• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I have some good things to say about Gander Mountain but the used pistols area isn't included in that. I went in once to find a very rusty and obviously abused H&K P7 sitting in the case for a way-too-high price. I asked to look at it, anyway, and noticed the magazine had been removed for display purposes. I asked them why they did this.

Clerk #1 - "We di'n't."
    Clerk #1 to Clerk #2 who was passing by - "Where's the mag for this gun?"
    Clerk #2, shrugging shoulders - "I dunno. If it ain't there, we musta lost it and we're not gonna find it."
    Me - "Does that mean you could discount this price? Magazines cost about $80. If you reduced this price by $100, I'd consider it."
    Clerk #1, shrugging shoulders - "The price is on the tag."
    Me, handing back the pistol and dripping with as much sarcasm and contempt as I could possibly put in my voice - "Thank you for your time."

I don't think I've been back since. That's odd, since I've had a "free range visit" pass for a long time, now. I guess I don't like the place as much as I thought.

Or maybe I don't like any gun seller who puts bored-looking, unhelpful, monosyllabic children behind the counter. I got the distinct impression this bozo was screaming to himself inside his head "Get rid of this old bozo so you can stick your head back in your cell phone!", which is exactly what the three young men in that department were doing when I entered the area. ;)

As the proud owner of a well-maintained P7 German police trade-in myself, that story hurts my heart.
    DK Firearms

TGTguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Plano
    Who is actually buying from Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Bass Pro or CTD? Their gun and ammo prices are ridiculous. Anything they have in guns and ammo I can get for less at my LGS. The reason they have lots of inventory is that stuff isn't moving out the door so quick. Gander is the worst offender....I predict they will be gone in a a year from the DFW market.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Who is actually buying from Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Bass Pro or CTD? Their gun and ammo prices are ridiculous. Anything they have in guns and ammo I can get for less at my LGS. The reason they have lots of inventory is that stuff isn't moving out the door so quick. Gander is the worst offender....I predict they will be gone in a a year from the DFW market.

I think there's likely a large population of new to gun types who are afraid of just walking into a LGS environment and feel more comfortable going to a big box store. The prices likely won's scare them as much since some gun show prices have been sky high anyway, and they will actually feel like they got a better pistol if they paid more for the Taurus at Gander than they would have at a cheap discounter like Academy.

TGTguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Plano
    F350, I think you hit the nail on the head....the newbies simply don't know any better and are less intimidated in the bigger store. They don't realize they are like "prey". The margins the big box guys work on is huge compared to LGS as they can buy so much better....sometimes hundreds of dollars less per gun then they charge more....its almost a rape....lol. :beat:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    F350, I think you hit the nail on the head....the newbies simply don't know any better and are less intimidated in the bigger store. They don't realize they are like "prey". The margins the big box guys work on is huge compared to LGS as they can buy so much better....sometimes hundreds of dollars less per gun then they charge more....its almost a rape....lol. :beat:

gander doesn't make much of a margin on the guns, they make more on the gun pro plans, regular item protection plans, credit cards, and such.

TGTguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Plano
    gander doesn't make much of a margin on the guns, they make more on the gun pro plans, regular item protection plans, credit cards, and such.

While I agree with the money made on plans and credit cards I'm not sure why you think they are not making much margin on their guns. I will give you an example.....A Ruger SR556FB I just purchased from my LGS cost me $1,420.00. The gun has an MSRP of $1,995.00. Gander sells the gun for $1,899.00. The LGS paid $1,350.00 for the gun from the distributor. Gander paid probably $100 less than that. So how can you say they make no margin when they charge $480.00 more for the gun than I paid and it cost them $100 less to buy? I'd be happy to give more examples....

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    While I agree with the money made on plans and credit cards I'm not sure why you think they are not making much margin on their guns. I will give you an example.....A Ruger SR556FB I just purchased from my LGS cost me $1,420.00. The gun has an MSRP of $1,995.00. Gander sells the gun for $1,899.00. The LGS paid $1,350.00 for the gun from the distributor. Gander paid probably $100 less than that. So how can you say they make no margin when they charge $480.00 more for the gun than I paid and it cost them $100 less to buy? I'd be happy to give more examples....

I work there. I have access to RF guns that show me the margins.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX

Gander probably has more overhead than a mom/pop local gun shop. Just an idea.

TGTguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Plano
    I work there. I have access to RF guns that show me the margins.

If their POS system is showing you as a store employee the actual cost and not the overhead cost, then you should know how big their margins are. Many retail chains do not fully divulge their true costs to their employees or even store managers. The cost shown is often reflective of the product cost plus the "overhead" cost....something assigned by the company....You are probably not seeing the true gun cost. I don't know much about your neck of the woods but here in the DFW area and as most other parts of the country Gander Mountain is considered a joke to shop at for guns and ammo as their prices are beyond reasonable. If you don't believe me go over to either the Ruger forum or Sig Talk....Gander Mountain is a big thread on both and how they are beyond overpriced. In fairness, I started one of the threads but boy has it grown. Gotta go....More tomorrow....Thanks.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    I've had good experiences with the Gander in Spring and in College Station. Yes, their gun prices are very negotiable, both used and new.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    If their POS system is showing you as a store employee the actual cost and not the overhead cost, then you should know how big their margins are. Many retail chains do not fully divulge their true costs to their employees or even store managers. The cost shown is often reflective of the product cost plus the "overhead" cost....something assigned by the company....You are probably not seeing the true gun cost. I don't know much about your neck of the woods but here in the DFW area and as most other parts of the country Gander Mountain is considered a joke to shop at for guns and ammo as their prices are beyond reasonable. If you don't believe me go over to either the Ruger forum or Sig Talk....Gander Mountain is a big thread on both and how they are beyond overpriced. In fairness, I started one of the threads but boy has it grown. Gotta go....More tomorrow....Thanks.

More tomorrow? No, please stop. Nobody cares.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

Not the POS system, it's the actual physical RF gun used to scan items to print labels and give info on current vs previous prices and quantities on hand. It also shows the percentage of margins we are making adjusted to the current cost of the item. I agree on them being overpriced, however.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

First off, who's your LGS? I'm through plano often enough. Second, it sounds like your LGS is an idiot if he's selling at 5% margins. Even the FFL working out of his house usually makes more of a mark up than that. Does this LGS have an actual storefront?

I'm not saying Ganders prices are where they should be, just saying maybe I need to save some money using your source before he gives up the business.

TGTguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Plano
    First off, who's your LGS? I'm through plano often enough. Second, it sounds like your LGS is an idiot if he's selling at 5% margins. Even the FFL working out of his house usually makes more of a mark up than that. Does this LGS have an actual storefront?

I'm not saying Ganders prices are where they should be, just saying maybe I need to save some money using your source before he gives up the business.

Calling my LGS an idiot is not going to get you very far with me......They are a very legitimate store and gun range....And as a highly educated person I know how to negotiate....

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom