Gander Outdoors...

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by bjrichus, May 15, 2018.

1. bjrichus

bjrichus New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Who remembers Gander Mountain (US sports and camping retailer)? They went under a year ago. Closed up totally.

Well, at the weekend, in my part of Texas (Fort Worth), Gander Outdoors opened up for business. Same building, same store, almost the same interior to the store, almost the same kind of selection.

So I was walking round it and as with Gander Mountain, they are very much a 'recommended retail price' (RRP) kind of store, but with some very selective discounts. All the firearms looked to be about or ever so slightly less than RRP, certainly not the cheapest in town, but they do have a wide selection to handle and see how they feel to you.

Also lots of accessories that are way cheaper online... 1f937_200d_2642.png 1f937_200d_2640.png

However, they had my favorite .22LR ammo at a great price; Blazer 22LR 40 grain for $2.99 a box of 50 no purchase limits. I was carrying the stuff over to the cash register by the armful.

2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So...G Outdoors differs from G Mtn in that a few items are priced ok.

3. bjrichus

bjrichus New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You got to be careful. Plenty of stuff in there is at RRP/MSRP which is easy to get cheaper online or even at your local gun store. For me, the benefit is that they let you handle the guns you are looking at in the display case, and they have a lot of them on display.

If you are not to price sensitive then they a great place to buy from, but I for one wouldn't want to pay "full price" for much at all unless it was an emergency.

One thing is that when it was Gander Mountain, the store had a strange smell (not sure what it was), but now as "Gander Outdoors" the place has no smell at all.

4. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Active Member

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It was the stink of failure. Just give them time.

SloppyShooter likes this.
  5. SloppyShooter

SloppyShooter Certifiable

Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Well, I don't have much money, so I could only get 5 boxes.

bjrichus likes this.
  6. bjrichus

bjrichus New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Fort Worth, Texas
    At the prices they are charging, it can only be a matter of time...

Why?

Because if they were charging 5% less in this, the age of internet shopping, they'd be onto a winner. Of course, 3% is the usual retail margin, so...

7. bjrichus

bjrichus New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Any is better than none. What does he say? Never Enough Ammo? :bring:

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    SloppyShooter likes this.
  8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Was not a fan of G.M.

Will check out G.O. just for info purposes.
    Same same business model so it will fail as well.

9. TxStetson

TxStetson Well-Known

May 9, 2013
    Odessa, TX
    Actually, it is owned and operated by camping world now. The only stores that they re-opened were the higher volume gun sellers. Some of the people in the stores are the same, but the upper management is all different. Not saying they won’t fail, just saying they have better odds than before.

10. EZ-E

EZ-E New Member

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Over in my neck of the woods, in the Cypress area, they had a Gander Mountain across HWY290 from an Academy. For years as i drive by twice a day & would see the Academy parking lot full & the Gander Mt. parking lot pretty much empty & wondered how much longer before they were out of business.

The firearms were always full retail at Gander... Academy about $50-$100 cheaper & if you go to your local gun store $100-$150 cheaper.

I always wondered what upper management person had the great idea of coming to Texas with the idea of .... "Hey lets move into the Texas market & place our stores near an Academy, & mark our prices up ... we should make millions. Them Texans are'nt that state proud... surely they would support our Yankee store & not their home grown store of Academy with cheaper prices."

Chirpy likes this.