• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have a Honda EU2000 and a Wen 3500. The Wen was purchased for the RV trailer but it's used very little.

I had a Champion 1800 but gifted it to the neighbor during last year's freeze. It was too small for my purposes and I used it just for lights while fishing/camping on the beach - I only bought it ($189) to keep from exposing the Honda to the salt water environment.

Whole house generators are great, but require lots of fuel. Natural gas may not continue to flow in a long-term scenario.

The Honda will run for a full 12 hours on a gallon of fuel and power a freezer and refrigerator (by alternating between appliances). Yep, it was a pain in the arse, but doable. I accomplished this for over two weeks after Harvey. By the time I ran out of fuel the freezer and refrigerator were empty.

When the fuel runs low, I'll transition to a dorm-sized fridge and run it just enough to keep a small amount of perishable food from spoiling- if I am able to scavage any fuel.

I keep about 50 gallons of treated fuel, plus what is in the truck. And, the EU 2000 will run a 6,000BTU window unit at night to air condition one room for sleeping.

My sister chose the whole-house generator route for her urban home, but she is a bit "high-maintenance", and can't imagine a time when the natural gas and city water could possibly cease to flow. She also thinks "long-term food storage" means living close to HEB.

Then again, she thinks I'm a nut-job...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have a Honda EU2000 and a Wen 3500. The Wen was purchased for the RV trailer but it's used very little.

I had a Champion 1800 but gifted it to the neighbor during last year's freeze. It was too small for my purposes and I used it just for lights while fishing/camping on the beach - I only bought it ($189) to keep from exposing the Honda to the salt water environment.

Whole house generators are great, but require lots of fuel. Natural gas may not continue to flow in a long-term scenario.

The Honda will run for a full 12 hours on a gallon of fuel and power a freezer and refrigerator (by alternating between appliances). Yep, it was a pain in the arse, but doable. I accomplished this for over two weeks after Harvey. By the time I ran out of fuel the freezer and refrigerator were empty.

When the fuel runs low, I'll transition to a dorm-sized fridge and run it just enough to keep a small amount of perishable food from spoiling- if I am able to scavage any fuel.

I keep about 50 gallons of treated fuel, plus what is in the truck. And, the EU 2000 will run a 6,000BTU window unit at night to air condition one room for sleeping.

My sister chose the whole-house generator route for her urban home, but she is a bit "high-maintenance", and can't imagine a time when the natural gas and city water could possibly cease to flow. She also thinks "long-term food storage" means living close to HEB.

Then again, she thinks I'm a nut-job...
    With a whole house generator, I would be putting in a propane tank.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I would be interested in the figures if someone knows about how much propane a whole -house generator, on average, would use in a 24 hr period.

A quick search indicates 2-3 gallons per hour. At the low end, that's 48 gallons per day. So a 500 gallon tank, given those figures, would be good for about 10 days.

At $3 per gallon, that's about $144 per day.

Double-check my figures - I'm not a mathematician and I don't play one on TV.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I would be interested in the figures if someone knows about how much propane a whole -house generator, on average, would use in a 24 hr period.

A quick search indicates 2-3 gallons per hour. At the low end, that's 48 gallons per day. So a 500 gallon tank, given those figures, would be good for about 10 days.

At $3 per gallon, that's about $144 per day.

Double-check my figures - I'm not a mathematician and I don't play one on TV.

Need more details for a guesstimate:
    Size and type (inverter or not) of generator
    How much of a load, can be a percentage of max output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    With a whole house generator, I would be putting in a propane tank.
    I looked into that, but I had 2 issues that prevented it:

1) I don't have a large enough property to allow the required space between a large propane tank and my house (only have 1/4 acre).
    2) The propane company won't setup and deliver if I have an all-electric house and only use the propane for an emergency generator.

The area here was without natural gas for a few days along with no power, so a lot of people were completely screwed.

That's what drove me to install the solar system.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

1) I don't have a large enough property to allow the required space between a large propane tank and my house (only have 1/4 acre).
    2) The propane company won't setup and deliver if I have an all-electric house and only use the propane for an emergency generator.

The area here was without natural gas for a few days along with no power, so a lot of people were completely screwed.

and if you have a lithium battery for night/backup you're in better shape than people with propane or natural gas. The sun doesnt go out and if it does none of it will matter anyway.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    and if you have a lithium battery for night/backup you're in better shape than people with propane or natural gas. The sun doesnt go out and if it does none of it will matter anyway.
    I do have a 13.5 kWh Tesla Li-Ion battery for backup. Just had the battery and solar system installed 8 weeks ago.
    At some point I want to get a second battery, but I'll wait until the prices come down a bit.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...

Have you posted details of your solar installation? I'm interested.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Have you posted details of your solar installation? I'm interested.
    No.
    My system is 44 LG panels with 375 watts output each panel. Hooked to a Enphase IQ gateway inverter, and a Tesla gateway and a Tesla Powerwall 2 battery

On a day like today, I'll generate around 95kWh of power and sent 42kWh of excess power to the grid.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Six weeks ago I had a power outage for a few hours because some idiot hit a utility pole. Happened again today with a hit and run accident.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Six weeks ago I had a power outage for a few hours because some idiot hit a utility pole. Happened again today with a hit and run accident.
    I have yet to have a power outage to test the battery backup we have on our solar system, but I know it's just a matter of time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We have a planned outage coming up on May 5 - they’re doing utility work in my area all day.

Looks like I’ll be giving the genny setup a good workout

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We have a planned outage coming up on May 5 - they’re doing utility work in my area all day.

That’s actually very good

1) they notified you in advance
    2) it gives the residents something to test against for a real emergency

Although it would be inconvenient, I’d be okay with a 24hr shut down with advanced notice as a test to my preparedness. We actually have a small window a/c unit we purchased capable of cooling a dedicated room along with a small countertop microwave oven for situations like this.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area

Not sure what all you need to have powered up.

But I have a 5,000 watt generator you can use if you need a second one. It has 4 - 110 outlets and 1- 220 outlet.

Let me know if you need it.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

I'm in little elm. You can use my basic generator too. It's a typical 3500 4000 with only a few hours on it. I basically test it an hour a couple times a year. It's good for a basic room AC or running refrigerator or lights and outlets in a room.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    A few things I've learned about home generators:

Those living in rural or isolated areas should consider future service needs when choosing a unit & brand. On our coasts, marine generator services also sell & service home units, and will be there after a storm or flood.

If you run electric home heating, it puts a great demand on the generator. Be sure your generator is big enough.

If you live in a hurricane area, and anticipate long-time generator use, the water-cooled units should be seriously considered.

The generator should be installed at least as high from grade as your home's floors.

Unless you live in an earthquake zone, piped-in natural gas is great. If in doubt, "dual fuel" models and/or "CNG" may be an answer.

"Been there. . . . ."

leVieux

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Thanks guys

I’ve got a 9500w setup that’ll run my entire first floor (upstairs is just bedrooms) including HVAC

That's a nice size generator. How big a tank does it have and how long will it run before having to refill it?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That's a nice size generator. How big a tank does it have and how long will it run before having to refill it?

It has an 8 gallon tank.

I’ve only run it sporadically, longest run so far has been to power a bounce house at my son’s birthday party a few weeks ago.

It was a small load ran all day on a few gallons of gas. I didn’t really track it all that much…I was mostly concerned with not filling the tank too much because I wanted to run it completely dry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom