Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My dad seldom wore a suit, mainly when mom & him went out Saturday nights.
    My dad used to put on a suit just to hang around the house on weekends. I'm not sure but I think that at least once I saw him mowing the lawn while in a suit. In my favorite picture of him, he's on the front walk, wearing a suit, having his morning cigarette, at the crack of dawn on a Sunday...long after he retired! To him, suits were comfort wear.

Just one more thing I'll never understand but at least I can admire his dedication to the uniform.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    My dad used to put on a suit just to hang around the house on weekends. I'm not sure but I think that at least once I saw him mowing the lawn while in a suit. In my favorite picture of him, he's on the front walk, wearing a suit, having his morning cigarette, at the crack of dawn on a Sunday...long after he retired! To him, suits were comfort wear.

Just one more thing I'll never understand but at least I can admire his dedication to the uniform.
    Reminds me of the song by John Prine, “grandpa was a carpenter”

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

I never thought of the suit uniform connection until you mentioned it. My dad dad was an aircraft mechanic during WWII, then for the rest of his life a mechanic for a contractor running an Army Ammunition Plant. In lots of the WWII pics he wore overalls while working. That included at work or around the house he would get into his overalls if it was going to be getting dirty.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I never thought of the suit uniform connection until you mentioned it. My dad dad was an aircraft mechanic during WWII, then for the rest of his life a mechanic for a contractor running an Army Ammunition Plant. In lots of the WWII pics he wore overalls while working. That included at work or around the house he would get into his overalls if it was going to be getting dirty.
    My grandfather wore the tan Dickies work pants and shirts just about everyday. Long-sleeves in the winter and short-sleeves in the summer. He would wear a little bit nicer shirt with the Dickies pants when he went to church on Sunday. And my Granny always starched and ironed them.

Top Bottom