f3992cee4dbc5f6ac55524484bd896de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Bought a used Tercel with heads like that. Engine ran fine, good compression. Then did an oil change and saw that. Pulled the valve covers and it was all oil soaked ash. Thinking STP...?

When first started work, was pumping gas at a Diamond Shamrock. Lady drives in, says she thinks her oil is low. Dipstick is dry... put in 1 quart, still dry, put in a second quart, still dry. Third quart and the tip of the stick is wet. She's out of money, so have to stop there. Told her at that rate she's going to be out of a car!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My uncle was a self-taught mechanic, along with lots of other things. For engines that probably looked close to this on the inside, he'd try a shortcut. He stressed that this was a last-ditch effort to get a few more miles out of engines that otherwise would need to be rebuilt.

He'd drain the oil from a hot engine then put in one quart of kerosene and finish filling with oil. Add a new oil filter. Then he'd start the engine, run it for one minute, and drain the oil. Refill with new oil and a new oil filter. Run the engine for five minutes, stop, drain oil and discard oil filter. New filter and oil, run 15 minutes, stop, drain oil and discard filter.

Finally, a new filter and new oil completed the job.

According to him, this would break loose all the garbage and catch it in the new, quickly clogged oil filters.

I don't put much stock in all this but I saw it done to an old Pontiac Grand Prix that he gave my sister. It ran lousy, ran better after this treatment, and she drove the car throughout her last couple of years of high school.

Now, I'd love to hear from people who really know engines.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    My uncle was a self-taught mechanic, along with lots of other things. For engines that probably looked close to this on the inside, he'd try a shortcut. He stressed that this was a last-ditch effort to get a few more miles out of engines that otherwise would need to be rebuilt.

He'd drain the oil from a hot engine then put in one quart of kerosene and finish filling with oil. Add a new oil filter. Then he'd start the engine, run it for one minute, and drain the oil. Refill with new oil and a new oil filter. Run the engine for five minutes, stop, drain oil and discard oil filter. New filter and oil, run 15 minutes, stop, drain oil and discard filter.

Finally, a new filter and new oil completed the job.

According to him, this would break loose all the garbage and catch it in the new, quickly clogged oil filters.

I don't put much stock in all this but I saw it done to an old Pontiac Grand Prix that he gave my sister. It ran lousy, ran better after this treatment, and she drove the car throughout her last couple of years of high school.

Now, I'd love to hear from people who really know engines.
    Seafoam treatment is what is done now. Similar procedure.

Top Bottom