• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    After the freeze and being out of power for 3.5 days, I ordered a 12,000W generator. I wired it up with 8awg via dryer plug into the panel, got a natural gas conversion kit, ran 1/2" gas pipe to it, and built a cover so it can run in bad weather. It will run off gas, propane, and natural gas. If I need to use it, it will power the entire house, A/C and large appliances seemlessly, and not need attention until the street lights come on and it's time to turn it off.
    I made a YouTube video going over the setup here.

I sure hope you are using a transfer switch with that set-up.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It has been brought up already a few times. I'll reinforce it.

If a lineman catches you back-feeding a powerline, you will have an expensive paper weight on your hands. Trust me.

In most states, also high illegal as well.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    I went with propane for a number of reasons. First, it doesn't go bad and you can store it a lot safer than gasoline. Second, when hurricanes it nobody's lining up to get propane like they are gasoline. Buy a few tanks and have 'em on hand. Rotate 'em out via the grill and you're golden. As an alternative, there are also conversion/add-on kits that allow you to hook the jenny to your home's natural gas line - they even sell quick-connects for the portables.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I went with propane for a number of reasons. First, it doesn't go bad and you can store it a lot safer than gasoline. Second, when hurricanes it nobody's lining up to get propane like they are gasoline. Buy a few tanks and have 'em on hand. Rotate 'em out via the grill and you're golden. As an alternative, there are also conversion/add-on kits that allow you to hook the jenny to your home's natural gas line - they even sell quick-connects for the portables.
    My generator runs on both, but I have yet to use gasoline in it. You're right, it's much easier to run propane, but then I live in a 41' travel trailer so I always have propane on hand.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    My generator runs on both, but I have yet to use gasoline in it. You're right, it's much easier to run propane, but then I live in a 41' travel trailer so I always have propane on hand.

Being a rider, you probably already know this but don't put gas in if you can avoid it. Was a service manager for a bike shop in a former lifetime up north where riding season for the weekend warriors was a few weekends a year so they'd let their bikes sit with the crap gas we have and it'd gum up the carbs (yes, dating myself). I can still hear the ranting: "$350 for a carb clean?? WHAT???" Yeah, I told you to either drain the carbs or run it for 10+ minutes once a week.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown

“So why is a load really needed and how long do we need to run the generator? Well, what we’re trying to do is get the generator up to full operating temp in order to burn off any water vapor and the resultant acids that build up in the oil. And to do that you need at least an hour of running with the generator producing enough current to make the engine work hard and produce heat. Just idling it doesn’t work really well since it probably won’t come up to full temperature. And the worse thing you can do is run it for 5 or 10 minutes and shut it off, which is just enough time to build up a bunch of corrosive acids in the engine which will eventually rot out the exhaust system and internal oil seals. Nope, if you’re going to start up an engine, then you really should run it for at least an hour. And while running it once a month is the gold standard, I admit to being a little lazy and maybe only starting and running them every couple of months over the summer. But pick your times and put it on your maintenance calendar. “

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It’s similar to any engine…you don’t break them in at idle, the rings won’t seat correctly.
    But vehicle MFR’s also specify varying rpm.

Unlike a car, which varies rpm, the constant rpm of a typical generator means break-in is a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It’s similar to any engine…you don’t break them in at idle, the rings won’t seat correctly.
    But vehicle MFR’s also specify varying rpm.

Unlike a car, which varies rpm, the constant rpm of a typical generator means break-in is a little different.

Most generators have fixed RPM level, but varying the load placed on the generator changes the RPM level. By adding and subtracting the amount of load on the generator, you can then vary the RPM level.

I would also recommend after the break-in period has been completed, changing the oil and the filter with a high quality oil as well.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Most generators have fixed RPM level, but varying the load placed on the generator changes the RPM level. By adding and subtracting the amount of load on the generator, you can then vary the RPM level.

I would also recommend after the break-in period has been completed, changing the oil and the filter with a high quality oil as well.

True for inverter generator. They can output good power at varying rpm.

But a conventional generator needs to spin at a specific rpm, depending on the number of poles in the motor, to deliver 60hz power.

A 2-pole motor will have to spin at 3600 rpm…a 4-pole motor has to spin at 1800 rpm.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Do ANY of the brands have "made in USA" engines ? I imagine 'assembled in USA' from Chinese parts is as close as you can get.

I've watched lots of youtube videos of guys that repair these things and not been able to identify any engine that is not a Chinese clone.

Some are pretty good, the Honda clones especially.
    The new CO shutdown feature is not one I would ever need or trust.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The wife and I spent some time outside this morning and setup the sound-attenuation panels, recycled tire mats, etc. Ran the power cable under the mats and then exercised the genset for 30 minutes while powering all ten emergency circuits. Mrs stated that when she went in to the Master Bedroom, there was considerably less noise than there was before we placed those panels. They're made by Zombie Box.

We'll probably purchase one more panel and several more of the recycled tire mats. I still need to cut out a bunch of exposed roots though.

61807D01-45E1-4625-B034-8E1FFEE99BE0.jpeg
    9D4273A7-5F74-45E5-9244-48C823FB6E7D.jpeg
    C8791BB6-8073-4791-B10A-C074F4ABDE52.jpeg

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Here’s a list of some genies made in the USA.

I know Honda and Yamaha have some grannies made here, but they also make them worldwide so I dunno if it’s possible to find/order one made in a specific facility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Do ANY of the brands have "made in USA" engines ? I imagine 'assembled in USA' from Chinese parts is as close as you can get.

I've watched lots of youtube videos of guys that repair these things and not been able to identify any engine that is not a Chinese clone.

Some are pretty good, the Honda clones especially.
    The new CO shutdown feature is not one I would ever need or trust.
    Some of the Chinese copied engines are decent engines. Usually they are copies of the Briggs & Stratton, or the Honda engines. But the problem is, if you do need parts for repairs, they are almost near impossible to get customer support for.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Costco has a good tri-fuel one for under $900. Run nat gas line to it and it can run forever.

• 9400 Starting Watts / 7500 Running Watts - Gasoline

• 8450 Starting Watts / 6750 Running Watts - LPG

• 6900 Starting Watts / 5500 Running Watts - Natural Gas
    That looks somewhat promising, but I wonder if that's enough power to run an average whole house with central A/C if you're using NG for fuel. I'd be willing to try that since it would be so much easier than shuttling propane bottles back and forth.

Top Bottom