ft worth tx
    D0C481B6-F6D2-4951-A8F0-6DDD90DE0EB7.jpeg
    Military Camp

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I guess not. Unless you burn it to a cheap CD, or save it to a thumb drive, SD card, or one of the other data storage devices available.

CD isn’t much different that digits ownership, other than they provide the storage device and it tend to be far less durable than other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Less durable than other options?

Not in my experience.

I have had thumb drives to bad. Hard drives go bad. I have never had a CD go bad, and I have them dating back to when they first came out.

Reactions: gll

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    You realize you can buy music without buying the CD, right?

My concern about buying the audio files is what happens when they try to treat the audio files the same way Amazon treats the book files. People that had their books on the Amazon accounts have been accused of violating their terms of use and lost all of their book files.

As far as CD versus vinyl, vinyl was great until I thought about having to move over 200 albums from place to place in the Army. And the differences in the quality between vinyl and CDs are lost on me as between qualification ranges, hundreds of hours sitting at a pos, and multiple impact printers, has done a number on my hearing.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I guess we all love the things we went big in... except for 8-tracks and cassettes..., lol! I never went big into albums, never at all into 8-track, went big into cassettes, but most were recorded from other peoples albums and 8-tracks, then in the early 90's, I went into CD's and 100, then 200 disk, Sony players, until the digital revolution got me ripping... I like knowing the CD's are there for backup, but I know they do deteriorate with age, so, I have a couple backups for digital.

All my listening is digital, but 98% is ripped from CD's.

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    I guess we all love the things we went big in... except for 8-tracks and cassettes..., lol! I never went big into albums, never at all into 8-track, went big into cassettes, but most were recorded from other peoples albums and 8-tracks, then in the early 90's, I went into CD's and 100, then 200 disk, Sony players, until the digital revolution got me ripping... I like knowing the CD's are there for backup, but I know they do deteriorate with age, so, I have a couple backups for digital.

All my listening is digital, but 98% is ripped from CD's.
    In theory everything deteriorates with age, how you measure that time is the question. Electrons in a ‘holding cell’ leak. Magnetic domains slowly flip. Worse yet, technology changes and finding a way to transfer one form of information into a new form can be a problem. I’ve got some Sony beta tapes I’d release. Great titles too, e.g. ‘I like to watch’ and other goodies.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Less durable than other options?

Not in my experience.

I have had thumb drives to bad. Hard drives go bad. I have never had a CD go bad, and I have them dating back to when they first came out.

It really depends on the thumb drive. Simple basic drives are extremely durable. I had one that was nothing but the black chip left and a rectangle chunk of metal to hold it in the slot. The ones with little circuit boards, light, etc are often crap. It may fail, but the data it holds is usually still retrievable. And the part that states the data remains pretty unaffected by most environmental effects.

SD cards are fairly similar. So long as the data doesn’t get corrected by a bad save process or something they will last for a century or more.

Anything can be broken if abused enough, but I used to have a ton of scratched CDs. And I’ve had hardly any “good” thumb drives or SD cards fail

For hard drives, avoid the spinny kind and understand how the solid states work. A solid state used only for storage without a lot of data shuffling should last longer than any of us remain on this earth. But I don’t tend to think of hard drives or solid states as a way of holding on to data forever. Computers fail for various reasons, many of them could take the data with them.

Top Bottom