• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Really starting to put a hurt on me. My 01 Dodge Ram get 12 on a good day and my wife's Mazda 6 gets around 28 with her driving it. I have a 16 year old daughter wanting a car. She is simply going to either going to have to wait or get a job and pay for it herself. ( I know, another argument for another thread:p) Wife can write most of her mileage off at the end of the year because most of it is for business. The truck is paid off and I can't see getting deeper in debt to buy something that gets better mileage.

There will be a crash on oil prices because there will come a day that no one can still afford it. I just hope we can survive until that day comes.
    DK Firearms

David

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    North Texas
    My question is this: When does the price of fuel start to change the way you drive or possibly even put the idea in your head to get rid of your SUV or truck?

Anybody want to chime in?
    When we quit being a country based off of credit, people will care what gas prices are.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    When we quit being a country based off of credit, people will care what gas prices are.

I'll agree. About 5 years back I shredded any credit cards in my house, paid off any remaining balances and now all I have is a couple of debit cards. Haven't missed the credit cards... and certainly haven't missed the bills! :D

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I get 11 mpg on a vehicle that is paid for, so it is not cost effective to get a new car at this time. gas prices have affected me, but it is really hurting the local economy more as they are taking the hit (less eating out, less movies, etc).

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    My truck's a diesel and has a 45 gallon tank. Fuel is already at about $3.80 and rising almost daily.

Boat has to run 92+ octane with a 65 gallon tank. My arm will stay bent a little more this year.

Wife's new ride requires 92+ octane as well. No idea what size the tank is, but it gets pretty decent mileage and compared to the other 2, it's not even in my thought's so who cares.

We have to drive. People will bitch and moan more, but when they are at the pump; pumping and paying.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com

I think it will start to change when the operating cost exceeds all other costs of ownership - especially for drivers in marginal financial circumstances. I understand that mid-90s Civics, CRXs, Carollas, etc in working condition are hard to find on the used market because of the cost of fuel.

If the price of fuel spikes too fast, some of the working poor might not be able to afford to drive to work, which will be disruptive for industries not accustomed to paying their workers very well. The job market might become tight and prices might increase in the service industry, spilling over into the rest of the economy.

Of course, America is just now starting to pay fuel prices similar to what much of the rest of the world has been paying for decades. The exception is that we're forking the money over to the oil companies and their suppliers as opposed to taxes.

If fuel prices stay high for long, we may see actual market incentive for alternatives without the need for government to subsidize promising alternatives or otherwise interfere. Most major automakers are taking serious looks at so-called pluggable hybrids that have 10-40 miles' electric range for daily city driving and an engine/generator that kicks in seamlessly when the battery pack runs low for longer drives.

inman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Dallas
    image002.jpg

gasprices-sig.jpg

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    In the UAE / Dubai gasoline is about $1.00 / US Gallon. Just food for thought.

How much of that $1 is tax? How much of our $3.50 ($4.00+ for diesel) are taxes?

People talk about how lucky we are that it's not $5-$7 like in Europe, but as a friend who is form the UK points out quickly, most of that is tax for social programs that we don't have.

Still sucks. $164 two days ago; and I didn't bother to top it off.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    With oil at $106.00 a barrel, it looks like we are going to be looking at $4.00 plus gas by summer's end. Will this affect what kind of car you buy or drive? If not... what price will?

Texas is a big ole state! I drive a lot! This has me thinking about losing the full size GMC and buying something a little more fuel friendly.

At this point, I'm only thinking about it. But WOW gas is high.

You?

Lol...hey Jim just don't let the guys at GM-Trucks hear ya say this "blasphemy"

HighVelocity

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    $3.50 for the cheap stuff this morning. Made me feel ill when I saw the sign. I filled up yesterday @ $3.25 and consider myself lucky. We're in deep trouble...

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I just got a Chrysler Pacifica and if my wife drives it gets 19 mpg in the
    city but have'nt had it on any long trips to test hwy milage.
    It came with a sports handling package and a 3.8 v6 and has an
    autostick feature that lets you manualy shift gears and I have a hard time
    keeping my foot off the floor as it is a real kick to drive.
    Sooo when I drive it milage goes out the window.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I just got a Chrysler Pacifica and if my wife drives it gets 19 mpg in the
    city but have'nt had it on any long trips to test hwy milage.
    It came with a sports handling package and a 3.8 v6 and has an
    autostick feature that lets you manualy shift gears and I have a hard time
    keeping my foot off the floor as it is a real kick to drive.
    Sooo when I drive it milage goes out the window.

We just retired one off a lease. About the same city MPG and not much better on the HWY which isn't a surprise for a Chrysler product. We could get 22-23 on a good day. Her new CLK get 20+ in the city. The Pacifica is another example of a misengineered American Auto. It's built on the Mercedes E Class platform but shares no parts but the drive train needs a lot of work as far as matching gearing and engine power. But all around a pretty nice car with a lot of room for what it is.

The CLK of course is incredible but engineered well but also has a 6 spd auto with the manual shift option like the Auto Stick. It, like other import manufactures like Honda, uses the engine power very efficiantly. It's how Honda with 4 cyl's used to spank V6 and some V8's in performance and economy by simply tuning the drive train efficiently to use the power.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm in a pickle since I own a 4.8 Silverado, but I can't afford to trade it in. I just keep my foot out of it and top off every week which is about $30-$40 a pop.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I also have a Dodge ram 1500 long bed with the 5 point what ever 318ci
    v8 and that one I really have to keep my foot off the floor as it has a 34 gal gas tank, so I cant let it go past half and top it off once a week.
    But I like my truck so I'am not going to trade it off any time soon.

kells81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Granbury TX
    got gas in Shamrock TX yesterday at $3.64ish a gallon, its $3.41 today here in Granbury. I have 2 trucks, '02 dodge and '08 dodge Hemi, which BTW gets 20-25 mPG on the highway, closer to 13 in town though.

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Will this affect what kind of car you buy or drive?

No.

If not... what price will?

Not likely that any price would; 1) I don't commute and 2) my income is pretty much inflation-proof.

But I do recognize that it's going to hurt a lot of people. I'm afraid that it's going to get high enough that people with lower-paying jobs will hardly be able to afford to drive to work, and typically those aren't the kind of jobs that lend themselves to telecommuting or working at home.

Top Bottom