• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeTheGreat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    La Porte
    My girlfriend's AR has a iron sight gas block and I'm am wondering what I need to do to change that. So I can put a quad rail of some sort on it. Any info would be awesome. I want to pick everyone's brain. Thanks.

jwiatrek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Austin TX/Karnes County TX
    Unless I am misunderstanding getting a Sight-tower type gas blockoff is generally a bear. There are 2 taper pins that need to be drivin out and I know with my Stags I bent several punches before I took it to GDS Enterprise and paid them $20 bucks to driveout the taper pins. Best $20 bucks I spent. GDS is in South Austin on Ben white about a mile from I35

Also you need to decide if you want free float hand guard and if you want the gas block to be low profile and go under the forearm.

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    They are kind of a pain. You could also try completely destroying the front sight to where it is no longer useable again by taking a grinder with a cut off wheel along the running end of the sight right through the pins and splitting it open

JoeTheGreat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    La Porte
    Right now I'm just doing some research and figuring out exactly what she wants the gun to look like. Lol. She makes the final choice. I'm just doing the work. Lol. Things men will do for women.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I took my factory block off and replaced it with a low-profile block from Troy that I bought on Amazon so I could install the Troy free float hand guard. Like they said, you just need to punch out the pin.

Sent while being unproductive

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Free float hand guard can significantly improve your accuracy. As sated earlier, after you get it off you can replace it with one that would fit under the hand guard if you wanted to or one in front of the hand guard with a sight on it. Clamp-on (with set screws) gas blocks (with or without a sight) are available and easier to deal with than driving pins out. Check out Brownell's for a large variety of gas blocks.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    If you're going to get a longer rail and cover up the gas block anyway, you could take that grinder with cutting wheel and just cut off the iron sight portion of the stock gas block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeTheGreat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    La Porte
    Once I start figuring out which type of rail/hand guard I wanna use then I can decide I guess which type of gas block. Great input tho. Keep it coming.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I understand the female thing, I have a wonderful wife, and two wonderful, grown daughters (:green:). If you can get her to buy into a "covered" by the hand-guard gas block, just cut your existing one down and buy the appropriate hand-guard over it to hide it! (and she'll probably never know!) :rolleyes:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I understand the female thing, I have a wonderful wife, and two wonderful, grown daughters (:green:). If you can get her to buy into a "covered" by the hand-guard gas block, just cut your existing one down and buy the appropriate hand-guard over it to hide it! (and she'll probably never know!) :rolleyes:

Haha good idea! Just make sure you do it quick and probably better while shes away from the house so you can surprise her with her new accessories. Paint the cut marks black just in case she gets curious and wants to look.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    She got kind of excited when I told her that I might even be able to find parts in different colors. Lol.

Mine is the same way. I seen a rifle called a muddy girl made by howa and she wants it. A buddy has the same one for his ol lady and its dang accurate. She also wants me to build her a pink ar15 :-/

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Not only does Brownell's have an assortment of rails & blocks, they also have comprehensive how-to-videos. They will show you how to remove the gas block pins, gas tube pin, remove the old block, install the new block, align the gas tube and install the set screws and tube retainer pin.

For your job you'll need:
    3/32 punch for the gas block pin(s)
    1/16 punch for the gas tube retainer pin
    Hammer (I use a 7oz tack hammer for more precision)
    Dead blow hammer/Rubber mallet for knocking the old sight/gas block off & tapping the armorer's tool while on the barrel nut
    Vice block or something to clamp the upper in a vice without marring the finish
    AR15 armorer's tool to remove the old barrel nut and install the new barrel nut to proper torque
    Torque wrench (barrel nut 30-80lbs — I generally set to 30lbs and increase in 10lb increments until gas tube hole is aligned)
    T-Handle allen keys for handrail mounting

Should take you about an hour start to finish if you take your time and enjoy some Guinness's

Top Bottom