• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I have most of the basics to to bug in for several weeks. This includes water, food, ammo & a few other goodies. I got to thinking that a gas mask would be a good idea to have. I've looked online and saw several options. Israeli civilian and Finnish gas masks seem to be fairly common along with Russian masks.
    Any reccomenations on a gas mask? Does anyone know if the filters have a shelf life?
    Gun Zone Deals

Gun Show Podcast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    For true NBC (nuclear biological and chemical) use, stay away from surplus masks. The surplus masks probably work great for tear and CS gas.

If you want/need true NBC capability buy a MSA, Avon or 3M mask from Grainger rated for whatever threat you may face.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Filters can be damaged.

None will protect you from nuclear. Radiation can't be filtered that way. Your looking at bio and Chem protection. It comes down to how small of a particle the filter can remove. I think the US milspec filters have charcoal also but I can't remember for sure.

Should be able to get the specs and match them.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have no intention of surviving a gas or nuclear attack and prepared instead to survive long enough to put up a damned good fight.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The way I figured it is if you get a mask with canisters that can survive blood/nerve agents, its good for pretty much anything else you throw at it.

Imran574

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Gas mask is to protect from the pollutants and toxic gases.

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    For true NBC (nuclear biological and chemical) use, stay away from surplus masks. The surplus masks probably work great for tear and CS gas.
    Huh? I guess the Military instructors were lying to us all those times we had to take NBC training. We were told that our MOPP gear would protect us from most choking, blistering, and nerve agents.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I have most of the basics to to bug in for several weeks. This includes water, food, ammo & a few other goodies. I got to thinking that a gas mask would be a good idea to have. I've looked online and saw several options. Israeli civilian and Finnish gas masks seem to be fairly common along with Russian masks.
    Any reccomenations on a gas mask? Does anyone know if the filters have a shelf life?
    Whatever mask you pick, make sure it has the drinking tube attached and that you have compatible canteens. The Canadian C4 gas mask Canadian Military C4 Gas Mask is one of the best in the world, if you can find one.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    You will, of course, want to buy a surplus NBC suit. Here's but one of many available: Emergency Supplies - NBC Special Forces Protective Suit and you will need some sort of Decon powder: Diatomaceous earth and activated charcoal work very well for that. Further, get yourself a military pamphlet on detecting the various types of gases that could be used against you, that freshly mown grass you're smelling may not be coming from your neighbor's yard!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Contrary to what others say, good gas masks can be found on the surplus market. You just have to know what to look for. Old, dry rubber, broken straps, cracked anything... all bad. Also realize there is a 99.9% chance the filter it comes with is expired. You can still use it to check if the mask has a good seal though. To do this:

Put on mask.
    Place palm of hand over "Hole" area in front of filter.
    Suck inward with your lungs.

Mask should suck inward towards your face and remain there until you relax your lungs. If it can't do that it must be considered useless as a life-saving device. Believe it or not I have bought perfectly serviceable Israeli gas masks off of Amazon for about $25. It has the tube for a canteen. It also takes NATO filters which are common and can sometimes be found for cheap (especially in non-panic times). Those bad filters they come with are still fine for things like CS gas, pepper spray, and even regular things you don't want to breathe like spray paint or carburetor cleaner.

Also remember the big problem with civilian ownership of gas masks is once you realize you need it, it's probably too late anyway. You'll also do well to consider what you'll be using them for. One guy bought some because he lived next to railroad tracks where chlorine was transported. Since chlorine is heavier than air and displaces oxygen, if you put on anything short of SCBA you're dead anyway.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just got my second Israeli gas mask with filter and some additional tin pots. The ultra cool east German helmet on Amazon is brand new for a very reasonable price! Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one! I like the looks of the steel pots and collecting them is fun! Cost is minimal.

I'd love to have a US Kevlar but the budget won't stand it.

Flash

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    One guy bought some because he lived next to railroad tracks where chlorine was transported. Since chlorine is heavier than air and displaces oxygen, if you put on anything short of SCBA you're dead anyway.
    Good point. Gas masks only work in environments that haven't become oxygen depleted. There are many gases that are heavier than air and if the O2 level drops below 19.5% it is generally accepted that one won't be able to "self-rescue", at least according to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.146(b). There might still be some use though in a Chlorine leak situation though. Chlorine is such an irritating gas that it is detectable at very low concentrations possibly giving one sufficient time to don the mask and flee.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Good point. Gas masks only work in environments that haven't become oxygen depleted. There are many gases that are heavier than air and if the O2 level drops below 19.5% it is generally accepted that one won't be able to "self-rescue", at least according to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.146(b). There might still be some use though in a Chlorine leak situation though. Chlorine is such an irritating gas that it is detectable at very low concentrations possibly giving one sufficient time to don the mask and flee.

Yeah, I should have made it clear a mask would be helpful as long as there isn't too much chlorine. If you're right next to RR tracks and a chlorine car goes boom, you'll probably dead before you get to your mask anyway. Even then you'd better hope you can run to safety on what little O2 is in your lungs...

At any rate, yeah, gas masks do have very limited uses, but for the prices they are going for on amazon there's not much reason not to own one. Plus, they're just so cool to have! :shades:

Ragnar Danneskjold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    A well maintained pro mask in tandem with a JSLIST or MOPP suit can protect against many chemical and biological attacks. A surplus mask on its own however is likely to fail when needed. Rubber can go bad over time. Seals can dry rot, over use can abrade the edges and cause small fissures which some agents, particularly bio, can slip through. The rubber o-rings and gaskets are highly susceptible to going bad over time. My unit has/had a pretty great CBRN NCO and he has us change out the replaceable parts once a year. If you're going to go with a surplus mask, be prepared to spend some extra cash on replacement gaskets and such, if you can even find them. Soldiers are also required to undergo a fit test with their masks where they are checked for proper seals and so forth. You won't have access to the equipment to do that with a surplus mask.

If you want to give yourself a good change against some CS gas grenades or other riot agents, a surplus mask with a new filter will probably do the job. If you're actually concerned about biological and nerve chemical agents, you need to bite the bullet and a brand new modern mask from a reputable manufacturer. Standing in a cloud of sarin is a piss poor time to realize your surplus mask has a bad seal.

Just like we always say about carrying guns. It's not the odds that truly matter, it's the stakes.

Last edited:

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    So would the 3M full face mask I use when I'm dealing with hydrochloric acid work? We jut use organic vapor filter not sure of the rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom