• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I just checked today...I found out that Ammunition to Go has has HST in stock, at least in 9mm and 45 ACP (the two calibers I need). They had 9mm HST in 124+p and 147, and they had 45 ACP HST in 230+p. If anyone needs it, I'd suggest ordering some before its gone...
    Gun Zone Deals

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'm sure I'll feel stupid for asking once I get your answer, but what is "HST"? I can't view Ammo to Go from work. :(

Thanks,

Pete

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I'm sure I'll feel stupid for asking once I get your answer, but what is "HST"? I can't view Ammo to Go from work. :(

Thanks,

Pete

It's the Federal Hydra-shok tactical. the 50rd box that says Law Enforcement Ammunition on it. Lemme dig out a photo of the box for you.

EDIT: Here you go

FedHSTonbox.jpg

and the blurb from ammunitiontogo.com:

This is 45 ACP Federal Law Enforcement Tactical HST 230gr. +P Hollow Point Ammo. This is the next generation in high performance Defense ammunition. The Tactical HST Hollow Point Ammo offers consistent expansion and optimum penetration for terminal performance. A specially designed hollow point tip won’t plug while passing through a variety of barriers and this bullet holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. The HST Hollow Point is engineered for 100% weight retention and extremely impressive expansion—it’s the ammunition you’ve been waiting for. Typically this ammo is only available to law enforcement and military agencies through Federal, that is a Federal rule, not a law. We got this ammo, because we ordered it for a police department and they cancelled the order, so we can now sell it to anyone. This ammo is extremely hard for us to get and we have limited supplies. This is current production ammo and it is packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case. This ammo is IN STOCK at this time.

They have it for 28.95 + shipping which has always been reasonable to me, but they are in Brehnam, TX so you have to pay sales tax. They are not allowing walk-ins at their shop unless you have called ahead and have a rather large order to pick up. They also run about 10 days to get your product to you. Can you tell I've dealt with them once or twice?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not silly. And you are correct, it is available to all.

Provided you know the secret handshake, and your professional references check out, 6-8 weeks later you will happen to find an anonymous package slipped through your mail slot by a mysterious individual that looks strangely like the Extreme Shock tacti-cool ninjas (but he is really with Federal, I didn't say that). All you will care about is that you will have God's gift in your hands. lol j/k In all seriousness though, Federal HST is good stuff. It seems to have decent ballistics and, judging by all of the ballistics tests I've seen, it has pretty consistent expansion as well.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Provided you know the secret handshake, and your professional references check out, 6-8 weeks later you will happen to find an anonymous package slipped through your mail slot by a mysterious individual that looks strangely like the Extreme Shock tacti-cool ninjas (but he is really with Federal, I didn't say that). All you will care about is that you will have God's gift in your hands. lol j/k In all seriousness though, Federal HST is good stuff. It seems to have decent ballistics and, judging by all of the ballistics tests I've seen, it has pretty consistent expansion as well.

Texas42, this is an example of silly. Your question wasn't, Travis here, well we'll just leave it at that............

czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Here's a link to some real gel testing (done in Dale, TX) of the 9mm HST rounds (124, 124+p, 147, and 147+p...click on the highlighted words). The testing was done with a Glock 19 (4 inch barrel) and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm carbine. Makes me a believer of the 147 grain in either standard pressure or +p out of my SigPro SP2022 (3.9 inch barrel). HST is great ammo...except for shooting through auto glass, such as windshields (because it is not bonded ammunition). It seemed to shoot through everythinge else and expand at least somewhat according to Federal's LEO testing.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I've used ammo to go for a while now, matter of fact it was because I couldn't find Federal HST anywhere in stock. I have nothing but great things to say about them.
    They do also carry decent plinking ammo too

boomstick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Here's a link to some real gel testing (done in Dale, TX) of the 9mm HST rounds (124, 124+p, 147, and 147+p...click on the highlighted words). The testing was done with a Glock 19 (4 inch barrel) and a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm carbine. Makes me a believer of the 147 grain in either standard pressure or +p out of my SigPro SP2022 (3.9 inch barrel). HST is great ammo...except for shooting through auto glass, such as windshields (because it is not bonded ammunition). It seemed to shoot through everythinge else and expand at least somewhat according to Federal's LEO testing.

Wow - Can't believe you found my testing so quickly. I just put it up to share with a few friends too.

Anyway - Just wanted to say I'm glad I could help. I'm a big fan of the 147 too!

czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Boomstick (S-Mart's top of the line, by chance?),

I'm surprised I found your gel testing as well. I've looked awhile back for some gel testing for the HST 124+p (which is what I keep in my Stoeger Cougar...the mags don't like 147 grain rounds for some reason...they don't feed well through the mags), but then all I could find was gel testing on the 124 standard pressure. I keep the 147's in my SigPro SP2022 (which will feed even that weird looking extra long Remington Golden Saber 147 grain. Do you plan on doing any gel testing through denim or heavy clothing? I might be able to kick in a small donation to help the cause...

boomstick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    CZ - thanks for the offer of a small donation to help. I do not expect to do much denim or heavy clothing testing but might down the road. I would like to increase the sample size but I have to be able to find some more 147 +P!

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    i thought hydra shock had that little point in the center of the hallow point? i could be wrong but i thought hydro shock and hst were two different rounds.

Top Bottom