Gas block questions

JoeTheGreat

Aug 31, 2013
La Porte
My girlfriend's AR has a iron sight gas block and I'm am wondering what I need to do to change that. So I can put a quad rail of some sort on it. Any info would be awesome. I want to pick everyone's brain. Thanks.

jwiatrek

Jun 13, 2010
Austin TX/Karnes County TX
Unless I am misunderstanding getting a Sight-tower type gas blockoff is generally a bear. There are 2 taper pins that need to be drivin out and I know with my Stags I bent several punches before I took it to GDS Enterprise and paid them $20 bucks to driveout the taper pins. Best $20 bucks I spent. GDS is in South Austin on Ben white about a mile from I35

Also you need to decide if you want free float hand guard and if you want the gas block to be low profile and go under the forearm.

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
Jul 24, 2011
Conroe, TX
They are kind of a pain. You could also try completely destroying the front sight to where it is no longer useable again by taking a grinder with a cut off wheel along the running end of the sight right through the pins and splitting it open

JoeTheGreat

Aug 31, 2013
La Porte
Right now I'm just doing some research and figuring out exactly what she wants the gun to look like. Lol. She makes the final choice. I'm just doing the work. Lol. Things men will do for women.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
Feb 14, 2013
Borger, TX
I took my factory block off and replaced it with a low-profile block from Troy that I bought on Amazon so I could install the Troy free float hand guard. Like they said, you just need to punch out the pin.

Sent while being unproductive

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
Free float hand guard can significantly improve your accuracy. As sated earlier, after you get it off you can replace it with one that would fit under the hand guard if you wanted to or one in front of the hand guard with a sight on it. Clamp-on (with set screws) gas blocks (with or without a sight) are available and easier to deal with than driving pins out. Check out Brownell's for a large variety of gas blocks.

pvtsnowball82

Jan 28, 2009
Outside San Antonio
If you're going to get a longer rail and cover up the gas block anyway, you could take that grinder with cutting wheel and just cut off the iron sight portion of the stock gas block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics