Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think that about every Police/Sting song that repeats the same lyrics over and over and over again.
    There have been some great songs with really repetitive lyrics. Still, sometimes I wonder about how to define repetitiveness.

Is it repeating the same lyric? Then songs like "Birthday Cake" by Rihanna would qualify. She repeats the word "cake" some 106 times during that song.

OTOH, is it just having very few lyrics? "Get Up and Boogie" and "Fly, Robin, Fly" by Silver Convention (Yes, I'm that old.) managed to hit #2 and #1, respectively, on the Billboard charts in the U.S. Both songs have lyrics comprised of just 6 words, repeated over and over. George Harrison's "I Got My Heart Set On You" only had 7 words in the song, repeated over and over.

Imagine writing those songs and getting the same songwriting credit and monetary rate of return for your work as, say, writing "American Pie." I imagine that on some days Don McLean must wonder if it was worth the effort.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    There have been some great songs with really repetitive lyrics. Still, sometimes I wonder about how to define repetitiveness.

Is it repeating the same lyric? Then songs like "Birthday Cake" by Rihanna would qualify. She repeats the word "cake" some 106 times during that song.

OTOH, is it just having very few lyrics? "Get Up and Boogie" and "Fly, Robin, Fly" by Silver Convention (Yes, I'm that old.) managed to hit #2 and #1, respectively, on the Billboard charts in the U.S. Both songs have lyrics comprised of just 6 words, repeated over and over. George Harrison's "I Got My Heart Set On You" only had 7 words in the song, repeated over and over.

Imagine writing those songs and getting the same songwriting credit and monetary rate of return for your work as, say, writing "American Pie." I imagine that on some days Don McLean must wonder if it was worth the effort.
    Ben, as I was sitting here listening to 'Heart' by Kenny Chandler (1963), my takeaway from your post was amazement that you think that remembering Silver Convention makes you old.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom