• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I heard the sound of sweet music this afternoon, when my wife said "Honey, let's eat steaks tonight." Like the dutiful husband I am, I went to the store, got some good looking meat + fixings. Now my grill won't get over 200 degrees. Drives me nuts. I've got a barbeque galore Captain Cook (pretty nice grill), replaced the regulator twice. I've done the whole "regulator stuck" drill - closing the tank, pulling the regulator off, opening up the grill burners - blah blah blah. Yes Google is my friend.

Advice?
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    True dat. When Marshall Gas regulators were made in AMERICA, they never failed. When they moved from San Marcos to Mexico, the still worked most times. When they moved to China - pfft. I think I'm going to root around in my BBQ wood pile and make a real fire. Hungry wife is angry.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Check your burners, from where they plug in all the way out.
    Take a air hose and blow them out. They rust and clog

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The only proper way to grill steaks is on an open fire over genuine charcoal (not briquettes).

Otherwise, just flop them onto a cast iron griddle over high heat, sear each side for one minute over a dollop of salted butter, then flip them over at four and eight minutes for a perfectly cooked medium steak. Squeeze the juice of one lime on each piece of steak and you will never have had a better tasking steak.

Gas is good for water heaters: It Sux for Bar-B-Que.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    A lot of heresy in this thread; talking about ripping out the propane and using charcoal. Heresy!

0b4976ccfe0f0dbdfb4820ed036307932029e106d2518528a677c2dcf3182242.jpg

:laughing:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Look boss da pit da pit!!!! I love my pit!! Trust on this
    I dont always drink and cook steaks! But when i do i use gas
    Stay hungry my friends.....

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I always get a kick out of it when people trash gas and say you can't cook without charcoal. There's a very small chance that everyone graciously lies time after time but I've been told on multiple occasions that my steaks are some of the best people have ever eaten and my ribs still come out excellent.

I prefer to cook with a wood fire or a smoker when I can but gas will do the job. Its more about meat choice and knowing how to cook it than the heating method. You'd be surprised at these new infrared gas grills...perfect every time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I always get a kick out of it when people trash gas and say you can't cook without charcoal. There's a very small chance that everyone graciously lies time after time but I've been told on multiple occasions that my steaks are some of the best people have ever eaten and my ribs still come out excellent.

I prefer to cook with a wood fire or a smoker when I can but gas will do the job. Its more about meat choice and knowing how to cook it than the heating method. You'd be surprised at these new infrared gas grills...perfect every time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    point

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The only proper way to grill steaks is on an open fire over genuine charcoal (not briquettes).

Otherwise, just flop them onto a cast iron griddle over high heat, sear each side for one minute over a dollop of salted butter, then flip them over at four and eight minutes for a perfectly cooked medium steak. Squeeze the juice of one lime on each piece of steak and you will never have had a better tasking steak.

Gas is good for water heaters: It Sux for Bar-B-Que.

3925430967_e12dff82cf.jpg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    LOL - I didn't intend to start another 1911 vs. Glock type discussion. I like gas for the convenience. And, yes, when I happen to be out I'll do a wood fire in the burner box of my smoker. The sticky regulator syndrome is irritating as all get out though. I finally got it going by shutting off the propane tank main valve, disconnecting the regulator from it, opening all of the burner valves for a minute or so, re-attaching everything and SLOWLY turning the tank valve on. I know it's working when the grill gets to about 500 degrees in a couple of minutes. The rib-eyes came out great.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    LOL - I didn't intend to start another 1911 vs. Glock type discussion. I like gas for the convenience. And, yes, when I happen to be out I'll do a wood fire in the burner box of my smoker. The sticky regulator syndrome is irritating as all get out though. I finally got it going by shutting off the propane tank main valve, disconnecting the regulator from it, opening all of the burner valves for a minute or so, re-attaching everything and SLOWLY turning the tank valve on. I know it's working when the grill gets to about 500 degrees in a couple of minutes. The rib-eyes came out great.

Must not be using it enough...letting it rust up and stick... :p :D

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Another thing you may try.

Turn everything off, and leave it off, if the flow mimics a leak those regulators with close, and you won't get much of any heat.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I used to have that problem with my Weber from time to time if things weren't done in the proper sequence, like opening the valve on the tank with a burner valve open. You've obviously researched how to reset this, but let me add, I remember having to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a reset.

I had mine converted to natural gas 3 or 4 years ago, and it's connected to the gas supply from the house. No more reset issues, and no worrying about running out of fuel. Step out the door, fire it up and cook away.

Top Bottom