• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Yesterday I was able to get a few boxes of 40 at my local Wal-Mart. The women that usually works sporting goods started talking to me about the shortage. During our conversation she mentioned that a week or so ago, a really poorly kept woman (she said she looked like a crack head...her words) came in with a list of ammo to buy. She only had a couple boxes of 9mm and sold them to her. She then noticed the woman go down the isle and hand the ammo over to a couple of guy's. She got leary of what she saw, and called another store to tell them about this woman and her friends. The other store said they were familiar with this same woman, because she had tried to use a list and buy like 5 grand worth (yep....that's what she said) of ammo. She said the same woman came in a couple of days ago, she had only recieved a couple boxes of ammo that morning, and they were hidden behind the counter, so she told the woman she had nothing. Gang Bangers? Just my guess...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Possibly, but it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't just buy it themselves. As far as my understanding goes, which is limited, I don't believe there's a check into who's buying ammo. Couldn't they buy the ammo from wally world on their own?

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Possibly, but it doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't just buy it themselves. As far as my understanding goes, which is limited, I don't believe there's a check into who's buying ammo. Couldn't they buy the ammo from wally world on their own?

I'm just passing along the story and my guess on the situation that I found interesting.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ammo for drugs exchanges aint nothing new. There was a bust recently on the border of a guy with IIRC 100K rounds of .223 heading into Mexico. Believe it or not the Mexicans busted him. Military caliber has always been at a premium in Mexico. Lots of 1911 there in .38 super because of it.

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    If the story is accurate, sounds like the males were not legally eligible to purchase ammo (undocumented, felons, domestic violence convictions, underage, etc). Most of us take it for granted that there are still laws on the books which prevent ammo sales to some people. The sad thing is that these "straw" sales just add fuel to the fire of the Anti's to make it harder for us decent folks to keep the laws gun-friendly. Its too bad that they didn't treat it like a crime (which it may have been), especially since it would have been caught on Wally's security tape. Yea, one or two busts may have made the news and been initially a blackeye for us gunners, but we would have benefited in the long run. If we gun-friendly people did a better job of "self-policing" the real dirt bags who hid in our mists (gun carrying felons and wife beaters) then maybe the Anti's wouldn't have so much "ammo" to throw at us when they try and take away the gun rights of us law abiding citizens.... do our lifestyle a favor - make a gangbanger's life hell.... just my $.02.

FM-793

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    SW Houston - Westbury
    The "gangbangers" I've seen buying ammo and generally cleaning the shelves have been by and large middle-agish, a few extra pounds aruond the gullet, khakis and comfortable shirts. You know - suburban street gang types...

Tired Retired

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DFW Area
    Nawwww, that wasn't gangbangers... that was me dressed up like a gangbanger trying to make the Anti's think I was a large middle-agish, few extra pounds suburban street gang types... do ya think I got them fooled?

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Most of the gansta punk wanabees I see in our public schools on a daily basis, would call too much attention to themselves if they bought ammo in person. They get one of their homeboy's mothers to go get it for them, or they steal it from each other, or trade it for other commodities (????). They are too dumb to realize how destinctive they actually look on a hidden camera. The woman bought it and handed it off in the store, all of which was noticed. It is pretty obvious to me that anyone doing something like this is probably doing something illegal. The kids are too young, illegal, have a record or something that wouldn't let them buy ammo up front. With all the other policies Wal-mart has, they should require ID of anyone suspiciously buying ammo too. I know that sounds absurd, but so does having to be 18 to buy gun scrubber or WD-40.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    thats where i would put the WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE BUSINESS TO ANYONE sign into effect, i've had to do that a few times in past retail jobs that sold guns and ammo. i worked at a gun range when i was in high school, it was like a daily event turning away gang members with ak's and tech-9's.

Pocketfisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    There was plenty of ammo at the saxet show in Austin today (Sunday) the second day of the show. Even .380. Got boxes of 9mm for 16$/50. Each month it gets better. I think we're on the downhill slope of the shortage.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I was also at the Austin show, the Austin Rifle Club table, did a pass thru, lots of ammo, still, a lot of it overpriced, but getting better.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I think it must have been some public school educated halfwits who did not know you could buy ammo. Or banger wannabes who have handguns but aren's 21{ and all the over 21s in their gang are doing time}

Who knows, but I tend to take ANYTHING said by a WM employee with a grain of salt every since I was told by a WM employee{ older man, probably promoted from greeter} that it was FEDERAL LAW!!!! that I showed an ID for ammo purchase. Old fart actually yelled this at me when I corrected him, and explained the difference between store policy and law.
    I finally had a manager paged and old fart was told" Sell him the ammo"

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it must have been some public school educated halfwits who did not know you could buy ammo. Or banger wannabes who have handguns but aren's 21{ and all the over 21s in their gang are doing time}

Who knows, but I tend to take ANYTHING said by a WM employee with a grain of salt every since I was told by a WM employee{ older man, probably promoted from greeter} that it was FEDERAL LAW!!!! that I showed an ID for ammo purchase. Old fart actually yelled this at me when I corrected him, and explained the difference between store policy and law.
    I finally had a manager paged and old fart was told" Sell him the ammo"

At the Walmart on Ben White near Brodie, one time I went there about 2-3am several months ago. Just so happened the assistant manager was nearby the ammo case, and he ended up helping me get some ammo. I picked up ~3500rds of .22lr and I think ~200-300rds of 9mm. He didn't even bat an eye, never asked for ID. ;) We chatted for a bit and he was very nice. I thought that was kind of funny considering the standard company line you'll get from most WM employees about not allowing ammo sales after 10pm, have to see a DL, etc.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    If the story is accurate, sounds like the males were not legally eligible to purchase ammo (undocumented,

If this did happen your first guess would also be mine especially in san Antonio.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    At the Walmart on Ben White near Brodie, one time I went there about 2-3am several months ago. Just so happened the assistant manager was nearby the ammo case, and he ended up helping me get some ammo. I picked up ~3500rds of .22lr and I think ~200-300rds of 9mm. He didn't even bat an eye, never asked for ID. ;) We chatted for a bit and he was very nice. I thought that was kind of funny considering the standard company line you'll get from most WM employees about not allowing ammo sales after 10pm, have to see a DL, etc.

I explained to Old Fart that I had just picked up several hundred rounds of .308 across the road at Cabela's and several thousand rounds{ primers anyway} at McBride's and that they probably knew the firearms laws better than he did{ O.F. did not care for this at all} I then told him that I was sorry that he made such poor life decisions that he had to work at WM in his golden years, but no matter what you were told in your training class from Greeter to Sporting Goods Lackey, it was not federal law. I then asked him to get a manager{ If an employee refuses to to this when asked to by a customer I think they get busted back down to greeter, because whenever I have said these magic words at WM, they back off and get a manager}

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Now correct me. Do they check you ID to see your age? or if you have a DL. I'm a firm believer in using a bit of common sense when it comes to people.

My mother got ID'd at Chaco's because it is store policy. All three of her children have been legal to drink for a few years now. . . . .

The only experience I had with gang bangers was at Braken Range. Gang banger one, with his woman and AK showed up with about 3 or 4 tag alongs who were obviously in the 16ish age bracket.

Woman at the front got her husband to run off the kids, but let the AK stay and shoot. It was kind of disturbing.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Walmart has ID ed me in the past for ammo. They check for age (mostly) and I don't know what else. But I have decided that I will not show my ID anymore and if they tell me it is a federal law I will call bull shit. I have called bull shit on many things at my local WM and the managers get PO ed because I worked there in High School and they screwed me over. They just don't seem to like it much when I come back and bitch about a stupid guy trying to sound like he knows what he is talking about because that is what WM told him to say. And yes that Federal law BS is something WM tells them to say.
    Okay no more ranting

Top Bottom