• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I allowed my kids to have sips of alcohol from the first age they asked to try.
    =============================================================

That's the way my Dad was and how I grew up, too. Of course, he was alcoholic and I had a run of it in my life, too. (28 years clean & sober now). I'm not a do-gooder or booze Nazi and my friends feel comfortable having a cool one while I'm around. Live and let live is how we do it.

That being said, the only issue I have with that sharing your drink with a kid is that is illegal to do that.

On the plus side, there is a strong case for teaching them that booze is no big deal and once they got out on their own, they were spared extended sessions in the Gin Mills.

Please know that kids learn from EVERYTHING they see and hear. Do you really want to teach your kid that it's OK to violate the law? It's easy to to teach them respect for the law like this:

Kid: "Dad can I have a sip of your beer?"
    Dad replies: "What does the law say about that?"
    Kid: "It says that is illegal."
    Dad: "That's your answer."

Sounds like you have great kids and they have a great Dad! You did a good job raising them and Kudos to you! You did, however ask what we thought.

Flash

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've got two nephews that if the power went out for more than a week would either commit suicide or go insane. I kid you not.

I know I would. I told my wife if I went a week without tv, internet, or radio to please get me some help if she saw me reach for the Houston Chronicle.

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I allowed my kids to have sips of alcohol from the first age they asked to try.
    =============================================================

That's the way my Dad was and how I grew up, too. Of course, he was alcoholic and I had a run of it in my life, too. (28 years clean & sober now). I'm not a do-gooder or booze Nazi and my friends feel comfortable having a cool one while I'm around. Live and let live is how we do it.

That being said, the only issue I have with that sharing your drink with a kid is that is illegal to do that.

Absolutely is not. A parent, legal guardian or spouse over the age of 21 may serve alcohol to their children or under-aged spouse in the latter case.

You may not ever serve alcohol to anyone else's children under any circumstances. THAT is illegal.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Absolutely is not. A parent, legal guardian or spouse over the age of 21 may serve alcohol to their children or under-aged spouse in the latter case.
    ============================================================

I noted that you are from Austin. If that's OK for Texas and I'm not doubting what you say...... that's cool. I didn't grow up in Texas. I was born and raised in Chicago. There are jurisdictions in this nation where that act of sharing with your child will get you locked up for "Child endangerment" or some other ridiculous charge.

It makes me wonder why parents who mean well, offer their children booze at home and end up with charges. HMMMM......I suspect it's the old "you may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride" story.

Let's change this around to your son driving the car without a license. "Dad can I use the car to drive to the store?" "What does the law say?".....................

Flash

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    ============================================================

I noted that you are from Austin. If that's OK for Texas and I'm not doubting what you say...... that's cool. I didn't grow up in Texas.

Let's change this around to your son driving the car without a license. "Dad can I use the car to drive to the store?" "What does the law say?".....................

Flash

Well, this is TEXAS Gun Talk, so unless someone explicitly mentions or asks about another state, I think we all assume we are discussion Texas laws.

No affirmative defense exists for driving to the store without a license.

And actually on checking the affirmative defense for consumption by a minor is "in direct view of parent, guardian or spouse". But I would never hand alcohol to anyone else's child, even if their parent were present.

I personally don't think children should be taught that "the law" or following the law is a good idea for living a moral life or deciding what is right or wrong.

Laws are about what is legal or not, not what is about what is right or wrong. Is there any moral purpose to zoning laws? Why is carrying a two edged dagger over 4 inches in length wrong or immoral?

Some laws prohibit acts that are we all agree are wrong such as murder robbery and rape, but we also have laws that say I can't obstruct the TEXAS on the top of my license plate with a license plate frame. If I do so, is that equally wrong as killing someone because it is against the law?

I don't think so and I don't think the law is a suitable moral compass.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I don't tend to tell my niece and nephew not to do things, but they understand that if I say something "isn't a good idea" and they do it anyway and get hurt that I will point and laugh at them BEFORE helping them.

It seems to make them think about their decision a little more...

BT1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    I didn't grow up in Texas. I was born and raised in Chicago.

Two different countries...

My dad told me I was conceived on a 6th St. pool table at 1:45 a.m. with Hank Williams or Ernest Tubb playing on the juke box. My mom denies it.

I remember him letting me sip from his Bud can as a small kid (church key required) while watching baseball on the tiny B&W. Neither of us turned out to be slobbering drunks.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I know I would. I told my wife if I went a week without tv, internet, or radio to please get me some help if she saw me reach for the Houston Chronicle.

Although I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy a lot of things electronics have to offer, I'm at my happiest in the boonies with no power at all.

Top Bottom