Texas SOT

Game Cameras...the good, the bad and the ugly.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I decided that I need a game camera this year. Even though I have already put down a doe, my buddies place has 2 good spots to hunt from and only one game cam. Recently he spotted some nice legal bucks bearing 10-12 points, thanks to the camera. Just before the season started, we were consistently seeing a small family group with a few does and a fawn or two. Now that there are a couple of good sized bucks around, we are excited about the chance to bag one.
    It seems just a few years ago, there were only a handful of gamecams around, all at pretty high prices. Now that prices have come back down to earth, I am looking to buy. My budget is about $120 and I already have an SD card and I'm not worried about the batteries. However, are all game cams equal ? I have been eyeballing the Moultrie low glow 5.0mp cam as well as the browning range ops 6.0mp. I don't think 1 mp will make all that much of a difference. Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge in this department but would like to know which brands to avoid and which models are best suited for my price range. Anyhow, if anyone out there has some advice or experience, post it here.
    Hurley's Gold

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I had a stealth cam that took c batteries. It drained them in about 2 weeks. Good cam but needs a large external battery. I used an ammo can and a 12 volt feeder battery and it works great. Later I bought a moultrie m80 (I think maybe m50). It uses 8 aa batteries and they last months. Can go almost a whole season on one set. IMO get a cam that uses aa batteries. They're cheaper and last longer.

Sent from my Obama phone.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Got a Moultrie M50 it think, looking at it I don't see a model number, anyway it takes D cells and can eat them up pretty quick, went to a 12V external and don't worry about it anymore. IMO I would go for the highest mp count you could get, to me it really makes a difference as most of the shots will be at night and may be at the edge range of the flash where the better pic will show you more.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Between myself, my dad and his friend we've been through damn near all the game cameras out there in the last 2-3 years. The reconyx brand cameras seem to work the best. THey don't eat batteries very fast, take great night time pictures and just flat work well. Limbs blowing in the wind don't trip the camera like some of the cheaper cameras either. You definitely get what you pay for in game cameras.

Top Bottom