Generator for home during power outages

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Dec 16, 2011
Central
I find it strange that people lost their fridge and freezer food during the freeze. Why not put it outside? I did and didn't loose anything. If your not home obviously that is out of your control. Just have heard that in talk about the freeze that people lost their food.

My neighbor at the time for example was talking to me about it during the freeze that all her food was going to go bad. I told her it wouldn't if she left it outside. You could tell that hadn't even crossed her mind.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Lost
I find it strange that people lost their fridge and freezer food during the freeze. Why not put it outside? I did and didn't loose anything. If your not home obviously that is out of your control. Just have heard that in talk about the freeze that people lost their food.

My neighbor at the time for example was talking to me about it during the freeze that all her food was going to go bad. I told her it wouldn't if she left it outside. You could tell that hadn't even crossed her mind.
I thought the same thing. It was way colder outside than my fridge, and sometimes at least as cold as my freezer's.

oldag

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Feb 19, 2015

Some folks just did not think about it.

We put the freezer stuff outside and the fridge stuff in the garage. Worked perfect.

diesel1959

por vida
Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 7, 2013
Houston & BFE
Fashioned an improvised load bank for my Kubota diesel genset. It's a 5600W 240V heater. By running the heater and loading down the Kubota greater than 75% of rated capacity, I hope to avoid potential wet stacking problems on that engine.

Today was the first run because the weather this weekend was so bad. I ran the Kubota for 30-minutes under this load.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mar 26, 2010
Sonora
In the case of your gas furnace: do you have to jumper the common and ground at the furnace plug to get it to turn on ? Apparently some of the lock-out sensors on some units use the ground as a signal return and some generators float and the jumper gets things going.
Sorry to get back to this so late. I do not have to jumper the grounds. I’ve run things through the transfer switch tied to common. I could see the problem if the extension cord was tied directly to the furnace with floating ground on the generator.
As well, on my bigger unit (gp8000e) for the whole house, I had to research and tear into the head a bit to break the bonded neutral to keep things safe for linemen and the gfci outlets it may power.

leVieux

Old Guy "Lost my guns in move to nursing home."
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 28, 2013
Saint Martinville, LA
>
WARNING

The voice of experience. . . . . . .

or,

I already made these mistakes:

When deciding on a permanent home standby generator placement, b/c of our usual climate, central A/C's are used to determine usual maximum load to be served.

BUT,

Most electrical resistance central heating systems actually need a greater amount of power.

It is a lot cheaper and better to just buy a larger unit to begin with.

While on this topic, the larger & more expensive "water-cooled" generator engines are quieter and require less frequent homeowner attention.

Try to not place the generator too near the room in which you usually sleep.

Elevated "pedestal" generator mounts are great, but should be "stand-alone"; not tied-in to a home's framing. You may wish to add extra insulation to outer walls near the machinery. Take care to route their engine exhaust safely away.

As natural gas service virtually never "goes out", that source of piped-in fuel is usually satisfactory. If you don't have access to gas-company piped-in gas, please consult your "gas supplier" to learn of alternatives. Dual-fuel systems are available.

Don't accept "This how this is usually done for homes" as any standard, as few homes are done properly !

Lastly, have a copy of the particular generator's service demands posted somewhere INSIDE your home, like in a utility room or electrical "box". Make sure you have the servicing agent's contact info there, too !

leVieux

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mar 28, 2008
Taylor

My case was that I lost all my fridge because power was out for 6 days and I was not home. A friend let me and my dog and cat stay at her house. She had a gas fireplace that did not need electricity. By the time I got home it had warmed up enough that the food had to be tossed. If home all would be outside!

Top Bottom