• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Well folks.......I made it official. Notified my boss that I was checking out at the end of the year! Turned 62 in May and the time is just right. While we're still in good health the wife and I want to hook-up the travel trailer and go camping for more than a week or two at a time. I've been with this company for 16 + years and thought the extended notice would allow them to find a replacement that I could train before I check-out. It was a risky move in that other have given just a 2-week notice and the company told them to go ahead and leave now instead of waiting 2-weeks. Guess there was unknown reasons for this because both my immediate boss and his boss have wished me the best of luck and are trying their best to get me to stay. I appreciate their confidence in me but it's not going to change my mind.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Good luck to you on retirement. Sounds like you've got it all planned out and some good times ahead. Let's just hope the government doesn't screw us over.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Good luck to you on retirement. Sounds like you've got it all planned out and some good times ahead. Let's just hope the government doesn't screw us over.

:( Ain't that the truth! Already got screwed out of a cost of living raise next year and haven't even received first check.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I appreciate their confidence in me but it's not going to change my mind.

It's nice to be able to leave on your terms. Two of my hunting buddies are retired. They sure are enjoying retirement. Congratulations!

Now if that wife of mine would hurry up and win the lotto...
    They way my wife picks Lotto numbers, were better off just buying beer with that money.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Okie, Congratulations!! I've still got a couple more years until I get to live on nothing too! Still trying to get the wife to support me and she can just be my "sugar momma" !!;) MG

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Okie, Congratulations!! I've still got a couple more years until I get to live on nothing too! Still trying to get the wife to support me and she can just be my "sugar momma" !!;) MG

Let me know how that "Sugar Momma" thing goes! I've had that conversation with my better half as well and her comments usually go something like........"Lots a luck to you in finding someone elase who will put up with your BS." I've got almost 44 years in this one.....guess I better hang on to a good thing. Just FYI.....none of these young huchie mommas cook or clean!

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Retirement is very nice. I did the same thing you did-- almost ten years ago. Prediction--Within one year you'll be looking for a part-time job.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Another congratulations and best of luck!

The fact that they are trying to talk you into staying is a testament to how highly they value you as an employee.

See if they'll allow you to give them a shout in six months or so in case you decide you wnat to do some part timing.

I'm like many in here, doing what I can to provide for myself in retirement, but wondering if I'll be working until I fall over.

Jeff B.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Congratulations. Hope you enjoy your free time.

I have worked for the same company for the last 15 years, wish I could retire soon.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Congrats Okie. Hung mine up in June after 24 years in the same rut. Think I'm going to like this retirement thing; hope you do as well. Since we're both in Longview we ought to meet out at the range sometime and enjoy our retirement together. I'm there every Tuesday and Friday morning; come on out.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Congrats Okie. Hung mine up in June after 24 years in the same rut. Think I'm going to like this retirement thing; hope you do as well. Since we're both in Longview we ought to meet out at the range sometime and enjoy our retirement together. I'm there every Tuesday and Friday morning; come on out.

Yes sir..........right after the first of the year I'll definitely be hanging out at the range more. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Okie

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Retirement is very nice. I did the same thing you did-- almost ten years ago. Prediction--Within one year you'll be looking for a part-time job.

You could be right but hopefully I'll make it a little longer than a year. But you know what they say........never say never.

Pawdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Lake Kimble, Texas
    Congrats on your decision. I retired this past July at 50, after 23 years as a fed. LEO. It's been fun, but I'm already heading back to work next month.....part-time contract OPM investigator job too good to pass up.;)

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Congratulations, retirement is great when you have the financial security to not worry about expenses. I left my job after 24 years last march and have no regreats. Enjoy!!!!

Top Bottom