• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Since the only things upstairs are bedrooms and bathrooms, and we can only run one HVAC off the gennie, we figured just electrify as much of the first floor as possible.

This way all of the necessities - kitchen, washer/dryer, etc - have power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is a pretty good plan IMO. And makes good sense for a home that is two-story. Most two-story homes, the bedrooms are usually upstairs.

If you are able to heat the downstairs with the generator, heat rises, so at least some residual heat is going to go upstairs from downstairs. And if all that is upstairs are the bedrooms, they are not going to be used a lot anyways.
    Guns International

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    One thing that I kind of thought was rather funny were people worried about their fridge having power during the power outages during the Texas Freeze!

We never lost power, but if we had, I'd have put food outside on shelves in the garage to keep them cold. We had several days that the temperature never got above 20 degrees. Which is way colder than the temperature of 40 that I keep the fridge at.
    We put the frozen stuff on the back porch and the fridge stuff in the garage.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    One thing that I kind of thought was rather funny were people worried about their fridge having power during the power outages during the Texas Freeze!

We never lost power, but if we had, I'd have put food outside on shelves in the garage to keep them cold. We had several days that the temperature never got above 20 degrees. Which is way colder than the temperature of 40 that I keep the fridge at.
    That is what my neighbors did. A friend let me come to her house, had an always on gas fireplace, no electricity needed. However, my power was out for over 6 days, So, things warmed up and I lost everything in the fridge. So, yes, you are correct, and that could be done.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That is what my neighbors did. A friend let me come to her house, had an always on gas fireplace, no electricity needed. However, my power was out for over 6 days, So, things warmed up and I lost everything in the fridge. So, yes, you are correct, and that could be done.

In too many ways, too many people rely upon technology to solve all their problems in life, instead of using the brain that God gave them to solve problems.

Many of our grandparents, and great grandparents dealt with many of these same issues and they never even had electricity in their homes. My own grandparents didn't even own a home with electricity until the early 1950's! No fridge, no TV, no electric washing machine or dryer.

For many people even into the 1940's and 1950's, electricity in rural areas was still a luxury.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    In too many ways, too many people rely upon technology to solve all their problems in life, instead of using the brain that God gave them to solve problems.

Many of our grandparents, and great grandparents dealt with many of these same issues and they never even had electricity in their homes. My own grandparents didn't even own a home with electricity until the early 1950's! No fridge, no TV, no electric washing machine or dryer.

For many people even into the 1940's and 1950's, electricity in rural areas was still a luxury.
    I Totally agree. I first moved to Texas in 1980, around 1987 I moved to a house on 11 acres, had an electric co-op that had an annual meeting, I met many people my age, 40's at the time, that remembered the first time they had electricity! Wow, what an awakening for a city guy from the Boston area!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I Totally agree. I first moved to Texas in 1980, around 1987 I moved to a house on 11 acres, had an electric co-op that had an annual meeting, I met many people my age, 40's at the time, that remembered the first time they had electricity! Wow, what an awakening for a city guy from the Boston area!
    It's even possible in some very rural areas, that electricity was still a luxury even into the early 1960's. My great grandmother was still using a wood fired stove to cook with into the 1970's!

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    We were running four or five Aladdin lamps throughout the first floor, you best believed they keep things toasty.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Not sure if I’ve posted this in the thread before but figured I’d share it anyway since the subject of transfer switches has come up. This is an alternative method that people can go with. I installed a seperate breaker and manual interlock that prevents the main from being on when the generator is hooked up. It cost me maybe $100 between the two and I have the flexibility to run any breaker id like off the generator as opposed to wiring only certain ones into it. Only other costs are wire and plug inlet.
    That is exactly what I plan on doing to my house to have a generator hookup.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    An update to my progress. I pulled the trigger on the Generac last month and with the chip shortage and the manufacturing shortage the install won't happen until January-March of 2022. We lucked out with Hurricane Ida missing Texas but there is still more hurricane season to go.

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Looking into this one. I'm not very handy. Would this be enough to power my house if I hook up using inverter?
    Your whole house, no.
    But it would power your fridge, coffee maker, a window unit, and some lights.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    going through the thread I noticed a few transfer switch banks, just wanted to share something I thought of while doing up my system.
    I work water/wastewater treatment in my location so, in general, I won’t get any good use of the generator aside from the comfort that my wife is happy.
    When I installed the transfer switch, I wanted to ensure load equalization as best as I could, as simply as I could, so, I color coded the switches for whatever the temperature is outside and they are balanced between the two legs in the same fashion.

Just a thought I had. I know having to run a generator in the first place can be a stressful situation, trying to get all the right critical loads for that event switched right without overloading your generator would just add to it.

DB4CEC4C-54C6-4A64-973E-76750A25359D.jpeg
    6E33B2F1-C3CA-478C-8816-F96240B8C809.png

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    Generator ordered. Apparently I need a heavy gauge extension cord for the refrigerator. Suggestions? Im thinking I'll get one specifically for the fridge and another for everything else.

Thanks again

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would use heavy duty wherever you can.
    I presume that the distance from the generator, to inside the house, will be fairly far.

Top Bottom