• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    I feel like most are always trying to lose weight, but thats not the case for me. I really started hitting the gym hard about a year ago and since then I have gained 21 pounds. (I went from 128-149) I'm happy with that weight gain but there must be a way to gain it a little quicker. I eat bulking foods like crazy, im in the gym for a few hours every day but sunday, and take all the basic supplements to gain weight and still it seems like its taking longer than it should. My goal weight is 160 and i'd really like to hit that by december. If anyones been in my shoes help a guy out haha
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How old are you? Are you male of female? How tall? What is you basic metabolic rate? How many calories are you consuming vs how many are you burning working out? What is your body fat percentage?

What is your workout regemine?

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    I'm 23, male, 5'8, my metabolic rate was extremely high but that was over 2 years ago when I did my last fitness test, and im consuming over 8k calories a day because im burning slightly over 5k but I just cant force myself to eat anymore food than what I am already.

since I had such a high metabolic rate and assume I still do with the troubles I have to gain weight, I can pretty much eat anything I want and "dirty" bulk as some like to call it. But I try to stick to healthier eating like pasta, rice, chicken, and even steak. but there are the times when I just don't have the time and have to eat fast food

and I am going for strength, I get a little cardio in on leg day but thats about the most my body sees regularly

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    I workout for an hour and a half before work everyday and 2 hours after work. obviously switching off different muscle groups everyday. Saturdays are the only day I usually see less of a workout with a 2 hour workout since I dont have to be up for work

ByrdMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Wasilla, AK
    Gotta chime in here. 8K CALORIES A DAY!! Holy shit man!! I'll help ya out, send me some of that metabolic rate for Christs sake!!

Joking aside, if you can't gain weight eating that much your body is not meant to gain it IMO. Obviously your metabolic rate will slow as you get older but right now that sucker is screamin man. Less calorie burn is all I can see.

I'm seriously at a loss here. You must shit a ton, lol......

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    You seem to be in the same boat as I was at your age. Same height similar weight. 10yrs later, I'm giving all the gains I made back due to work/lifestyle changes. You still haven't posted your regimen, other than frequency. Be specific! From what you've hinted at so far though, I'm thinking you may be working out too much. Perhaps lifting less frequently but heavier will help? Also, don't neglect compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. More gains on lower body will help weight gain. As for speedily getting to 160, don't count on it unless you do it the unhealthy way. We just aren't built that way I'm afraid! Good luck

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    playing soccer had a huge hand in that metabolic rate lol. thats truly what killed me I think, but I will say, I shit more than a seagull at a fish cleaning station.

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    peeps I do focus a lot more on upper body than I do lower. Its arms/chest 3 times a week, back/shoulders 2 times a week, and legs 2 times a week. 3 weeks out of the month are super sets and 1 week is normal reps 4 sets of 10.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    peeps I do focus a lot more on upper body than I do lower. Its arms/chest 3 times a week, back/shoulders 2 times a week, and legs 2 times a week. 3 weeks out of the month are super sets and 1 week is normal reps 4 sets of 10.

Try out rock climbing. Works out nearly every muscle group at the same time, especially once you start getting into more advanced climbs that are at overhung angles and you start having to use core strength. Add LOTS of protein (but not so much you are putting on more weight because that's extra weight you have to haul up a wall) too. I have about 35+ g of whey on rest days and about 50+ g on climbing days (I usually do a one day on one day off schedule with this). The rest of my diet is almost no grains, about 1-2 servings of fruits and 4-5+ servings of veggies a day. Add in occasional eggs, steak, bird and seafood (I usually eat actual meat about 3-4 times a week only 1 day of which is usually beef). I have toned the shit out of my upper body without really putting on any weight at all since climbing just makes your muscles MUCH more efficient instead of adding bulk. That's my 2c on the issue of staying in shape at least.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Get your thyroid checked for Hyperthyroid? That would be a big cause of extremely high metabolism.

This, and get your iodine levels checked. Many in western society now have sub-clinical goiter. Since I've supplemented with iodine (I get really good nascent iodine) I have had 0 issues with my blood sugar getting low which is something I've had problems with since I was about 10 and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia.

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    Peeps, I'll check it out.

Everyone else thanks for the help so far. I should add I am trying to add a little more bulk to my body. I've been a twig all my life.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Peeps, I'll check it out.

Everyone else thanks for the help so far. I should add I am trying to add a little more bulk to my body. I've been a twig all my life.

As long as your organs are functioning properly and you can make that twiggy frame strong then I don't see a real need to actually gain weight unless or superficial reasons.

Just look at Adam Ondra....
    RTEmagicC_adam_07.jpg.jpg

491815938_640.jpg

This kid is the epitome of twiggy and yet he is arguably the best climber on the planet right now.

Perhaps you need to work more on your own self image. I know it's tough, I've struggled with it most of my life but I've found it's better to make the most of what you have than try and achieve something that is fairly unobtainable (or that could in fact be unhealthy to obtain). That is why I love climbing so much. If anything us twiggy people have more of an advantage than the bulky guys or at least we don't have necessarily a disadvantage. If you are trying to be more bulked to impress the ladies then perhaps the ladies you would be impressing are so vain that you would have problems elsewhere in a relationship with them.

I'll stop with the psychoanalyzation now :P If you truly do have body image problems that you can't work on yourself in these ways though, it might not be a bad idea to talk to a therapist about them......okay okay I'm done.

Good luck to you w/e route you chose in life.

Last edited:

SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    As long as your organs are functioning properly and you can make that twiggy frame strong then I don't see a real need to actually gain weight unless or superficial reasons.

Just look at Adam Ondra....
    RTEmagicC_adam_07.jpg.jpg

491815938_640.jpg

This kid is the epitome of twiggy and yet he is arguably the best climber on the planet right now.

Perhaps you need to work more on your own self image. I know it's tough, I've struggled with it most of my life but I've found it's better to make the most of what you have than try and achieve something that is fairly unobtainable (or that could in fact be unhealthy to obtain). That is why I love climbing so much. If anything us twiggy people have more of an advantage than the bulky guys or at least we don't have necessarily a disadvantage. If you are trying to be more bulked to impress the ladies then perhaps the ladies you would be impressing are so vain that you would have problems elsewhere in a relationship with them.

I'll stop with the psychoanalyzation now :P If you truly do have body image problems that you can't work on yourself in these ways though, it might not be a bad idea to talk to a therapist about them......okay okay I'm done.

Good luck to you w/e route you chose in life.

Body image is the least of my worries. More from a health standpoint than anything, doctor told me I should be around 150lbs, which now I am after a year of working out and eating properly to gain lean muscle mass. But I truly want to see myself at 160lbs because in my eyes that will be the perfect median between bulky/slim. I am already engaged so women are also of no concern. Just personal preference at this point, I could say screw it but I've already gotten this far. Why not get to where I truly want to be?

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    Sometimes you body will say no to weight gain no matter what you do. Way back when I went into the Army I weight 130 and was 6 ft 4 in. and 4 years younger than you are. In basic the DI's made me the first guy in the chow line when was not bad, but they also did that so they could make me go up for seconds on everything being served at each meal. If you can't gain weight on Army food you might as well admit it's not your time to gain weight. In three months I think I gained 4 pounds. I saw other guys put on 20 and others lose 30.

I did not hit the 160's until I was in my early 30's. Now I am just now getting back down to the 240's after going on a diet when I hit 275. But I am older than dirt and found I can look at a snickers and put on 5 pounds.

Also be careful of all the "health" food (bulk) and vitamins, a guy I worked with really hit them hard and ended up in the hospital for over a month. He came close to killing himself as the doc's said he killed all the good bugs in his gi tract. Don't know if that is true but that is what he told us. I do know he spent over a month in a hospital while the docs got whatever went wrong corrected.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Hmmm trying to think how supplements could kill your gut flora. Was it just cheap crap from gnc and maybe less bio available vitamins/minerals? There is a huge difference for example between high bio available zinc picolonate and zinc gluconate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom