Gauging effectiveness of .45 cartridge

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by mindslant, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mindslant

mindslant New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Houston
    Sweeping around the internet I found this article: The Associated Press: 6 cops, 59 shots, 43 wounds, 1 dead man in Tenn.

I'll sum up the pertinent parts. Six officers took 59 shots in three volleys in three seconds with .45 cartridges.

I'm not trying to start the old caliber argument found everywhere, but it does raise some concerns in the pistol I'm choosing for concealed carry. I'm looking at the Glock 36 for it's reliability and ease of concealment. I understand most shootouts last less than a minute, happen within 7 yards and usually consist of three shots or less. Looking at this article, maybe 6 rounds isn't enough?

A thought occured to me, a perfectly expanded 9mm can be the size of a .50 hit but a .45 ain't gonna get smaller.

Any advice?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nothing is perfect, and honestly, 6 shots has been plenty for generations and generations of gun fights. The M1911 served in war after war and only holds 7 rounds of FMJ, but it's effectiveness is pretty widely accepted.

What counts is shot placement, caliber, power, expansion, etc. are all secondary.

An extremely determined attacker is going to be hard to put down without a center nervous hit, but I still wouldn't feel inadequate with a G36.

3. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known

Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    It's effective

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Just because he is still standing after the first "volley" does not mean the ammo was innefective. I know of several shootings where the target was standing against a wall and did not fall immediately even though there were several "fatal" shots fired.

Dead does not necessarily mean down
    Incapacitated does not necessarily mean dead/down

The human body can take incredible punishment or it can shut down from minimal damage.

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    +1 to what everyone is saying but an even bigger +1 for the highlighted. Just because you have delivered a fetal shot doesn't really mean the "target" is incapable of doing anymore harm to you. There was a gentleman that was shot 8 times, at point blank range He is still smiling to day and he won't hit his wife anymore either. And the rounds were fmj's the only reason he lived I guess, had all 8 been good hp's he'd a died for sure. So a huge caliber is great but it doesn't do a damn bit of good if you miss the target. (Witch is likely what happened here, multiple misses, fallowed by a few hits) So I'd say your 45 has been doing great for a little over 100 years, it'll work if you need it.

6. TxSgt1911

TxSgt1911 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Shot placement is 99% of the equation. I know people who have survived hits from a .357 Mag, and I've worked scenes where one shot from a .25 did the trick.

The most important thing to consider is what YOU shoot best with and what handgun YOU can handle, regardless of whether it's .380, 9mm, .40, .45, etc. It doesn't matter how big the bullet is and how many foot pounds of energy it carries at the muzzle if you can't hit with it. A hit with a .380 is still a hell of a lot more effective than a miss with a .500 Magnum.

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Would that be a kick to the grapes??

:lolz:

8. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    If you haven't seen how they tested prior to adopting the 1911 service pistol back when, this is worth the read (chapter III): http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/background.htm
    Of course, it's long before they had ballistic gelatin to see what a bullet will actually do when fired at someone.

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Amen to this, Amen!
    Wouldn't be! :rofl:

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thank you for this link to this report. :happy0001: It is a very good report for this "caliber conversation".