• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I decided to get one of these just in case.Anyone else have one?I paid $599 for it at J&G sales.
    chicago20175_jpg_thumbnail1galil.gif
    Venture Surplus ad

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    I owned three on and off since they hit the market. First one I had, the feed ramps where not lined up right on the barrel and the gun wouldn't feed. Took it back to the dealer and got a second one that the mag well was out of spec (problem with the early release ones), returned it to the dealer and got my money back. Third one I got in trade and then traded it away again a month or two later. That one worked fairly well, but I decided with the ARs that I probably didn't need to add another logistics train to my cabinet. Was a nice shooter though.

malladus

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hope I got a good one.I am not worried as the guy's at J&G have always treated me right.I can't shoot it this weekend because I am working the gunshow.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Put 500 rounds thru it.No jamming or ejecting problems.Guess I got a good one.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Put 500 rounds thru it.No jamming or ejecting problems.Guess I got a good one.
    I hope you did.

Quite a few (whole manufacturing lots) of these have not been heat treated properly and the headspace has been reported to open up with use.

There is no way to fix this.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I've been thing about getting one of these for a while now. Does anyone know of a decent builder? I'm not looking for anything high end, just something that want blow up in my face and fuction well.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I've been thing about getting one of these for a while now. Does anyone know of a decent builder? I'm not looking for anything high end, just something that want blow up in my face and fuction well.
    A few "decent builders" won't build them.

The manufacturer of the receiver has made a big mistake, and won't stand up and take care of the customer.

Find a nice used IMI Galil, instead.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Galil/Golani-Century/J&G Sales

Have had mine over a month, shot it several hundred rounds, some Wolf, a lot of Brown Bear, and some of my brass reloads. It loves ammo like candy and no failures.

Got the one with bayonet lug and extra magazine, one is older with Israeli markings, but feeds like a champ. Have an order in to Magnolia State Armory for one of his aluminum Galil/Golani to AR15 mag adapters as I have a pile of those.

I like the rifle as much as my M4A3 AR and it is as accurate as far as I am able to determine, easier to clean and once I learned how to re install the reciever cover without losing my religion it has been a pleasure.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I bought a new Century Golani that misfed, failed to feed, failed to eject and crushed loaded rounds about half the time. I returned it for service and got another with the same and various new problems. Repeated the process two more times, same problems, and started using it as a big door jam. Returned it one more time, got another new one in return, took it to a gun show and sold it unfired to a dealer. I even told him about the problems and was told "these sell like hotcakes and most of them have problems. I don't care". It's off my conscience since the buyer was told that it was a piece of junk and wanted it! BEWARE of the mass US produced Golanis!

Custom builders like Red Jacket may do a better job.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I bought a new Century Golani that misfed, failed to feed, failed to eject and crushed loaded rounds about half the time. I returned it for service and got another with the same and various new problems. Repeated the process two more times, same problems, and started using it as a big door jam. Returned it one more time, got another new one in return, took it to a gun show and sold it unfired to a dealer. I even told him about the problems and was told "these sell like hotcakes and most of them have problems. I don't care". It's off my conscience since the buyer was told that it was a piece of junk and wanted it! BEWARE of the mass US produced Golanis!

Custom builders like Red Jacket may do a better job.
    Century has switched suppliers for their faulty receivers. They are no longer using ORF for them.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Century has switched suppliers for their faulty receivers. They are no longer using ORF for them.

I have heard the same but hear that the new supplier(s) may actually be worse than ORF.

During one of my many phone calls to Century I spoke with the "head gunsmith" in charge of assembly. He impressed me with his lack of knowlege when it came to his job. He said (I quote) "we never had any problems before yours was sent back (July 2008) and I think you were using 5.56 rather than 223 ammo which is to blame"

For the record, I tried various magazines, 223 as well as 5.56 ammo of every brand I could find. The last two rifles they sent had visible signs of their using a plumber's pipe wrench to attach the barrel to the receiver rather than gunsmith tools.

The post ORF rifles have a poor reputation and evidence of lower quality castings rather than milling the receiver. They look OK. Just avoid shooting them!

Top Bottom