• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Never fully understood the MRI magnet thing.

I had an MRI for my knee where they slid me in half way. I looked at the metal ceiling grid, metal wires holding up the ceiling grid, metal ac register loose laid in the suspended ceiling, metal door knob, metal folder hangers on the wall, etc.

Nothing came flying towards me, or even seemed to budge a little. Not even the headphones they gave me to listen to that had the metal over the head spring wrapped inside the black plastic padding and cushion.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I had an MRI for my knee where they slid me in half way. I looked at the metal ceiling grid, metal wires holding up the ceiling grid, metal ac register loose laid in the suspended ceiling, metal door knob, metal folder hangers on the wall, etc.

Nothing came flying towards me, or even seemed to budge a little. Not even the headphones they gave me to listen to that had the metal over the head spring wrapped inside the black plastic padding and cushion.
    Aluminum, or high grade stainless steel.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Aluminum, or high grade stainless steel.

I do work on a different MRI facility and know that the items in that one are not aluminum. After a bet, we snuck a magnet in (machine was off anyway) and tested the ceiling grid. That room has metal grid, and ac register.

They moved into the space 2 years ago and haven't had the ceiling come down yet.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    https://i.imgur.com/BSu3l7v.gifv

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Iron and steel stick to magnets, other metals including austenitic stainless steels don't.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    The magnetic field is concentrated in the bore. There can be metal in the room. The field at ceiling level would be less than 5 gauss. I can guarantee your headphones had no metal in them. They are specially made for mri’s. The machine is loud and it’s common to have the patients wear headphones designed for use in that environment.

Just because the machine was off, doesn’t mean the magnet is off. It is a compressed helium cooled superconductor. Usually running single digit kelvin. To bring the magnet down would require venting a lot of very expensive helium gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m not sure who’s gonna inflate this...

9c2f35de3aae51d7912115c310a37583.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here

The magnet thing is not true. The reason that they don't want you to have metal on you when having an MRI is because it screws up the picture. At least that is what I was told by the guy running the machine.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The magnet thing is not true. The reason that they don't want you to have metal on you when having an MRI is because it screws up the picture. At least that is what I was told by the guy running the machine.

Look at the video I posted.
    It’s literally an MRI machine that’s definitely pulling stuff in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom