the road. I get out to investigate and discover it's an automatic gate bar - It closes automatically at a pre-determined time. Upon further investigation, I find a button to press to open the gate from the backside (inside the range area). I press it and see the nervousness from the old mans face disappear as the gate opens. I wasn't really ready to leave, but I had had enough for the day, and since I was packed, I went home.

Dangerous - went into Bullethole Range in San Antonio to check it out for the first time. While I was there, this fellow walks in and says he is there for the concealed carry class. She takes his money and has him fill out paperwork, and then asks if he has a weapon and enough ammo to qualify. He asks how many rounds he needs and she replies "50". When he says he doesn't have enough, she tells him that she has range ammo available, and asks him what caliber pistol he has. His reply was "I dont' know... I'll go get it". So then he comes back in with the pistol in hand. It's a Glock .40 subbie. He has a magazine in the pistol, and his finger is resting inside the trigger guard as he walks in. I'm at the corner of the counter, unarmed, and cornered. :1zhelp: . I tell him that you are supposed to have the magazine out with the slide locked back when you come in - or cased. He gives me a "F off" look, drops the magazine (loaded), and puts the pistol on the counter with the slide still forward - pointing towards the woman as she walks out. When she comes back out, she immediatly turns the pistol so it's not facing her and tells him the slide has to be locked back. His reply? "It's not loaded" :banghead: So she grabs the gun, locks the slide back and puts it back on the counter for him. I spoke to her a few weeks later about that incident. She just shrugged it off and said it happens all the time. My big things on this one - he's at a concealed carry class and he has no idea what kind of gun he even owns, or what the caliber is. Even if he borrowed the gun, he should have asked about those types of things, or been familiar with them. Then there is the carrying a gun with a fully loaded magazine inserted, into a gun range with his finger in the trigger guard. I wish people like that didn't even get their permit. I'm scared he is going to hurt an innocent bystander one day.

OK... I'm done.

All the best,
Glenn

DirtyD

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
I was at Shiloh the other day on my lunch break and there was a mother and daughter there at the range. I was paying to go shoot and the mother walked out and said somethings wrong, the clip wont go in the gun. Freakin bullets were somehow in the clip facing backwards! It took the lady working there like 5 minutes to clear the rounds out and then explain the direction they are supposed to face. I laughed/cried/was greatful she didnt shoot herself or her kid.
I had a female Marine do that on a KD Qual range, she somehow got 10 rounds loaded backwards.... had another trying to speed load from a stripper clip without the speedloader... had one load fired brass...had one slam a magazine in backwards, still trying to figure out how she had enough strength to do that....( not all these involved female shooters, but the majority did)

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 25, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I once saw two men at a local range trying to load a S&W .357, the problem was their .38 S&W rounds were a little tight going into the chambers. They knew better then me what round to use, so after I tried to tell them and was informed that .357s shoot .38 and this was a S&W so it shoots .38S&W I just watched two fools with a gun they didn't understand. They mostly just used the loosest chambers and a lot of thumb pressure.
Another time I saw a open cartridge box break apart when a hot spent casing landed on top of the primer of a live round in the Styrofoam tray. Without a chamber to contain the pressure the case just splits and doesn't do much harm.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 25, 2008
I posted this story in a similar thread about a month ago:

Was spotting for my daughter while she was practicing some offhand rifle at a range we normally avoid. Some goof walks up behind her and stands between her and the guy on the lane next to her and raises some bigass revolver up taking aim at we're not sure which target. Problem is he's holding the pistol less than 3 feet behind her head while standing between shooters on two adjacent lanes. (It was pointed downrange and not at her.)

Daughter didn't see him as he was behind her while she's in position ready to fire. I look at him, over her shoulder, and yell, "Stop! What the hell do you think you're doing?" Daughter thought I was yelling at her and she had her mag dropped, rifle cleared and safed and on the bench with an empty chamber indicator inserted in about two seconds flat. It was really beautiful to watch how quickly she went from ready to fire to hands off a cleared weapon.

The goof looks at me and in his very best Forrest Gump imitation slowly says, "Well I wuz just shootin at mah target." I told him that indeed he wasn't shooting at anything. The RO was nearby and threw the guy off the range.

I joined a private shooting range shortly after.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 29, 2008
DFW.com
Seen dozens of morons that seem to think that finger-to-trigger contact at all times is an essential key to handling a gun. These folks tend to have a lot of downrange ND's and unwitting double-taps. I've yet to have one shoot in a totally unsafe direction.

I've had yokels sweep me with their loaded rifles with finger on trigger and ready to go seconds before they started shooting.

I remember one jack-off that kept pseudo slam-firing his rented AR-15 because he kept his finger on the trigger when he pulled the charging handle. Claimed to have been in the IDF when he lived in Israel. I thought it was funny how he kept sneering down at me because I was firing my AK while making an ass of himself.

One day at an outdoor pistol range, some genius walked to his target while everyone else was still firing. Amazingly, the RO didn't throw him out.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 29, 2008
DFW.com

She must have seen the H&K Brochure...

hk.jpg

cajuntec

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 13, 2009
San Antonio TX

No way!!! Please tell me that H&K Brochure was photoshopped or something! That's funny as hell!

All the best,
Glenn

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud