• vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Who has the best box for the money?
    Kobalt, Husky? Brand X?
    I need to upgrade my mickey mouse box I outgrew 10 years ago to a good top and bottom chest and I have about $6-700 to spend
    Hurley's Gold

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm gonna say Kobalt.
    Just because I know where you are and how Lowe's will treat you later on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I bought a cornwell cart with three drawers from the pawn. It's a large cart. Lockable lid. I have it against the wall and don't move it. Holds everything I use. I think I paid around $350. The pawn always has tool boxes. From craftsman/husky to snap-on.

What sells me are solid feeling drawers that have ball bearings on the drawer rails. To be honest. A harbor freight tool box with ball bearings will do everything a snap-on will at 1/10 the price. All you do is push and pull on drawers to get a tool.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I wont buy a crapsman or harbor freight box
    I'd forgot about Cornwell

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Matco and Snap On are top notch, but I'm not a professional mechanic and I don't want to drop 5 large on a tool box.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I know they used to make good tools
    Sears will be out of business soon and that name will just continue to be sold off

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    MY harbor freight <general> holds the tools I use and the drawers slide in and out easy. It is only moved to clean the crap out from under it and that is not often.

If its going to be used and moved around multiple times a day and have 10K lbs of crap in it you might want to step up to an industrial type box.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I picked up a mid level harbor freight box about 6 years ago. It started off as my shop box and has since become my garage box now that my job provides my tools. My harbor freight box has held up great to years of use, and I have two Kobalt boxes in the shop that have been doing ok.

Sears has a NICE red and black box on the floor right now thats a top and bottom combo.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm looking for something about this size

red-and-black-textured-powder-coating-milwaukee-tool-chest-combos-48-22-8510-8520-64_1000.jpg

I like the big open top portion that I can lock up my rechargable power tools and batteries.
    Some of these have power strips in the top to run chargers which is nice

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I wont buy a crapsman or harbor freight box
    I'd forgot about Cornwell
    Don't eliminate Harbor Freight right away. The next box I buy will be their 44" box. There are lots of reviews out there and this seems to be an anomaly. The metal is thick and the slides are top notch.

Here is a thread where someone went into tons of detail: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Last edited:

SofAustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    I bought this a year or so ago. Been very happy with it. Did a lot of research before purchase. There are others in this line that are close to your desired form factor.
    Toolbox.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I actually use almost all of my tools on a weekly basis. I fix my cars and motorcycles, and friends vehicles for beer!

Edit: And i still have loose tools. Need more storage. MOAR STORAGE!

True that. I have couple shallow tubs (old cat litter boxes) full of wrenches, all brands. Lots of standard stuff. Most of the stuff I work on is metric. Then I have a five drawer file cabinet full of more tools. Extra ratchets and sockets. Extra screwdrivers of all kinds. Bolts, screws, wire, sandpaper, and electric cords I've cut off things.

Power tools are kept in the bottom of the tool cart. I bought a decent wire shelf from Home of de-pot. That's full of tools and car/motorcycle parts. Jack stands. General crap I can't find another place for.

I'd have no problem filling up a huge tool chest....but then the size of the box would squeeze what space I barely have.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Stanely, Black and Decker has already bought craftsman brand. Look on craigslist and in pawn shops you might find a real good deal.

Top Bottom