Generator for home during power outages

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
After the freeze and being out of power for 3.5 days, I ordered a 12,000W generator. I wired it up with 8awg via dryer plug into the panel, got a natural gas conversion kit, ran 1/2" gas pipe to it, and built a cover so it can run in bad weather. It will run off gas, propane, and natural gas. If I need to use it, it will power the entire house, A/C and large appliances seemlessly, and not need attention until the street lights come on and it's time to turn it off.
I made a YouTube video going over the setup here.
I sure hope you are using a transfer switch with that set-up.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Hold my beer....
TGT Supporter

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
It has been brought up already a few times. I'll reinforce it.

If a lineman catches you back-feeding a powerline, you will have an expensive paper weight on your hands. Trust me.
In most states, also high illegal as well.

Daley_G

My pencil misspelled a word and should be banned!
Mar 17, 2021
Cypress
I went with propane for a number of reasons. First, it doesn't go bad and you can store it a lot safer than gasoline. Second, when hurricanes it nobody's lining up to get propane like they are gasoline. Buy a few tanks and have 'em on hand. Rotate 'em out via the grill and you're golden. As an alternative, there are also conversion/add-on kits that allow you to hook the jenny to your home's natural gas line - they even sell quick-connects for the portables.

easy rider

Texas Ice Age Survivor
TGT Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Odessa, Tx
I went with propane for a number of reasons. First, it doesn't go bad and you can store it a lot safer than gasoline. Second, when hurricanes it nobody's lining up to get propane like they are gasoline. Buy a few tanks and have 'em on hand. Rotate 'em out via the grill and you're golden. As an alternative, there are also conversion/add-on kits that allow you to hook the jenny to your home's natural gas line - they even sell quick-connects for the portables.
My generator runs on both, but I have yet to use gasoline in it. You're right, it's much easier to run propane, but then I live in a 41' travel trailer so I always have propane on hand.

Daley_G

My pencil misspelled a word and should be banned!
Mar 17, 2021
Cypress
My generator runs on both, but I have yet to use gasoline in it. You're right, it's much easier to run propane, but then I live in a 41' travel trailer so I always have propane on hand.
Being a rider, you probably already know this but don't put gas in if you can avoid it. Was a service manager for a bike shop in a former lifetime up north where riding season for the weekend warriors was a few weekends a year so they'd let their bikes sit with the crap gas we have and it'd gum up the carbs (yes, dating myself). I can still hear the ranting: "$350 for a carb clean?? WHAT???" Yeah, I told you to either drain the carbs or run it for 10+ minutes once a week.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - Loving TX, Just the way I found it
Mar 5, 2020
Georgetown

“So why is a load really needed and how long do we need to run the generator? Well, what we’re trying to do is get the generator up to full operating temp in order to burn off any water vapor and the resultant acids that build up in the oil. And to do that you need at least an hour of running with the generator producing enough current to make the engine work hard and produce heat. Just idling it doesn’t work really well since it probably won’t come up to full temperature. And the worse thing you can do is run it for 5 or 10 minutes and shut it off, which is just enough time to build up a bunch of corrosive acids in the engine which will eventually rot out the exhaust system and internal oil seals. Nope, if you’re going to start up an engine, then you really should run it for at least an hour. And while running it once a month is the gold standard, I admit to being a little lazy and maybe only starting and running them every couple of months over the summer. But pick your times and put it on your maintenance calendar. “

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads