• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M8_Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Garland, TX
    Thought I would go out this afternoon and get some more rounds through the Grendels.

After last night's rain, I was worried about the flood plain on Rowlett Creek.

Called the range, got a busy signal 3 times. :confused:

Thought I would go out anyway just to see for myself, knowing what I would see. Oh Boy, the water is all the way up to Miles road on the north/Bush side.

I'm sure the range and all the structures are completely underwater.

I remember the flood they had 20+ years ago, left all kinds of mud inside the main entrance building.

I hope they reopen. Despite the bad press they get, they try to run a safe range and at $15 for the day are a fair value.
    ARJ Defense ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Is that the same range that won't let you shoot FMJ into a dirt berm and only let's you shoot one round a second? I think I shot there once.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Speaking of which....since you live in Garland maybe we could hit the range (once they dry up). I can take you out to TDSA as a visitor and you wont have to pay anything. It is a private range and allows a ton of freedom to draw from holster, set up scenarios, rapid fire.....all kinds of stuff. We even have a .22 bay with steel targets and also a handgun caliber bay with steel as well.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Is that the same range that won't let you shoot FMJ into a dirt berm and only let's you shoot one round a second? I think I shot there once.

You talking about the Garland Public Range? I haven't been there in over 2 years, dont quite remember. But it is possible.

Hence why I like the private range, lol.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    No FMJ on rifle only. If you ran a range and the city tried to close you down, you'd sure go by their rules. If you want to play commando, go where that is allowed.

TomVandyMurphyTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Murphy, TX

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like anything that's not FMJ.

Lots of options, usually more expensive than FMJ.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    HPBT are usually more accurate. But always nice to blast away with FMJ.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, I know what FMJ looks like. I know what Round Lead Nose looks like. What do these ranges expect us to use for "non FMJ"?

Does the poly tipped rounds like the A-Max or American Eagles Tipped Varmint 50 grain count?
    Or how about hollow points like https://www.freedommunitions.com/223-Rem-69-gr-HPBT-New-p/fm223h69n-b0050.htm?
    Soft point (lead nose) like https://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1935.htm?
    Any of those rounds would be good to go.

HPBT, polymer tipped, soft point, or hollow point rounds would be acceptable.

FMJ rounds tend to ricochet more than any other type. They do more damage to steel than most other rounds too.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I find it odd that most public ranges around my area in DFW don't allow FMJ. Most back in Fla. did. Frisco Gun Club and Elm Fork allow them. But Elm Fork only allows FMJ use on their 25 and 50 yard ranges.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I find it odd that most public ranges around my area in DFW don't allow FMJ. Most back in Fla. did. Frisco Gun Club and Elm Fork allow them. But Elm Fork only allows FMJ use on their 25 and 50 yard ranges.

All depends upon how the backstop is built, rules from government, rules from current owners. Elm Fork must have put more money and materials into the range that allows FMJ. Not sure? It's best to read the rules before you but that doesn't mean that they can't change the rules and not notify customers before you show up. After the Dallas range burned because of a guy shooting tracers all of the area ranges started checking more closely. I had gone to Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville with loaded mags for my AR15. Two employees took my mags, emptied them down to the last cartridge, and left it to me to clean up and toss all of the ammo (150 rounds) from the counter top and toss them into the bottom of my range bag.

Top Bottom