SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What Sage means is you should always practice making headshots. The Mozambique drill is just a drill involving that (2 to the chest, 1 to the head). A proper shot to the CNS (central nervous system/upper spine/center section of brain) is the only type of shot that will almost instantaneously stop someone 99% of the time. When in doubt, if the attacker is not stopping, the headshot is always on the table. There are documented LE accounts of attackers taking fatal shots, shots to the heart, lungs, etc and that continue to fight long enough to do some damage (research the 1986 Miami FBI shootout).

One thing I'd like to point out is, IMO, it's a good idea to mix up training drills like failure to stop drills (Mozambique for example). If you constantly train the same way, using the same drill every time, there is the possibility you may respond to an attack in that manner by default even though the situation may not warrant it. Mix up the training a bit, mix up the number of rounds used so that you don't become too used to a static drill. This should help keep you on your toes a bit as well.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Just because he is still standing after the first "volley" does not mean the ammo was innefective. I know of several shootings where the target was standing against a wall and did not fall immediately even though there were several "fatal" shots fired.

Dead does not necessarily mean down
    Incapacitated does not necessarily mean dead/down

The human body can take incredible punishment or it can shut down from minimal damage.

Exactly. And they say he had wounds pretty much all over his body. How many were after the fatal shot? Especailly if they fired that many rounds on that short of a time frame.

It's a really bad "test" of ammo ballistics. I'm 100% confident in what I carry.

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson
    The main point IMHO is that no handgun is a death ray. A bad guy can take lethal hits and potentially still keep doing bad things for a few seconds or minutes. We aren't really interested in whether a shot is lethal or not - a 22 to the stomach is plenty lethal. What we're interested in is what will make the bad guy stop doing bad things quickly enough to keep us safe, and no one shot from any caliber can be counted on for that.

Don't believe that just because you have a 45, bad guys will drop the instant that they're hit. Plan to keep shooting and moving out of the bad guy's line of fire until you see that he's no longer a threat.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sorry, What was that distance?

Death should be the farthest thing from your mind. "Stopping the threat" is number one as stated above (Would be a smart phrase to use during the Grand Jury too).

I remember a time when I'd use #8 to the face in CQ from an Ithaca model 37 and it stopped them everytime.

To this day, a capsulated shotshell is my first round with face intent.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I'm sorry, What was that distance?

Death should be the farthest thing from your mind. "Stopping the threat" is number one as stated above (Would be a smart phrase to use during the Grand Jury too).

I remember a time when I'd use #8 to the face in CQ from an Ithaca model 37 and it stopped them everytime.

To this day, a capsulated shotshell is my first round with face intent.

I assume you're using a revolver then, the shotshells won't cycle in my semi autos even with a worn spring. That's a good idea though to incapacitate with shot to the face, have you practiced with the limited spread? Even so, if I deem it neccessary to pull the trigger, it's going to be a center of mass double tap. If it warrants me pulling the trigger, the BG is going down hard and fast

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Most of the time I tote a Ruger 101 357 because its a good Ranch & Road choice (for me) like my Justin boots. My first up round is loaded with shot for snakes and the spread is perfect for coating a human head to ten feet.

I understand the center mass concept, but I'm fine with my choice.

Hopefully (I pray) most folks will never have to deploy a weapon in defense.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What Sage means is you should always practice making headshots. The Mozambique drill is just a drill involving that (2 to the chest, 1 to the head). A proper shot to the CNS (central nervous system/upper spine/center section of brain) is the only type of shot that will almost instantaneously stop someone 99% of the time. When in doubt, if the attacker is not stopping, the headshot is always on the table. There are documented LE accounts of attackers taking fatal shots, shots to the heart, lungs, etc and that continue to fight long enough to do some damage (research the 1986 Miami FBI shootout).

Even a head shot isn't a guarantee. There are instances of people retaining the ability to fight even after being hit in the head. Sometimes the angle is right and the shot is off far enough that a bullet can deflect along the outside of the skull.

As far as .45, I've read one account from a former LAPD officer who got in a gunfight and put 4 rounds of .45 Colt into someone before switching to an intentional head shot because the BG was still coming at him. And his first shot was a miss, so the head shot was with the last round in the cylinder.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I really wish they would further subdivide the statistics into LE encounters -vs- average citizen.

The Fight or Flight response is totally different.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

One upside to shot is that you can easily hit the eyes. Even with dangerous game you can blind the animal or attacker with the first shot, you gain a strategic advantage; moreso with humans obviously.

The downside is if you don't have the luxury of multiple shots the shot is not going to have the ability to cause terminal damage.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    A G36 leaves the house with me everyday and comes home with me every evening. I have never felt under gunned by carrying it. There is no magic bullet or caliber, but I think the .45 ups the odds if you get a hit just about anywhere. 100 years of tried and true don't lie.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Even a head shot isn't a guarantee. There are instances of people retaining the ability to fight even after being hit in the head. Sometimes the angle is right and the shot is off far enough that a bullet can deflect along the outside of the skull.

As far as .45, I've read one account from a former LAPD officer who got in a gunfight and put 4 rounds of .45 Colt into someone before switching to an intentional head shot because the BG was still coming at him. And his first shot was a miss, so the head shot was with the last round in the cylinder.

That's why I said "proper" shot to the CNS. ;)

I don't remember who coined the phrase, however I like this philosophy: "Shoot 'em to the ground" That says it all.

Top Bottom