Living on Airplanes
    __9094ea9e31419e5c479f5ee21f86bbb7_width-600.jpeg
    Guns International

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It really depends on the thumb drive. Simple basic drives are extremely durable. I had one that was nothing but the black chip left and a rectangle chunk of metal to hold it in the slot. The ones with little circuit boards, light, etc are often crap. It may fail, but the data it holds is usually still retrievable. And the part that states the data remains pretty unaffected by most environmental effects.

SD cards are fairly similar. So long as the data doesn’t get corrected by a bad save process or something they will last for a century or more.

Anything can be broken if abused enough, but I used to have a ton of scratched CDs. And I’ve had hardly any “good” thumb drives or SD cards fail

For hard drives, avoid the spinny kind and understand how the solid states work. A solid state used only for storage without a lot of data shuffling should last longer than any of us remain on this earth. But I don’t tend to think of hard drives or solid states as a way of holding on to data forever. Computers fail for various reasons, many of them could take the data with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I plug the thumb drive and the computer won't read it, I consider it broken. Have had that happen even with the basic thumb drives described above. Friends have had similar experiences.

Have not yet had an SC card go bad that I can recall, but only use them for digital camera.

I don't throw my CD's around and store them in the jewel case, guess that is why I have never had one scratched.

Bigger concern is that CD players will no longer be made. Have a spare player now for when my primary fails. Hopefully between the two the CD player will outlive me.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Bigger concern is that CD players will no longer be made. Have a spare player now for when my primary fails. Hopefully between the two the CD player will outlive me.

While getting a CD-only player might get difficult, the BluRay standard isn’t going away anytime soon, and nearly all BluRay players are backward-compatible with CD and DVD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom