Join TexasGunTalk

Gas clean-out port for Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by usedtobelockhart, Feb 18, 2020.

1. usedtobelockhart

usedtobelockhart New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    lockharttexas
    I know there are some machinists on this forum, Metal Cutter being one of them. What is the feasibility of drilling a quarter inch hole right under the bore, tapping it for a hex type small bolt, and using that hole as a way to run a wire drill into the gas hole underneath the barrel to clean it out? That way you could shoot cast bullets in your Desert Eagle. Any comments, pro or con?

2. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Not familiar with the design of a DE, but I'd probably just load copper plated or polymer plated bullets and call it good.

3. usedtobelockhart

Jan 21, 2020
    lockharttexas
    Exactly what I do now, but i've got some killer cast bullet molds that I would like to try, and dont wanta clog up the gas tunnel.

4. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Keep in mind the Desert Eagle has polygonal rifling so watch the leading.

5. usedtobelockhart

Jan 21, 2020
    lockharttexas
    Yeah, that is a fly in the ointment. Glock has the same type, and they say no lead bullets.

6. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    I shot some lead through mine when I had it. Every couple of magazines I would pull it apart and flush the gas ports with brake cleaner.

7. usedtobelockhart

Jan 21, 2020
    lockharttexas
    I chatted with MrBlackCat on the Desert Eagle forum and he said he has shot some hardcast lead in some of his Desert Eagles. He stressed HARDCAST tho. I was hoping that Metalcutter on here might respond. I used to shoot IHMSA silhouettes with him before he retired. I guess until I hear from a machinist on the feasibility of this, I'm gonna put it on the back burner. Thanks to those of you who did respond.