• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    In the data books for cartridges that use magnum type powder list their test with standard and not magnum primers even in magnum cartridges. If I'm going to use a magnum powder then I use magnum primers. What are y'alls thoughts?

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Go with what the book says...there may be a reason for it.

But what do you classify as a magnum powder? Just because a powder is used in a magnum named cartridge does not make it a magnum powder so to speak...example, several faster powders are listed for lighter bullets in your classic 44mag cartridge. But then you have your slower powders for your heavier bullets say H110. But moving over to the 30 carbine, H110 is a staple powder but not the only choice. H110 is also used for 300 BO and 458 SOCOM.

Nowhere in there can you truely call it a magnum powder.

Now I believe the use of magnum primers is for a dense load of slower powder to help get more of it burning sooner to help build the pressure needed.

Of course I could be way off on my speculation here.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Powders like 296, h110 and lil gun are what I use for 44mag, 50ae and 300bo and use mag primers with. Been loading that way for years, but noticed some manuals changed and online also. Haven't done any comparison testing and have no reason to do so. It runs good so no change needed. The 300bo struck me differently when using 1680 and afore mentioned powders. I use srmp and was curious on what others have done?

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I use mag primers in pretty much everything.

When working up a load I try to find a bullet and powder combination that gives 100% case fill, some bottleneck cartridges up to 5% compressed. I like the hotter, longer burn of mag primers to help ensure reliable ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I guess 2400 is considered a "magnum" powder but no magnum primer is needed. W296 and H110 I believe use magnum primers. Winchester LPP supposedly can be use as regular or magnum. I go with the book.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Magnum powder generally refers to a slower, dense powder within a range of powders for an application. H110 is considered a magnum pistol powder because it is very slow and dense for pistol loads as compared to a "light" powder like Titegroup or Bullseye. However, H110 would considered a "Rifle Bullseye" in the small rifle realm where it is very fast compared to, say, 2230/2460 or the lower RL powders.

The fact that magnum pistol powders overlap with magnum caliber handguns is no surprise since ballistics favors area under the pressure curve. Slower, denser powder give you that area and in full power loads there is no substitute. Sure you can load a 500S&W with titegeoup but come on... that 500gr projectile is begging for H110 to actually deliver.

Magnum primers (generally) provide a stronger/longer burn through either more priming compound or a more energetic mixture. Cup thickness deltas depend on manufacturer. Hard to ignite powders like H110, that is significantly deterred, needs a magnum primer, particularly in cold weather. Lots of articles on how testing in pressure barrels has shown that standard primers are often better and led to changes in the old magnum caliber gets magnum primer pairing.

I start with the manual, test, and then make a choice.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well at least in my testing with federal 200s, there was a significant reduction in fps with 2400(70). There was also a reduction with AA5 which is a ball powder but the difference was only about 20fps. The magnum primer was still slower. I believe the federal must be "magnum" only in cup thickness.

I'm also a fan on doing what the book says but there are plenty of cartridges out there where primer selection is not critical. I've been running sr mag in 223 loads for a while now and I'm seeing almost no difference throughout several loads versus standard primers.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Well at least in my testing with federal 200s, there was a significant reduction in fps with 2400(70). There was also a reduction with AA5 which is a ball powder but the difference was only about 20fps. The magnum primer was still slower. I believe the federal must be "magnum" only in cup thickness.

I'm also a fan on doing what the book says but there are plenty of cartridges out there where primer selection is not critical. I've been running sr mag in 223 loads for a while now and I'm seeing almost no difference throughout several loads versus standard primers.
    What cartridge were you referring to with the fed and 2400 combo?

Top Bottom