• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Stopped in at Gander last week, they had a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander in the used section for over 1300.00. I really like it but price sounded high. Sat. I got one on Gunbroker for 1290.00 new in the box. The used gun would have been at least 1450.00 out the door. The new one is gonna cost 1330.00 total and it's brand new. I could see Gander wanting 1395.00 for a new gun, but a used one?????

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Usually the guns value is determined by a single employee. I think they use a blue book of sorts. What condition it's in depends on the employees perception, but they have to offer the guy 60% of what they value it at so they can make profit.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I stopped by there a few weeks back and thought their prices seemed high on the used stuff too. Didn't know if that was because the store was new and there were bringing in used stuff to fill the shelf or what. They did have lots of new pistols there, but the selection wasn't as nice as I had thought it would be.

but they have to offer the guy 60% of what they value it at so they can make profit.

Do they negotiate on price any? I've never bought from them since pricing seemed out of line at the two stores I've been in. I wouldn't expect them to on new stuff, but was wondering about the used items.

dsukid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    Yeah, Gander Mountain is a real crap shoot. However, they tend strongly towards the high side. I have seen the exact same model firearm more expensive in the used section than in the new.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I thought Cabela's was bad on used gun prices until we got a Gander Mountain in Round Rock. Both times I've been there I left shaking my head.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    They are higher on average. I have been there twice. Once just to see what the fuss was about, the second time just to give them a second shot thinking their prices would maybe come down.........yea i wont go back. Even their ammo is priced high.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rt-texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    carrollton
    I was bummed with their pricing. Live 10 minutes from the one in Lewisville and have been there twice. First time for "Grand Opening", second time when wife was shopping Target next door. I'll go to Target from now on.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have some good things to say about Gander Mountain but the used pistols area isn't included in that. I went in once to find a very rusty and obviously abused H&K P7 sitting in the case for a way-too-high price. I asked to look at it, anyway, and noticed the magazine had been removed for display purposes. I asked them why they did this.

Clerk #1 - "We di'n't."
    Clerk #1 to Clerk #2 who was passing by - "Where's the mag for this gun?"
    Clerk #2, shrugging shoulders - "I dunno. If it ain't there, we musta lost it and we're not gonna find it."
    Me - "Does that mean you could discount this price? Magazines cost about $80. If you reduced this price by $100, I'd consider it."
    Clerk #1, shrugging shoulders - "The price is on the tag."
    Me, handing back the pistol and dripping with as much sarcasm and contempt as I could possibly put in my voice - "Thank you for your time."

I don't think I've been back since. That's odd, since I've had a "free range visit" pass for a long time, now. I guess I don't like the place as much as I thought.

Or maybe I don't like any gun seller who puts bored-looking, unhelpful, monosyllabic children behind the counter. I got the distinct impression this bozo was screaming to himself inside his head "Get rid of this old bozo so you can stick your head back in your cell phone!", which is exactly what the three young men in that department were doing when I entered the area. ;)

Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    They built a new Garder Mountain here in San Antonio and I have been twice. First time to pass the time 2nd time was to look at the prices of ammunition. Its just like the Primer gun shows without the cost to get in. There prices are so ridiculous. I much rather pay and support our local gun shops if I need something.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have to agree with everyone here. Nice selection but their prices suck. If they carried reloading items then I might go back but as is now, no.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I have some good things to say about Gander Mountain but the used pistols area isn't included in that. I went in once to find a very rusty and obviously abused H&K P7 sitting in the case for a way-too-high price. I asked to look at it, anyway, and noticed the magazine had been removed for display purposes. I asked them why they did this.

Clerk #1 - "We di'n't."
    Clerk #1 to Clerk #2 who was passing by - "Where's the mag for this gun?"
    Clerk #2, shrugging shoulders - "I dunno. If it ain't there, we musta lost it and we're not gonna find it."
    Me - "Does that mean you could discount this price? Magazines cost about $80. If you reduced this price by $100, I'd consider it."
    Clerk #1, shrugging shoulders - "The price is on the tag."
    Me, handing back the pistol and dripping with as much sarcasm and contempt as I could possibly put in my voice - "Thank you for your time."

I don't think I've been back since. That's odd, since I've had a "free range visit" pass for a long time, now. I guess I don't like the place as much as I thought.

Or maybe I don't like any gun seller who puts bored-looking, unhelpful, monosyllabic children behind the counter. I got the distinct impression this bozo was screaming to himself inside his head "Get rid of this old bozo so you can stick your head back in your cell phone!", which is exactly what the three young men in that department were doing when I entered the area. ;)

lol houston or spring store? They have a habit of putting people in departments they don't want to be in...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

I don't think you can hold this against Gander Mountain. Remove the word gun from the above quote and tell me how many other stores or establishments could be described by this? If Gander is the ONLY one, then congratulations. You have been more lucky than I have.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    We have boxes of 22 LR at my store in the stock room. It won't be set out till the 4th of February, so if you come by and ask if we have any before then, we will say no.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Remove the word gun from the above quote and tell me how many other stores or establishments could be described by this?
    You make a valid point. A sad point, but a valid one. What's really sad is that I'm now old enough to remember when things were very different.

Top Bottom