• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • graybeard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    I went to Academy today to purchase a pistol.
    I filled out the forms and following the process I was told that they needed to investigate me further.
    Let me fill in the gaps. Back in 99, during my divorce, I shoved my wife and she fell against the wall busting her lip. The following day she called the Sheriff's Dept. The Deputy came out and took our statements and that was it. No arrests or charges filed. Well the divorce was finalized, I got custody of our children along with the house, car and household possessions because of her issues with drugs and alcohol.
    Yesterday I got what I perceived as a threatening phone call from my crazy ex, I called the Sheriff and filed an incident report, the Deputy filed the report and left.
    I felt rather vulnerable yesterday because I don't own any weapons, that is why I decided to buy a gun today. I have been threatened in the past by me ex wife's boyfriends and I no longer want to feel the helplessness and vulnerability.
    Could any of this prompt a need for further investigation and could I be prevented from purchasing a gun, also, how long does further investigation usually take
    Thanks in advance for your answers.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I do not see where this will cause a problem buying a gun so find one and buy it. As for further investigation I can't help ya there.
    Now maybe TXinvestigator will be along and he can help in that area.
    Good luck, that's why I got ride of my ex was the dope and truck drivers.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I believe misdemeanor charges only count against one for 5 years, & since no charges were ever filed I don't feel that this is a problem for you regardless.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Misdemeanors do not keep you from purchasing a firearm. A conviction of domestic violence will.

Unless the OP was convicted, has a warrant for an offense, or has some other issue the delay is just one of those things some folks get.

graybeard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    I just called Academy and they said sometimes being born in another country will cause a delay. I was born in Germany on a military installation to US citizens.

graybeard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Also I have heard if you have an expired protective order it makes them look into it further.
    Just go with the flow.
    I never had one against me, I do have a permanent injunction against her. I was wondering if any red flags came up because I had filed an incident report because she left a threatening voice mail.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Preventing her from coming within 200 ft of the house or me and the kids. Basically the same as a protective order.

Correct. IIRC when your name is run in TCIC/NCIC it will come with a return "One or more expired protective order". This return shows that you were once a party in a protective order but it is not current.

It does not say whether you were the suspect or the victim etc so MAYBE that is what they are looking into.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Correct. IIRC when your name is run in TCIC/NCIC it will come with a return "One or more expired protective order". This return shows that you were once a party in a protective order but it is not current.

It does not say whether you were the suspect or the victim etc so MAYBE that is what they are looking into.
    Wow! I never would have thought of that one. I would think that it would at least say filed against you or by you. Huh, good to know I guess.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Preventing her from coming within 200 ft of the house or me and the kids. Basically the same as a protective order.

Not the same as a PO. A PO is enforceable by Law Enforcement on the spot. A restraining order or injunction is not. If she violates the order you have to file a motion for contempt with the court. There would then be a hearing she would be required to attend.

graybeard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    I got a "proceed" call yesterday and went and picked up my gun.
    Thanks to all who responded, I'll be checking in, from what I've seen this is a great site with a lot of information for gun owners and 2nd amendment advocates.

Top Bottom