• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Don't forget to heavy mulch your beds as well to retain the moisture and protect your soil biology. I just pull back a little mulch here and there when I plant.

A bundle of peat moss or coconut shavings are great for water retension. Vermiculite works well for water retension and airation.

I got my carrots, onions, red/regular cabbage planted. If we get a freeze, it will get draped with plastic just to get them started. I have lots of other seeds germinated, but have to get some more soil for the boxes.

MMMM looking forward to some German Queens and Thessaloniki tomatoes this year.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    One thing my dad used to grow, and grew the HELL out of is okra. Texas can grow some okra. It thrives in the heat. Ate a crap ton of okra gumbo growing up.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Love me some okra and tomatoes, with a little stock, bacon and whatever meat/sausage/shrimp/etc I have handy. I'm growing a ton of okra and tomatoes this year.

I cut and flash freeze my okra. Then I vacuum seal it flat and stack it up in the freezer.

leca1130

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    I live in South Texas, still picking tomatos, cabbage, serranos and cilantro from the winter garden. I have both earthboxes and an in-ground garden(about to add a second). I would recommend for your spring garden: Tomatos, onions, peppers(type according to your heat tolerance), eggplant, okra and green beans. I've already replanted my earthboxes with Tomatos, habanero and serranos, and eggplant. Depending on where you are, wouldn't hurt to get the ground worked up and your compost mixed in, planting time is pretty close in most of Texas.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I live in South Texas, still picking tomatos, cabbage, serranos and cilantro from the winter garden. I have both earthboxes and an in-ground garden(about to add a second). I would recommend for your spring garden: Tomatos, onions, peppers(type according to your heat tolerance), eggplant, okra and green beans. I've already replanted my earthboxes with Tomatos, habanero and serranos, and eggplant. Depending on where you are, wouldn't hurt to get the ground worked up and your compost mixed in, planting time is pretty close in most of Texas.

Pix of garden? Sounds awesome.

Top Bottom