• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSerna93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Boerne
    I've heard of supplements killing things but not the gut flora. Very interesting, but yeah I'm not trying to hit military food just yet lol. I just barely got over the plateau of 145lbs. I was fluctuating between 142-145 for probably 2 months if not a little longer. I almost gave up at that point, im glad I didn't.
    ARJ Defense ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You are still very young and the tendency is to be slender until a certain point in life then POOF!, your weight balloons!
    The same happened in my life.

When I worked in the steel mill and in heavy industry, I bulked up from the heavy, hot work and wore a size 54-56 coat, 17" biceps. I rode 3,414 miles on bicycles in 2011 and canoed the miles of bayous around here for years. That created some strong muscles. Now, after retirement, all of that is going away and it is sagging. Hell, you just can't win!

I would resist any attempt to hasten the normal rate of maturing of your body as it may have a harmful effect on your later adult years. Remember, the Human body is geared to moderation. Most things work if done in moderation. At your age, it's important to build a strong foundation to handle the weight and stress that comes later.

8,000 calories per day may work for an Olympic athlete who is training every day, but it spells trouble for average folks like us. Give it time and don't rush the process. It will all work out!

Exercise, eat a balanced diet geared to moderation and let nature take its course. Your plight is normal. Women want boobs and try virtually everything to grow or to surgically correct their perceived shortcomings. After that surgery, they are stuck with medical issues from their poor decisions. Look down the road and make certain that what you do supports a happy, healthy life, later.

Flash

itsmekevin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2016
    I had the same problem when I was younger. I played soccer in high school, and at 5'10 and I weighed in around 120 lbs. In my late twenties (not too long ago), I decided I wanted a change. I had always been pretty skinny, so I started lifting weights trying to add muscle mass. I started doing P90x and put on some decent muscle. Then I decided I wanted to gain more mass. So at 140 lbs, I started barbell strength training and went up to 175 lbs. I used "Starting Strength" and the 5x5 routine, and only trained 3 days a week (3 days of full body).

All I did per day (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) were three compound lifts. Squatting, bench pressing, and either deadlifting or barbell rowing. Additionally, eating a high calorie/high protein diet, helped me put on a lot of mass.

Only after 1.5 years did I start doing 5 day bodybuilding splits to isolate and sculp. Now that I've been lifting for over 2 years consistently (4-5 days per week), I finally hit my goal of weight of 210 lbs. I just started cutting now weight approx. 190 lbs while still being somewhat lean.

Honestly, gaining weight is mostly diet. Dirty bulking worked for me. Also, eating right before bed and eating a lot of food right before I took a nap helped tremendously.

Last edited:

ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Being in the gym "a few hours a day" is WAY too much

If you can spend a few hours in the gym per day you're doing more talking and jerking off than actual lifting.

Hour to hour and a half TOPS

Lift hard, keep the pace constant

Dont neglect things like dips, pull ups, barbell rows, SQUATS (FFS people, train your legs), Incline barbell press (focus less on flat, more incline for a better chest), Decline press (again, less flat bench for a better chest)

I also doubt you eat 8k calories a day, Most people GROSSLY over-estimate or under-estimate their calorie consumption, im not calling you a liar, you may be a freak of nature like juan morel (who is around 280/10% when he's eating 8k a day), but I doubt that 160lb person is eating 8k calories every day

But your 2x a day workouts are a waste of time unless you're on a massive amount of gear, you're overtraining like crazy and killing your gains

MtnSpur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Colorado City, TX
    I was a competition swimmer from YMCA through college and just about tipped the scales at 170 for YEARS (take into account that I'm 6'5", or was). I did football and track as well. That burns calories fast. After the military I was probably 225, no gut, just muscle and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat. High caloric diet and constant workouts help but it'll go slow. Contracted acute vasculitis a few years ago and lost 35 lbs in a blink of an eye. Not a diet I recommend. I drank Boost by the case and my bride cooked everything under the sun to regain some of my weight so I hover about 190 +/- 5 lbs. I also am very active with horses and animal rescues so can't always get a decent meal. I avoid fast food like the plague. The stuff they pass off as "food" often times doesn't come close. My Caveat is I'm soon to be 67 (next thursday) and at 190 some lbs have good blood markers and no health issues. If I can just plateau at 200, I'd be happy but the doc says be grateful for where you are health and weight wise. I don't argue with my doctor :)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm 23, male, 5'8, my metabolic rate was extremely high but that was over 2 years ago when I did my last fitness test, and im consuming over 8k calories a day because im burning slightly over 5k but I just cant force myself to eat anymore food than what I am already.

since I had such a high metabolic rate and assume I still do with the troubles I have to gain weight, I can pretty much eat anything I want and "dirty" bulk as some like to call it. But I try to stick to healthier eating like pasta, rice, chicken, and even steak. but there are the times when I just don't have the time and have to eat fast food

and I am going for strength, I get a little cardio in on leg day but thats about the most my body sees regularly

Sounds like you might be a case for diabetes. Some diabetics start out with hyper metabolism to then crash a little later in life. I would make sure to consult your doctor before slamming tons of cals.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    What ever you eat, make sure it's clean.

No processed, refine sugars, and clean clear water

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom